*****KatKwery! - July 24 - @#&^!

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A few people have mentioned moving the KatKwery time around and that is what I am going to do. I am NOT avoiding Marianjela, although she won for the fifth STRAIGHT time yesterday, using the word hard, which was not hard for her. Luvmycat1 stayed in first place by using news and laureen227 kept pace by using five(5). Not used was 500 or same.

KatKwiz will continue to be posted between 6 am and noon central time. KatKwery will continue to be posted after KatKwiz but will be moved around in time to give others a more fair chance. This in no way means I am trying to avoid Marianjela!

How many books about cats would you say you have ever read? What percentage of those books were NOT about health care (like in today's KatKwiz? Have you ever read any novels where a cat was one of the primary characters? Have you ever heard of the Japanese novel "I am a Cat" which is supposed to be one of the great pieces of literature? And finally (who will admit to this), have you ever read something from a book to one or more of your cats?

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Persi & Alley

A few people have mentioned moving the KatKwery time around and that is what I am going to do. I am NOT avoiding Marianjela, although she won for the fifth STRAIGHT time yesterday, using the word hard, which was not hard for her. Luvmycat1 stayed in first place by using news and laureen227 kept pace by using five(5). Not used was 500 or same.

KatKwiz will continue to be posted between 6 am and noon central time. KatKwery will continue to be posted after KatKwiz but will be moved around in time to give others a more fair chance. This in no way means I am trying to avoid Marianjela!

How many books about cats would you say you have ever read? What percentage of those books were NOT about health care (like in today's KatKwiz? Have you ever read any novels where a cat was one of the primary characters? Have you ever heard of the Japanese novel "I am a Cat" which is supposed to be one of the great pieces of literature? And finally (who will admit to this), have you ever read something from a book to one or more of your cats?
The only book I've ever read about cats was a humorous type book about cat behavior. I can't remember what it's called but it had the word neurotic in the title.
I've read a few novels where a cat is plays a primary role. I haven't heard of the Japanese novel "I am a Cat." Honestly I've never thought about reading to my cat but now that you mention it I might have to start. I absolutely love to read.

cocoa cream

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Okay, so I'm back to actually posting a reply to KatKwery the same day it went up! Woohoo!

I can't really say I've ever actually read a real book about cats. Unless I can count this interesting little pamphlet my mom bought at the grocery store after we got my first cat. I was 13 at the time and totally clueless about cats, which could explain why she turned out to be rather grouchy and neurotic! Anyway, this little pamphlet was called "Talking to Cats" or something like that. It talked all about how cats communicate and what humans communicate to cats without even knowing it. It was interesting, but I don't know how accurate any of it was, or if it helped me "talk" to my cat any better!
I've never even read any novels with a cat as the main character, or at least I don't recall having done so. My mom was really into a murder mystery series in which the cat apparently helped solve the mysteries. Does anybody know who the author was, or what that series was called? I may have to look it up for myself! I have read alot of children's books with cats as main characters, though, since I was a pre-K teacher.
I did not know that this Japanese book even existed, let alone that it is supposed to be a classic. Maybe I'll have to look for that one, too!
No, I have not read to any of my cats, although I can totally see myself doing that! I sometimes make my poor husband listen to children's fairy tales that my mother used to tell me when I was little, though! I bet the cats would be much more willing victims, I mean, listeners!

marianjela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, wow, wow! Thank you very much. I guess I just have the gift for gab. I'm not really keeping track of how many straight times I have won (I dont really have to with Lee around
), really I have just been trying hard to move my way out of 4th place, but everyone is just too good

I cant recall ever reading a book specifically about cats. Although I once read a book called Black Cat, which isnt even about cats,
it's a fictional book about a girl living the life of her dead brother. I've read lots of websites regarding cats and kittens; particularly sites with parturition information, raising orphan kittens, and lots and lots of cattery sites. And certainly a lot of feline magazines. So what percentage of that is not regarding health... I guess none, aside from breeder sites. And really zero considering they werent really books! I've never read a book where the cat was the main character... well I take that back... I have read some children's books to my kids with cats as the protagonist
Oh and I've read books on cat genetics... I guess that counts.

I've read a book where the main characters were rabbits - can you guess which classic that is?
Also, I've never read the Japanese book I am Cat, but obviously I had to go look it up online
It sounds like a satire we should have read in English class at school. Just like the novel I mentioned above about rabbits, Watership Down. Classic literature that can catch and keep the attention of a variety of readers about family life and cultures portrayed in different and intriguing styles. I imagine that is what makes it timeless.

And speaking of great pieces of literature... I find it interesting that after all these years, authors still find new and different things to present to us! Even if it's just a different twist on something old. I am reminded of Shakespeare's Hamlet. Have you ever realized how similar that play is to the children's cartoon, Lion King? I love how that bit of history is subliminally implanted in their minds. Of course the kids dont realize what they're watching, but to the seasoned reader it is obvious... and it goes without saying that I've pointed it out to my older children who are old enough to understand. I think it is clever how the writers disguised the screenplay as a fairytale!

Finally, I've never read a book to my cats (or dog) before... although I do talk to them. I know most of you must have experienced/witnessed the funny look they give you when you talk to them. You know, the hysterical tilt of their head as they pretend to be listening. Either that or they think we're crazy.

I think my cats might have tried to read to me though.
I dont think I can count how many times they've stood on my laptop keyboard watching the screen or attacked and mutilated the pages of the newspaper.

And dont worry Lee, I dont think you're trying to avoid me
but the evening hours are actually more up my alley

glitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

\\

Ive read several books about cat, I remember the first one I ever read, the cat in the hat... Its a very good book you know! Ive read a couple behavior books about cats, those are the ones that I needed, I try to avoid books where they make the cat as a main character, although I loved the movie shrek with "puss and boots" so maybe if that was a book Id enjoy it! No, Ive never even heard of that book before much less read it, I dont have a whole lot of time to donate to the great books out there! Ive read to my cats, when they were tiny especially, they needed to be calmed down and ready in soft steady voice provides that soothing effect! I guess if Im reading really anything if they look over my shoulder interested Im probably going to start reading it to them, My cats are people too! I love to read, so reading to my kids cats and dog isn't a big issue, its fun for all! Most of the time cats are easier to read to then children too!

My favorite books are information style books though! Because those are the ones I actually figure out what I need to know from!

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, I've read LOTS of books with a cat as the main character.

My favorite is probably Catswold Portal, an amazing fantasy book about a race of "people" that can change into cats. They live inside the Earth, sort of like the people in The Silver Chair in the Narnia series. The female protagonist doesn't know she can change, but she manages to escape to the outer world and falls in love with a man who lost his wife in a terrible accident.

Then there are the Lillian Jackson Braun The Cat Who... series. A down and out reporter adopts a Siamese cat who is (of course) very smart, and something always happens where they solve mysteries together.

Another series is the Mrs. Murphy series by Rita Mae Brown. I prefer those to The Cat Who series. Not sure why, but Mrs. Murphy is a tabby cat, and her best friend is a Welsh Corgi. I like the "owner" in this series better, maybe - a youngish divorcee who owns horses, LOL.

The author who wrote the Catswold Portal also wrote a series about a cat called Joe Grey, who discovers that he can speak to humans. Not all cats can, but he and another neighborhood cat can, I think. Of course, there are always mysteries to be solved, LOL.

So, yeah, I've read a few cat books. But I really don't think I've read TO my cats...

belongstoevie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Congrats to all the winners!
But if this isn't rigged, I think you and Marianjela are twins separated at birth!

Hmm... How many books about cats? Does "Cat in the Hat" count??
Otherwise, not many. I've read a few about their health and care, and that's about it. I love to read, but can't recall any *about* cats. Of course, I tend to read quickly and forget just as quickly!

This is humiliating! I MAJORED in Japanese language and culture and don't think I've ever heard of that Japanese novel! When I get off work I'll have to Google it. Maybe I read it in Japanese and the English name just doesn't ring a bell... Though we are doing "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof" now at our theater, and Maggie keeps saying "I am a Cat".

And yes, I have read to my kitties! Not to Evie, but to my fosters. I had read on here that doing something so they can hear you talking, but NOT talking to them, is one of the best ways to get them used to you. So yes, I read to the X-Pack. It worked for the kids, but not at all for mommy!! I read "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" to them.

marianjela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by BelongsToEvie

But if this isn't rigged, I think you and Marianjela are twins separated at birth!
This is too funny, but I dont know what all the hype is
I might have won quite a few Kweries in a row but first place contender, Luvmycat1, still has me beat by EIGHT! And no matter how many times I seem to win, she is too, just maintaining our distance

No matter - the competition is half the appeal!

Marian ~ eagerly awaiting today's KatKwery
and the final SuperBowl!

glitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I wonder if they're identical twins...
You never know, that could be how Lee like "hmmm, I think Ill put up the katkwery" and then she's like "oh I think I should look at the katkwery" I heard twins have a conjoined way of thinking!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

A most amazing thing has happened and you caused it! Marianjela would not have won today had you not said what you did above. Because she came back with her reply and used one of the secret words and I went and studied my own rules and she has now won six times in a row. I will add something about the twins, DW is the one supplying the secret words so I can only conclude that if the two of them were to ever get together, they would just use mental telepathy instead of talking.

belongstoevie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Marianjela

This is too funny, but I dont know what all the hype is
Oh, all the hype is because you are on quite the streak, and it's something fun to joke about!
And exciting!

A most amazing thing has happened and you caused it! Marianjela would not have won today had you not said what you did above. Because she came back with her reply and used one of the secret words and I went and studied my own rules and she has now won six times in a row. I will add something about the twins, DW is the one supplying the secret words so I can only conclude that if the two of them were to ever get together, they would just use mental telepathy instead of talking.
Glad I can help!
And I have to agree with you about that mental telepathy.

PS- I finally Googled "I am a Cat". I hadn't ever heard of it! Leave it to UC Berkeley to not have us read a book from a cat's perspective! Though I may just have to buy the original Japanese version in a month when I'm in Japan! Thanks for bringing it to my attention!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Oh, all the hype is because you are on quite the streak, and it's something fun to joke about!
And exciting!

Glad I can help!
And I have to agree with you about that mental telepathy.

PS- I finally Googled "I am a Cat". I hadn't ever heard of it! Leave it to UC Berkeley to not have us read a book from a cat's perspective! Though I may just have to buy the original Japanese version in a month when I'm in Japan! Thanks for bringing it to my attention!
I was aware of the book because I used to live in Yokohama but spent most of my time on the Ginza. The best Japanese book and movie I have read and seen were Woman in the Dunes. I got a little tired of the Samurai movies. BTW, I brought back a pachinko machine with me.