Finding a perfect State.

foreverfuzzy127

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I live in the city and I love the city But the city is expensive, especially New York City
I am planning to move out of state but where to? I want to move to a state where I dont have to worry about getting mugged on the street corner a block away from my house. I want to move to a state where rules are fair and people are nice or just really close to nice. Just a nice affordable place where its possible for someone who isn't rich to live.

Okay so the point of this is to ask for some help on advice and knowledge of the state you live in. If you love your state don't hog it
because thats mean
But in states there are always "Bad areas" and I would like to avoid those so give me the heads up.

So hows your state?

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Trouts mom

Move to Canada!
I was just going to suggest that too! Though, right now Winnipeg is the "Murder Capital of Canada" thanks to a triple homocide earlier this year. But our murder rates are way down in comparisson to some US cities. And our murders tend to be gang related or domestic, not random.

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My brother made a list of states he was interested in, and then a list of pros and cons and which were definitely out (California, for example, because they don't allow ferrets...) He gave a number value to each "pro" and a negative number to each "con" by how important they were to him, and then added the numbers up to find the states that had the highest numbers... Once he found those he did the same thing with cities in those states.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I really like the city that we live in - Bartlett, TN. I grew up in Memphis (literally just down the road from bartlett) Now i would not recommend Memphis (even though it has a lot of cool things) because of the crime/etc......but Bartlett however is an entirely different story- it's an awesome city!!!

It's got tons of wonderful resturants, a clean, small town feel to it, it's classy, has good people (about 40,000+), and not a lot of crime. There is always something to do here! There's lots of really good schools, churches, and businesses down here too.The best thing about it is that it's so close to Memphis- so you literally just drive a few minutes down the road and you have access to malls, shopping, downtown & Beale Street....anything you could possibly want. It's the best of both worlds!!! The price for housing down here in the south is also considerably less expensive in comparison to the north! You could really get a nice place down here!
It was also rated 95 out of the top 100 places to live by money magazine! Come to Tennessee

Info- http://www.cityofbartlett.org/ http://money.cnn.com/magazines/money...PL4703440.html

k.j.

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Washington is very pleasant. The pacific northwest is great, IMO, i won't disclose my location though.

brandi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I live in south western VA in a small city called Galax! Gas is currently 3.79 a gallon we are 4 and a half hours from Myrtle Beach 3 hours from Gatlinberg TN...5 hours from Williamsberg VA...Lots of nice things to do around me and I can take a walk at midnight and be safe as well as leave my car parked in my driveway with the keys in it and know that nothing will happen to it...most nights my doors are unlocked and I know that its safe!! In all honesty I enjoy living here there are good paying jobs and friendly places to work...if you would like to know more inquire on my monthly mortgage bill or average apartment rent I would be happy to help you!! There are very nice Apartments here the nicest and newest in the area are 410 a month for a 2 bedroom 2 bathroom with a garden tub that has jets...animal deposit is 350-500 depending on how many and size. There are many more that are income based and nice as well!

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One of the statesmen from the early days of Texas is supposed to have said, "If I owned Hell and Texas, I'd rent out Texas and live in Hell."

But in fact, according to this old song, Texas IS Hell:

Oh, the Devil in hell they say he was chained
And there for a thousand years he remained
He neither complained nor did he groan
But decided he'd start up a hell of his own
Where he could torment the souls of men
Without being shut in a prison pen
So he asked the Lord if He had any sand
Left over from making this great big land.

The Lord He said, "Yes, I have plenty on hand
But it's 'way down south on the Rio Grande,
And, to tell you the truth, the stuff is so poor
I doubt it'll do for a hell anymore."
The Devil went down and looked over the truck
And he said if it came as a gift he was stuck
For when he'd examined it closely and well
He decided the place was too dry for a hell.

But the Lord, just to get all the stuff off His hands,
He promised the Devil He'd water the land
For He had some old water that was of no use
A regular bog-hole that stunk like the deuce,
So the grant it was made and the deed it was given
The Lord, He returned to His place up in heaven
The Devil soon saw he had everything needed
To make up a hell, and so he proceeded.

He scattered tarantulas over the roads
Put thorns on the cactus and horns on the toads
He sprinkled the sand with the biting fire ants
So a man that sits down must wear soles on his pants
He lengthened the horns of the Texas steer
And added an inch to the jackrabbit's ear
He put water mocassins in all the lakes
And under the rocks, he put rattlesnakes.

He hung nettles and brambles on all of the trees
He mixed up the dust with chiggers and fleas
The rattlesnake bites you, the scorpion stings
The mosquito delights you by buzzing his wings
The heat in the summer's a hundred and ten
Too hot for the Devil and too hot for men
And all who remained in that climate soon bore
Stings, bites, and scratches and blisters galore.

He planted red pepper beside all the brooks
The Mexicans use them in all that they cook
Just dine with a Mexican and you will shout,
"I've got hell on the inside as well as the out!"
He quickened the buck of the bronco steed
And poisoned the feet of the centipede
The wild boar rampages in high chaparral
It's a hell of a place that we've got for a hell!

weldrwomn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In the past, I would have suggested Oregon, but it is getting so crowded lately that, unless you like living in the high desert country (Eastern Oregon), I wouldn't live there. Washington is nice, but my current favorite is Alaska. Not Northern AK (I have never been there) but either Haines or Skagway. Both are small towns that you can drive out of and they are smack dab in the most beautiful country a person could imagine.

I also second those who said "move to Canada" I would go for Northern BC (Atlin has a great music festival) or maybe the Yukon.

forensic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Minnesota is nice in the suburbs/rural areas, but really we're all full up. Sorry.

Nebraska... well... it's nebraska... Omaha has some nice areas... Lincoln's okay if you avoid downtown.

tari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The Chicago area's nice. Like any big metropolitan area, there are of course dangerous areas. But many areas of the city and suburbs are quite safe, most Chicagoans are very friendly, and even in the suburbs you're close enough to the city to catch a train downtown for a play or a great dinner.

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I loved Kansas City, MO. I lived there for 2 years, and went kicking and screaming back to Georgia. It is a beautiful city with smaller areas and neighborhoods right in the city. The crime rate was pretty high, but confined to one or two areas.
We are planning to move to Austin, Texas in the Spring, so I hope it is not as bad as the song lyrics quoted above. The job market is wide open, and cost of living is comparable with salaries. I looked on some realtor's websites and there are a lot of rent to own properties in the suburbs.

glitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love the state Im in, the crime is maining possession of something smokable, and your kids are safe to play in the front yard! Its perfect for me, and Ive lived in minnesota and nebraska and even wisconsin for a while, colorado was beautiful, but people weren't so nice, oregon is all drug based *IMO*, and I guess Im just a South Dakotan! Where I live if I want to go to the cities I can drive 4 hours and be fine, I hate minnesota's speeding limits though! Crazy! You got from 70 to 55mph and it sucks! But if I want to go to the malls there for something special its not that far away! So Watertown South Dakota is where Ill say, with the crazy roads you can get lost on!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

foreverfuzzy127

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Brandi

I live in south western VA in a small city called Galax! Gas is currently 3.79 a gallon we are 4 and a half hours from Myrtle Beach 3 hours from Gatlinberg TN...5 hours from Williamsberg VA...Lots of nice things to do around me and I can take a walk at midnight and be safe as well as leave my car parked in my driveway with the keys in it and know that nothing will happen to it...most nights my doors are unlocked and I know that its safe!! In all honesty I enjoy living here there are good paying jobs and friendly places to work...if you would like to know more inquire on my monthly mortgage bill or average apartment rent I would be happy to help you!! There are very nice Apartments here the nicest and newest in the area are 410 a month for a 2 bedroom 2 bathroom with a garden tub that has jets...animal deposit is 350-500 depending on how many and size. There are many more that are income based and nice as well!
you make it sound nice I am so checking it out. Know a good site where I can see how much the rent goes and the quality of the homes? sorta like rentals.com only problem with rentals.com is I think its like listed in countys or something and I am not sure what Galax is under. Its such a small town I can't find it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

foreverfuzzy127

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by glitch

I love the state Im in, the crime is maining possession of something smokable, and your kids are safe to play in the front yard! Its perfect for me, and Ive lived in minnesota and nebraska and even wisconsin for a while, colorado was beautiful, but people weren't so nice, oregon is all drug based *IMO*, and I guess Im just a South Dakotan! Where I live if I want to go to the cities I can drive 4 hours and be fine, I hate minnesota's speeding limits though! Crazy! You got from 70 to 55mph and it sucks! But if I want to go to the malls there for something special its not that far away! So Watertown South Dakota is where Ill say, with the crazy roads you can get lost on!
How are the jobs out there?

yam102284

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I absolutely love where I live. I'm about 20 minutes from all the stores and shops in Concord. I live on the outskirts of the city, and it's nice and peaceful. There's rarely any problems where I live. I just like the fact that I'm real close to the city, but has the quietness of a little town.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

One of the statesmen from the early days of Texas is supposed to have said, "If I owned Hell and Texas, I'd rent out Texas and live in Hell."
Well, actually it was General Sherman (yes, THAT General Sherman).

I like Texas a lot, and I'm from Colorado. If I were going to suggest a city to someone, it would be something like Austin, or possibly Nassau (yes, there's one of those in TX, too). I personally really like Galveston, but there's not much in the way of work, there.

I have been to Portland, OR, a lot of times, but I've never been impressed. I DO like Seattle quite a bit, but I doubt I'd ever move there.

If I could figure out how to make a living there, I'd already be in Hawaii.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I grew up in Cumberland Maryland, and it is a great place. It's a smaller town (pop around 26,000) but only 2 1/2 hours from Washington DC, 3 hours from Baltimore and 2 hours from Pittsburg so it's close enough to civilization for get aways, but far enough away for a small town attitude. The only drawback is the job market isn't great, but many people here commute to Hagerstown or Frederick (1-2 hours away) and car pools are common. Rent is pretty low, and most people here are pet friendly. Even cheaper is over the river in West Virginia (where I live now). We're a 10 minute drive to Cumberland and it is gorgeous out here!

Here's a link to Cumberland's city council home page:
http://www.ci.cumberland.md.us/