How do I make pancakes???

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok everyone, i'm on to a new cooking adventure tomorrow- Pancakes!
...More specifically blueberry pancakes!

Now that being said -i have never made pancakes before, so i have no idea what i'm doing!
I don't have a griddle- but i do have a cast iron skillet and non stick fry pans so i'm wondering if that will work instead? Do i grease those? What do i do

I bought fresh blueberries, blueberry syrup, and Bisquik Heart Smart Healthy Pancake Mix (scroll down to the bottom left) http://www.bettycrocker.com/products...roduct-list.ht

I was planning to follow the instructions on the box,- but what can i do to make them turn out really well? How do i make them yummy? Any cooking tips to perfect pancakes?

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by StarryEyedTiGeR

Now that being said -i have never made pancakes before, so i have no idea what i'm doing!
I don't have a griddle- but i do have a cast iron skillet and non stick fry pans so i'm wondering if that will work instead? Do i grease those? What do i do

I bought fresh blueberries, blueberry syrup, and Bisquik Heart Smart Healthy Pancake Mix (scroll down to the bottom left) http://www.bettycrocker.com/products...roduct-list.ht

I was planning to follow the instructions on the box,- but what can i do to make them turn out really well? How do i make them yummy? Any cooking tips to perfect pancakes?
Just do not ask Eva Gabor (is that the right one?) on Green Acres. I just watched an episode of her infamous pancakes that could not be wedged from the stove top. The only thing I can add is that you have to be sure and use Texas blueberries which are right this moment in my fridge and I would send them to you if I only could.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I use a cast iron griddle but you can certainly use either the skillet or non-stick pan. I personally would prefer the cast iron. I take some waxed paper and put some Crisco shortening on it. I then lightly run the waxed paper and shortening over the pan after it is heated (I use the same piece of paper and shortening for the whole batch because you don't need a lot with the cast iron once it's hot), pour in a some batter (I use a soup ladle to pour the batter). Pour the batter fairly slowly so you don't end up with too large a pancake because it will be more difficult to flip. When you see the bubbles on the top burst, the underside of the pancake will be done so flip it. The first one or two may not be perfect because the heat will need to be adjusted but once the pan is a nice temperature your pancakes should come out golden brown and beautiful.

I also butter each pancake as I take it out, i.e., I put the cooked pancake on a warm plate, pour my next batch of batter to cook and while the one side is cooking I butter the finished pancake. Not everyone will like to do that because they won't want them buttered but I love butter and can't imagine a pancake without it.
Then of course, being a Canadian, it's lots of maple syrup for eating.

Now, can I come over for breakfast?

ETA: I'm visiting my brother in a couple weeks and he has 8 acres of blueberries - I hope to come home looking like a smurfette.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Persi & Alley

Just do not ask Eva Gabor (is that the right one?) on Green Acres. I just watched an episode of her infamous pancakes that could not be wedged from the stove top. The only thing I can add is that you have to be sure and use Texas blueberries which are right this moment in my fridge and I would send them to you if I only could.
Oh goodness!
I'm hoping we don't have any cooking disasters tomorrow
I'm a pretty good cook most of the time- but i've never attempted pancakes though so we'll see how that goes!

(I will have to try and watch that episode some time -sounds funny!)

I've got Driscolls blueberries!
(That company sends out most of the berries sold in this area -they're usually pretty yummy!
) Those Texas blueberries do sounds good though!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

I use a cast iron griddle but you can certainly use either the skillet or non-stick pan. I personally would prefer the cast iron. I take some waxed paper and put some Crisco shortening on it. I then lightly oil the pan after it is heated (I use the same piece of paper and shortening for the whole batch because you don't need a lot with the cast iron once it's hot), pour in a soup ladle of batter. When you see the bubbles on the top burst, the underside of the pancake will be done so flip it. The first one or two may not be perfect because the heat will need to be adjusted but once the pan is a nice temperature your pancakes should come out golden brown and beautiful.

I also butter each pancake as I take it out, i.e., I put the cooked pancake on a warm plate, pour my next batch of batter to cook and while the one side is cooking I butter the finished pancake. Not everyone will like to do that because they won't want them buttered but I love butter and can't imagine a pancake without it.
Then of course, being a Canadian, it's lots of maple syrup for eating.

Now, can I come over for breakfast?
Thank you!!!
Those are some good tips! And of course you can come over for breakfast

One thing though- i don't have shortening at all. What can i use instead? I have Extra virgin olive oil, canola oil, and butter spread- would butter work? Do i just put the butter on top of the wax paper and leave that in the cast iron skillet the whole time? (it won't burn
) / I like the ladle idea
I'll definitely use one to scoop out the batter!

I love butter and syrup on my pancakes too! Haha we'd get along well
I bought blueberry syrup too (figure it'd go well with the blueberry pancakes!
)

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ah, a favorite subject of mine! Here's everything I know...

Yes, a skillet will work fine, it's just a little harder to turn them. Canola oil is a good choice, but use it pretty sparingly. You want a fairly high temperature for these, so they'll stay tender on the inside. Be sure the oil is hot before you add the batter -- you can run your fingers under the faucet and sprinkle the water at the skillet, and if it crackles, it's ready.

If you have a ladle, that's a good way to put the batter in. I like to make the pancakes a little bit small, so they won't run into each other, and so turning will be easier.

Watch the bubbles that form on the surface of the batter. When most of them have popped, the pancakes are ready to turn. The second side won't take as long as the first, so watch 'em closely, edging them up to check for brownness.

When they're done, lay them out on papertowels on a cookie sheet... and if you aren't ready to serve them, you can slip the cookie sheet into a slightly warm oven for a few minutes.

You'll need to add oil between batches (if you don't need to, you're using too much!), so be sure it's hot again before you start the second set.

A trick for those blueberries: if you dust them with pancake mix before you add them, they won't bleed purple into the batter quite so much!

Now... are we all invited?

_________

Ha! Looks like some others had the same ideas!

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
AUGH! No, don't use butter in the skillet -- it'll burn up in the heat. And don't use olive oil, because it'll taste all wrong. Canola!

And I'm sure she didn't mean to leave the waxed paper in the skillet!

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Thank you!!!
Those are some good tips! And of course you can come over for breakfast

One thing though- i don't have shortening at all. What can i use instead? I have Extra virgin olive oil, canola oil, and butter spread- would butter work? Do i just put the butter on top of the wax paper and leave that in the cast iron skillet the whole time? (it won't burn
) / I like the ladle idea
I'll definitely use one to scoop out the batter!

I love butter and syrup on my pancakes too! Haha we'd get along well
I bought blueberry syrup too (figure it'd go well with the blueberry pancakes!
)
No, no, don't put the waxed paper in the skillet. You just want to use it to "wipe" oil onto the cooking surface before putting in the batter each time. I would also recommend the Canola oil over olive oil or butter. Butter burns easily so no, don't use butter and olive oil is too heavy an oil for pancakes.

CarolPetunia has a good point - take some of the dry batter mix that you have measured out for the pancakes and coat the blueberries with it to prevent the colour from running. It also prevents the berries from sinking to the bottom of the batter. I would also mix the batter up before adding the blueberries. I do that with all my fruit when I make my fruitcakes.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bisquik makes pretty good pancake mixes. Just follow the box and then gently stir in some fresh blueberries.

Make sure the pan is nonstick. I also suggest spraying it with nonstick spray.

Don't make the pancakes too big, otherwise they are too thick in the middle, don't cook well and are hard to turn over.

Pour a ladel or 2 of batter into the centre of the pan. Tilt the pan to spread it out a bit. Don't turn the pancake until you see bubbles forming on the top. Turn over and cook until the bottom is golden brown.

mbrcpr

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
A tip I heard on a show about IHOP is that you should use cold water to mix the batter. I believe they use water that is no warmer than 50* F. It can take a bit of time to get the hang of it, but pancakes are pretty easy (although a bit messy) once you get used to it. Also, wash your bowl that the batter was in RIGHT AWAY. Dried on pancake batter is a big pain to get off things! Wipe up spills right away! Don't let it dry!

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They pretty much covered it, but here's a little advice that ruined her first 3 tries at pancakes. I used to always try to turn them when the bubble started to form on the top....don't do that. You need to wait until they are actually popping (as it in looks like it is boiling) and you will probably see it turning brown on the edges. I've never done them in a cask iron skillet so they may react differently. On a griddle it is a timing thing. There is less than a minute between turning and having the bottom be perfect, and turning late and having the bottom be black and the smoke alarm going off (No, I'm not speaking from experience or anything!
)

Mmmm...blueberry pancakes! I haven't had them in years! That used to be my grandfather's specialty. May have to try them soon. Also, bananas in pancakes are awesome if they are done right. I had them once on vacation and I was in love! I've tried them since, but I just don't have the touch.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

Ah, a favorite subject of mine! Here's everything I know...

Yes, a skillet will work fine, it's just a little harder to turn them. Canola oil is a good choice, but use it pretty sparingly. You want a fairly high temperature for these, so they'll stay tender on the inside. Be sure the oil is hot before you add the batter -- you can run your fingers under the faucet and sprinkle the water at the skillet, and if it crackles, it's ready.

If you have a ladle, that's a good way to put the batter in. I like to make the pancakes a little bit small, so they won't run into each other, and so turning will be easier.

Watch the bubbles that form on the surface of the batter. When most of them have popped, the pancakes are ready to turn. The second side won't take as long as the first, so watch 'em closely, edging them up to check for brownness.

When they're done, lay them out on papertowels on a cookie sheet... and if you aren't ready to serve them, you can slip the cookie sheet into a slightly warm oven for a few minutes.

You'll need to add oil between batches (if you don't need to, you're using too much!), so be sure it's hot again before you start the second set.

A trick for those blueberries: if you dust them with pancake mix before you add them, they won't bleed purple into the batter quite so much!

Now... are we all invited?

_________

Ha! Looks like some others had the same ideas!
Of course! Everyone is invited!!! Thank you for all of the great tips!!!!
(I love the blueberry tip! Will do!)

Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

AUGH! No, don't use butter in the skillet -- it'll burn up in the heat. And don't use olive oil, because it'll taste all wrong. Canola!

And I'm sure she didn't mean to leave the waxed paper in the skillet!
Oops- i won't be using butter then
Canola oil it is!

Originally Posted by Yosemite

No, no, don't put the waxed paper in the skillet. You just want to use it to "wipe" oil onto the cooking surface before putting in the batter each time. I would also recommend the Canola oil over olive oil or butter. Butter burns easily so no, don't use butter and olive oil is too heavy an oil for pancakes.

CarolPetunia has a good point - take some of the dry batter mix that you have measured out for the pancakes and coat the blueberries with it to prevent the colour from running. It also prevents the berries from sinking to the bottom of the batter. I would also mix the batter up before adding the blueberries. I do that with all my fruit when I make my fruitcakes.
Glad you got back to me on that waxed paper thing
We could have had an accident there lol
Thanks again for all the advice

Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

Bisquik makes pretty good pancake mixes. Just follow the box and then gently stir in some fresh blueberries.

Make sure the pan is nonstick. I also suggest spraying it with nonstick spray.

Don't make the pancakes too big, otherwise they are too thick in the middle, don't cook well and are hard to turn over.

Pour a ladel or 2 of batter into the centre of the pan. Tilt the pan to spread it out a bit. Don't turn the pancake until you see bubbles forming on the top. Turn over and cook until the bottom is golden brown.
If i use a ladle for my measuring of the batter- that should give me the right size pancake right?

Originally Posted by mbrcpr

A tip I heard on a show about IHOP is that you should use cold water to mix the batter. I believe they use water that is no warmer than 50* F. It can take a bit of time to get the hang of it, but pancakes are pretty easy (although a bit messy) once you get used to it. Also, wash your bowl that the batter was in RIGHT AWAY. Dried on pancake batter is a big pain to get off things! Wipe up spills right away! Don't let it dry!
Interesting! I might try that!! / I definitely agree on not wanting a mess in my kitchen- spills always get wiped up asap!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

If i use a ladle for my measuring of the batter- that should give me the right size pancake right?
Experiment with some plain batter first to see how big you want your pancakes. Once you know, then add the blueberries to the batter and you're all set

Usually the first pancake or 2 end up being throw-aways anyway, at least for me they are.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I usually use non stick spray like Pam in my frying pan. I make mine from scratch most of the time as a local grocer sell half pint cartons of buttermilk!!
I also only use maple syrup and I have a tiny little pitcher where I warm in in microwave and add the butter (real butter) into the syrup so I don't o.d. on the butter!!

If you do have pancakes left over I put on counter to cool then put in Ziploc bag. They reheat pretty good when I 1st stick in microwave then the toaster.

fastnoc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You guys are making this too hard.

You take them out of the freezer, open the box, tear open the plastic bag and grab 6 out.

Put them in stacks of two on a plate and nuke for 2 minutes

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by fastnoc

You guys are making this too hard.

You take them out of the freezer, open the box, tear open the plastic bag and grab 6 out.

Put them in stacks of two on a plate and nuke for 2 minutes

You have a point.
That's how my brother would do it as well, but when he has sis around he'd insist on the made-from-scratch ones.

I also make mine from scratch and think they taste better than quick mixes but then I make everything I cook from scratch because I'm anal about preservatives and fillers and all that stuff.

So it's morning and breakfast should be finished by now and I want to know how they turned out.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks to this tread, I woke up this morning thinking I had to make pancakes! I apparently told my husband (in that half awake/half asleep stage) I was, "in fact, going to make blueberry pancakes". He got all excited until I fell back asleep and started snoring again!
I even explained how you coat the blueberries in the mix to keep them from bleeding. You people are getting into my head! (No, I couldn't have the sarahp dream of winning the lottery, I have to have the pancake dream!)

Well, I guess I know what is on the menu for Sunday morning.

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use the Hungry Jack Light-n-Fluffy mix (just add water). Add whatever flavors I want.

Then I make them in a Calphalon nonstick pan. No oil needed.
I don't have a cast iron pan or skillet. Just a giant sized Omelet pan.

Viola! Breakfast is served.
Add butter and syrup to taste.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok you guys i've got the batter mixed up now and the frying pan hot! We'll see what happens

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When you are ready to move to something a bit more unusual, or if anyone here wants it, I have a great recipe for Dutch Babies - a baked pancake that puffs up