Please help; loss of mobility, staggaring, jerking his head

myaku

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat is about two years old and is both an indoor and outdoor cat. [He's almost constantly outside in summer. We keep food and water out constantly for him.] Today I opened the door to see him on the porch, so I let him in. But as he stepped over the threshold he could barely walk! I guess you could say that he was staggering. He didn't seem to be lame on any particular leg. I looked all over for wounds or abnormalities and felt for breaks, but nothing. And as I checked him over and brought him food, I noticed that he almost couldn't keep his head still, he kept slightly moving it in all sorts of directions constantly. Not looking at things, just moving in a really jerky way. And a little newer, I was stroking him and he had this weird spasm of sorts... like he just flipped out and his limbs shot out in different directions like he was jolted, and then he tried to walk over to lay down. I'm really worried... We're trying to figure out if we should take him to the vet immediately [hardly affordable] or what..

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No one can diagnose your kitty over the internet...your cat sounds to be in real distress. Please take him to the vet asap. Ask if expenses over the office call could be put on a payment plan...but do get the cat in. Being indoor/outdoor you have no idea what chemicals your cat may have come into contact with.

Sending vibes that your cat will get better after care,

blaise

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Myaku

...I'm really worried... We're trying to figure out if we should take him to the vet immediately [hardly affordable] or what..
Well, I think there's good reason for you to be worried, from your description of his behaviour. However, it's impossible to determine what might be wrong just from that. And, anyway, with those symptoms, there's nothing you will be able to do to treat him!

So, there's nothing to decide...you may have time on your side if you take him immediately...you may very well have major regrets if you do not.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes he should be seen immediately by an emergency vet. It could be a stroke, poisoning, etc. Time is of the essense. I pray he's ok.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Those symptoms sound similar to antifreeze or other chemical poisoning, please do not wait to see if he gets worse or better, he needs to see a vet immediately. I hope it isn't that, but it's not worth taking any risks. Get him seen straight away, tell them it is an emergency.

tru

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I agree that your poor guy needs to see a vet.

It could be as serious as poisoning or a bad case of vertigo. Both of those things need medical treatment.

My Rocky had a bad case of vertigo last fall and scared me half out of my mind. Here's the link to that thread. http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=141017

I took him in that day and then had to get more meds for him a few days later because he was really having a time of it.

The good news is that he did recover and other than a bit of tilt to his head at times he had almost no long term effects.

I've had some bad cases of vertigo where I had to go to the emergency room so it's only natural to give my fur kids the same consideration when they are in distress.

I hope your little guy gets better real fast.

cyndr03

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Please take to the vet. Hoping your kitty will be feeling better soon.