bad breath solutions?

hunnysuckle

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all,

My cat is having some stinky breath... is there anything out there to help with that? I have some dental treats for her teeth but haven't seen anything for breath.

Thanks

robertm

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Brushing her teeth would help out a lot but this is not exactly the easiest thing in the world for many people, especially if the cat is not accustomed to the procedure.

Is the bad breath something that has become more evident recently, or has it been like that for quite some time? If it's the former, I would be concerned that there might be some issues with your cat's teeth and/or gums. Hopefully that isn't the case, but sudden unexplained bad breath would make me a little nervous. The latter isn't great either, but some cats (like people) seem to just be more prone to it than others are.

kat89447

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You should definately have the vet check her mouth first. If that comes out okay you might try parsley. I had a cat that had stinky breath and gas lol my vet suggested I get a parsley plant and voila no more stinkies. Cats love to eat plants and parsley has a deoderizing quality. Of course, its heck trying to keep the cats from eating my other plants. lol

breakyourface

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kat89447

You should definately have the vet check her mouth first. If that comes out okay you might try parsley. I had a cat that had stinky breath and gas lol my vet suggested I get a parsley plant and voila no more stinkies. Cats love to eat plants and parsley has a deoderizing quality. Of course, its heck trying to keep the cats from eating my other plants. lol
She could've just eaten some kind of animal out side, raw meat tends to make breath stinky. But you should have a vet check it out just in case.

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Many times bad breath in a cat won't be under control unless you have the cats teeth cleaned. I tried and tried with Peaches but her bad breath didn't go away until I had her teeth cleaned last January. I'm so glad I had it done. And she seems happier. I think the plaque on her teeth was causing some discomfort. Especially when she ate.

kkh

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I brush my cat's teeth everyday. So far, my vet told me that my baby does not have a bad-breath, also her gum is healthy. But I occasionally feel her breath is fishy...is it only me?

sweetkara

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I use Dr Foster Smith's dental wipes. They are like little pads you put around your finger and they help with bad breath.

You just swipe your finger over their teeth. I use one hand to expose my cat's teeth and a finger on the other hand to swipe over her teeth.

When I took in my cat as a stray she had red gums even though she is young- probably from eating god knows what outside for a month.

I used the wipes and now her gums are fine.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...96&pcatid=2996