orijen food

mer636

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Has anyone heard anything about this type of food? I'm thinking about switching my cats to it and i'm just wondering if there was any news that anyone has heard?

renny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Orijen is a very good food, good quality ingrediants. It's what I feed my two and the transition was easy and I've never had a problem!

Hope your kitties like it!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mer636

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
it sounds really good since it has mostly real meat and herbs in it so i'll have to buy the trial bag so they can try it out

lmunsie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
orijens is an excellent food. My cats are both on it, do amazing on it and love it!

Very healthy

mer636

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
it's gotta be better than the science diet their on which has a lot of grains in it :|

maxcat08

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Mer636

it's gotta be better than the science diet their on which has a lot of grains in it :|
It's like comparing Spam/balogney/hot dogs (Science Diet) to Caviar/prime rib/chateaubriand (Orijen). I bought a bag of Orijen and a bag of Taste of the Wild...just to give the cats some variety. They mainly eat wet food, but the dry is for when I'm away at work.

mer636

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
does orijin have wet food too? and thanks for the comments everyone i'm totally gonna get the food for them even though for like a big bag it's $60 hopefully it will help with digestion better and make them feel better (pepe has stomach issues right now but it's getting better)

maxcat08

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't think Orijen has wet food. Make sure if you are buying a big bag to check the expiry date..you want the freshest bag possible.

Good luck, I hope it helps to settle the stomach issues!

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We also feed Orijen. I found the cats actually eat less of the Orijen than they did the other dry food I was feeding so even though it costs more, they eat less which may end up being the same cost in the long run. If you feed a good quality food the cats don't need to eat as much to get the nutrition they need. I also have noticed less poop and not as smelly as before.

I got one of those large popcorn tins to keep the dry food in after opening it so it stays fresh longer.

blaise

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've been using Orijen for just over a year now with 5 (+ 1 newbie) cats........

One major caution for you...go extremely slowly with your transition (I presume you understand the need for a transition vs a "switch" - if not, post back and you'll be advised). You're obviously aware of the high protein/high fat/no grain/low carb content...cats who have grown up on grains can react poorly to this type of food at first. I started with (literally) just a few pieces of Orijen mixed in with their previous food, and each day, added a few more kibbles...it took two or three weeks to reach the 100% Orijen bowl. (The "newbie" arrived three weeks ago - he was transitioned in the same fashion and is now 90% new food.)

Watch the litterbox - if the stool becomes soft, stop the increments until things return to normal, then resume, perhaps even more slowly.

I've recently added in Wellness Core, and I've had to follow this same procedure - there was some soft stool, so I leveled off for a week and then resumed with tiny increments. Patience needs to be your guide. My goal is to attain a 50/50 ratio - I'm almost there.

Also....when I first received the Orijen, I presented it as I would a "treat" to judge their reactions - everyone turnd up their noses and walked away! So, don't use that method to "taste test" the Orijen.

(When I did the same taste test with samples of Wellness Core, I received the opposite reaction - they literally cried for more. Initially, that worried me, because typically, manufacturers spray kibble with restaurant fryer oils - to increase what they call the "palatability factor". Orijen isn't treated like this, according to the manufacturer - I guess I proved that in my own "taste tests"...and, while I still wonder about the Core, I'm sold on its ingredients.)

mer636

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
yeah I was aware of the gradual change in food but thanks for going into detail about it i'll start with the few peices in there first I think tiger won't have a problem since when he was at the SPCA he was given different food quite a bit but pepe has been on science diet since he was brought to the shelter he was at (since they claim it's the best food ever)

So i'll buy the smaller bag first as well as a science diet small bag and just mix it slowly and ofcourse watch their litterbox for any change

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Folks usually recommend changing dry food slowly - abruptly changing wet food isn't an issue.

It will depend on your cat - if your cat is from a shelter and was used to having food changed around fairly often, then you should have no issues whatsoever.

Our two cats took to the Orijen immediately and I switched them over completely all at once and had no stool or other problems. Like I said, it will all depend very much on the cat. The cat you have on science diet would probably have more problems with a quick change I would guess.

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Riley eats a mix of Orijen, Taste of the Wild, and California Natural and he does great with it
Eventually I will phase out the C.N. so that he's only on the grain free.

zoeysmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My kittens eat Origen and do very well on it. When we initially switched, they seemed to prefer their Wellness, but they eat the Origen fine. They preferred the Walmart junk they were on to Wellness when we made that switch too!

I agree with whoever said they seem to eat less. We seem to go through Origen slower than we went through the Wellness.

Although I don't have anything to compare it to, they have very soft, shiny coats. They each have one bowel movement a day. I consider these both signs that they are tolerating the Origen very well!

mer636

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
god when my two were on science diet they would go 2 or 3 time a day!!! stupid grains.....

i'll try putting it in their food slowly just in case

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by BLAISE

Also....when I first received the Orijen, I presented it as I would a "treat" to judge their reactions - everyone turnd up their noses and walked away! So, don't use that method to "taste test" the Orijen.

(When I did the same taste test with samples of Wellness Core, I received the opposite reaction - they literally cried for more. Initially, that worried me, because typically, manufacturers spray kibble with restaurant fryer oils - to increase what they call the "palatability factor". Orijen isn't treated like this, according to the manufacturer - I guess I proved that in my own "taste tests"...and, while I still wonder about the Core, I'm sold on its ingredients.)
I had the opposite reaction with my too. They both turned their noses up at the Wellness Core sample "treats" I gave them, and snarfed up the Orijen. I'm feeding them Orijen, mixed with California Natural, and they're doing very well on it.

cc12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have heard all good things about it as a dry food. One of my pet stores I frequent has it and they only had good things to say.
Good luck.