Water-drinking habit increases

purrrplej

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi - my mom has mentioned to me that Simba, the cat who used to live with me but now lives with my folks, has been drinking a lot more water lately than he used to. However, he still eats plenty, and is very playful and energetic, despite being 12 years old as of next month. Is the increased water-drinking something to be concerned about, or, as long as he's playful and active (and eats well), is everything fine?

Thanks!

kat89447

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My first thought with a cat that age is that you should have him checked for diabetes. Older cats can become diabetic because they don't process food the same as a younger cat. It might also be that it's just hotter or that even though he is drinking more he is actually drinking less water at the bowl than it appears. I have had a cat that became diabetic in his later years but we controlled it with diet, so it doesn't always mean daily shots. Check with your vet to have him tested also have him check your cat's teeth, sometimes a bad tooth can bring on new behaviors.

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It can be a sign of diabates and other issues so it is best to have him tested. However, it is summer and water evaporates quicker, I am filling my fountain twice as much lately as they drink more being hot and some just evaporates off so I keep some ice-cubes in the bowl too to keep it cooler.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

purrrplej

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kat89447

My first thought with a cat that age is that you should have him checked for diabetes. Older cats can become diabetic because they don't process food the same as a younger cat. It might also be that it's just hotter or that even though he is drinking more he is actually drinking less water at the bowl than it appears. I have had a cat that became diabetic in his later years but we controlled it with diet, so it doesn't always mean daily shots. Check with your vet to have him tested also have him check your cat's teeth, sometimes a bad tooth can bring on new behaviors.
Thanks... Actually, the water-drinking thing has gone on for a while, since it was cold out, so it's not because it's summer. I guess it is about time to have Simba checked out, at his age. Hopefully my folks can find a vet who makes house calls, because Simba completely panics and goes absolutely wild when taken to the vet - he's been "banned" by the vet unless it's an emergency.

blaise

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by purrrplej

...Actually, the water-drinking thing has gone on for a while, since it was cold out,.. he's been "banned" by the vet unless it's an emergency.
At 12, he is at the equivalent of 64 human years. That definitely puts him in the "senior" category...and, senior cats really should have a yearly exam including bloodwork and urinanalysis. The increased drinking - over many months would be a red flag to me and I would insist that my Vet treat it as "an emergency"...not that he has to go today, but that he does go soon.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by BLAISE

At 12, he is at the equivalent of 64 human years. That definitely puts him in the "senior" category...and, senior cats really should have a yearly exam including bloodwork and urinanalysis. The increased drinking - over many months would be a red flag to me and I would insist that my Vet treat it as "an emergency"...not that he has to go today, but that he does go soon.
Ditto ... H2o drinking can be kidney , thyroid or diabetes ... ALL are treatable if caught... could be something else also

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It could be cause of the heat or it could be cause of diabetes. Since he's an older cat, I suspect it might be diabetes. They should take him in for a complete physical and possible blood test to make sure things are ok.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

purrrplej

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

It could be cause of the heat or it could be cause of diabetes. Since he's an older cat, I suspect it might be diabetes. They should take him in for a complete physical and possible blood test to make sure things are ok.
I talked it over with my mom, and she thinks Simba has been drinking more water just because she has been refreshing it more often, and he likes it fresh and cold. She isn't concerned, because he seems in extremely good health otherwise. She wants to save him the trauma of a vet visit, even one who makes house calls. I hope it's the right decision. If it were up to me, he'd get a vet visit, but he's now in the custody of my folks, so it's their call.