Carrier Suggestions...

alwaysaangel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat is not a big fan of traveling. Honestly, the traveling doesn't freak him out. But he doesn't enjoy being trapped in a cat carrier for an hour. Being told where to be is not his thing. When I used to have my ex-bf in my car we would just let him out and he wouldn't mind traveling because he could check all sorts of stuff out, but I can't do that when I drive alone.

I've tried a hard sided carrier. He would bash his head and claws against it and learned quickly that if he did it hard enough it freaked me out and I would let him out. So I stopped using that.

Now I am using a soft sided carrier but he cries and claws at the mesh and is starting to make holes.

Any suggestions on a good, roomy, hardy carrier I could try for him that he wouldn't hate so much. The crying takes a toll on my nerves and I'm worried he's hurting his claws by scratching. It would be great if he could just relax and sleep when I drive to my parents house about once a month. Once he's there he loves it because he gets to play in the backyard and with their cat. But the two 1 1/4 hr drives to get there and back are NOT fun.

I've thought about the sleepypod since maybe he would be used to the bed already and wouldn't get so stressed but if it doesn't work I don't want to waste the money.

kkh

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cat always gets so freaked out & stressed out everytime I put her in a carrier just for a 15 min drive to vet. Aside from going to a vet is never her favorite, she'd be just like how you describe your baby is once she's put in a carrier. She can not stand to be restrained in a smaller space even for a short period of time. I am currently planning on relocation that requires approx. 12 hours+ of air travel. I've purchased a crate(vari kennel) for that and she's getting used to the view of it but I am seriously concerning if she'd be OK for staying in there for 12 hours.

Apart from the crate being sturdy(approved from IATA & major airlines), I am also worried if she may hurt herself by attacking or breaking it in order to escape.

What I was advised from other members besides the crate - I believe they'd post their suggestions, are to use Feliway, also Rescue Remedy. Both are safe products, not a sedation or anything. Feliway does not seem to calm down my baby but it does not mean that it wouldn't for yours. I must say worth give it a try. FYI, I am still "observing" to see if Rescue Remedy works for my baby, though...

Sorry it got longer but hope you'd find a better solution for your cat

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

alwaysaangel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KKH

My cat always gets so freaked out & stressed out everytime I put her in a carrier just for a 15 min drive to vet. Aside from going to a vet is never her favorite, she'd be just like how you describe your baby is once she's put in a carrier. She can not stand to be restrained in a smaller space even for a short period of time. I am currently planning on relocation that requires approx. 12 hours+ of air travel. I've purchased a crate(vari kennel) for that and she's getting used to the view of it but I am seriously concerning if she'd be OK for staying in there for 12 hours.

Apart from the crate being sturdy(approved from IATA & major airlines), I am also worried if she may hurt herself by attacking or breaking it in order to escape.

What I was advised from other members besides the crate - I believe they'd post their suggestions, are to use Feliway, also Rescue Remedy. Both are safe products, not a sedation or anything. Feliway does not seem to calm down my baby but it does not mean that it wouldn't for yours. I must say worth give it a try. FYI, I am still "observing" to see if Rescue Remedy works for my baby, though...

Sorry it got longer but hope you'd find a better solution for your cat
Thanks for the suggestions - yeah Feliway doesn't seem to help my kitty. But I can try Rescue Remedy.

I also wish I could find a way to safely secure him in the back window - I think if he could see out of the car he would be happier (on one particularly trafficy ride I held up the carrier with my hand and he stopped crying because he was too busy looking at stuff) but I haven't worked out how to do it without him rolling off yet.