Cat Litter Craziness!!!

luvmyfurbabys

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Ok so I tried WBCL and IMHO if its the best I'm in trouble. I bought the kind for multi cats , it lasted a week no longer than regular cat litter and the order control didnt even last that long.

What works for multiple cats , that has order control , and is not clay based?

We have 2 large plastic tote boxes that we have made into giant litter boxes we have enough space , we clean them every day ... its just the smell.

kkh

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Regular FP. I don't have much odor problems with that. May not be so strong compared to those clay kinds but I like it, my cat also seems to like it so far

sweetkara

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have two cats and just use whatever clumping litter is on sale.

But everytime I clean the boxes (about 2x a day) I sprinkle a little Arm & Hammer litter box odor control stuff on it.

enuja

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
What happened after a week that made WBCL "not last"? I never had any trouble with clay clumping litter; I switched because of the dust and Artemis' feline asthma. Did you like performance of clay clumping litter and WBCL doesn't stand up, or did you also have a problem with the performance of clay clumping litter?

Personally, I'm using The Breeze litter system (inert pellets over a grid, urine pad below) and I love it. However, you do smell the urine when you take out the pad, and the cats don't always cover the feces all that well. It can also be fairly difficult to transition cats to the Breeze.

meowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We used to use Fresh Step scoopable and loved it, but switched to WBCL because of health reasons. I like and am sticking with WBCL, but nothing will work as great as the dusty silica filled stuff I'm afraid to say. I've tried some other healthy litters, and they were awful (mostly FP).

So, you might just have to adjust to the scent of natural litters. Try sprinking baking soda on the bottom of the litter boxes next time to absorb oders. Do your cats drink alot of water? Mine drink a ton and I swear it dilutes their urine and it really doesn't smell strongly. The poo is another thing, so just scoop the boxes alot.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

luvmyfurbabys

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have used WBCL before and it worked fine .... then the store we got it from stopped carrying it . We just found a new store and decided to go back to it. I have no idea what made it go rank so quick.

Could it be because its summer?

luvmyfurbabys

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Today we bought Feline Pine Clumping Formula and Arm and Hammer High-Performance all natural ( though the name on the bag is different it appears they are in the middle of changing the name )

We will see how that goes.

sakura

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hateeeed feline pine clumping. That stuff tracks everywhere.

Try the regular pine pellet feline pine. Great odor control, zero tracking, and relatively inexpensive.

lorina

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My kittens are fine with the WBCL, but my adults won't use it. I tried switching the box that's the "main box" (why do they always want to use that one?!) to WBCL, and they protested by peeing outside the box twice, then on my bed.

I like the way clumping clay works, but hate the dust, the tracking (it's pretty much ruined my hardwood floors) and the environmental/health issues that go with it.

Next trial will be Swheat Scoop. I won't try it in the main box first, though.

I'm on the fence with FP. I'd probably like it more if I modified my scooper to have larger slots. I like the smell. Reminds me of being in Lowes or Home Depot.

luvmyfurbabys

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Lorina

My kittens are fine with the WBCL, but my adults won't use it. I tried switching the box that's the "main box" (why do they always want to use that one?!) to WBCL, and they protested by peeing outside the box twice, then on my bed.

I like the way clumping clay works, but hate the dust, the tracking (it's pretty much ruined my hardwood floors) and the environmental/health issues that go with it.

Next trial will be Swheat Scoop. I won't try it in the main box first, though.

I'm on the fence with FP. I'd probably like it more if I modified my scooper to have larger slots. I like the smell. Reminds me of being in Lowes or Home Depot.
Swheat scoop is like WBCL but not as good. You can get FP in scoop-able formula it is very fine and doesnt require you to modify anything.

rustypixel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've recently switched to WBCL from Nature's Miracle. I was sold on NM for the first two months the kittens were home, but I realized that the odor control left something to be desired. I also wasn't thrilled with the strength of the clumps. I easily made the switch to WBCL and I'm very happy with the clumps and odor control and it also tracks much less than NM, but to be honest, there is something strange about the "corny" smell of the litter that I just can't get used to. It's not terribly bad, but it's just weird. My next try at a litter will be the A&H that everyone talks about. I hadn't tried it earlier since I was not aware it was corn based.

meowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by rustypixel

I've recently switched to WBCL from Nature's Miracle. I was sold on NM for the first two months the kittens were home, but I realized that the odor control left something to be desired. I also wasn't thrilled with the strength of the clumps. I easily made the switch to WBCL and I'm very happy with the clumps and odor control and it also tracks much less than NM, but to be honest, there is something strange about the "corny" smell of the litter that I just can't get used to. It's not terribly bad, but it's just weird. My next try at a litter will be the A&H that everyone talks about. I hadn't tried it earlier since I was not aware it was corn based.
The corn smell is so weird! Not bad, just strange. When I scoop the box my brain gets all confused.

rustypixel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Exactly my thoughts. There is a definite "air" of confusion with the corn and poo/pee mix. An interesting mixture of odors that definitely confuse the senses a bit! I wish there was a litter that had the same strengths as WBCL (clump strength, less tracking, odor control) but with a better scent.

Originally Posted by Meowers

The corn smell is so weird! Not bad, just strange. When I scoop the box my brain gets all confused.

rustypixel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don't know if anyone might be interested in this, but I think I have come up with a way to lessen the corn/barnyard smell of the WBCL. For the past week I have been trying out a 2:1 mixture of regular strength WBCL and Fresh Step Lavender scent. I purchased two large (not the largest) bags of WBCL and one large box (I think it's 25 lbs) of Fresh Step. Mixed it all together (very thoroughly) in a 12 gallon rubbermaid container. The lavender scent is definitely cut down by the corn scent from WBCL and, on the other end of the scale, the corn smell is cut down by the lavender scent of Fresh Step. I don't want to say that one scent cancels the other because the lavender scent is definitely prevalent. But the bottom line is that after one week, I no longer deal with the very confusing and weird barn yard odor from WBCL alone but I still reap all the benefits of WBCL. By the way, this mixture of two bags WBCL and one box FS was more than enough to give me a 3"-4" deep layer in two litter boxes and it still left me with plenty to replenish the boxes for the 6 weeks before I clean the boxes out and do it all over again.

Good luck!