anyone here have their tongue pierced?

brandi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I got mine done two weeks ago...the swelling is down but I still have minor infection nothing bad..Im on antibiotics for it and its going away...Tonight the ball came off I took the ring out to keep from swallowing it..and then had to push it back through it didnt hurt but it bled a bit...So my question is to those of you that have this done how long did it take for yours to heal? How long did you wait before changing it?

pipersjo

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Your tongue never truly heals. I had mine pierced for 4 or 5 years and it healed within a day whenever I took it out. Because it is pierced through muscle, the muscle is always trying to heal itself.

That being said, mine felt better after a couple of weeks.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I gargled salt water 8-10 times a day at first and it 'healed' quickly.

I waited 6 weeks before changing it I think, and would take it out to give it a good clean at least once a week but put it right back in.

I took it out for good about 5 years ago, but I think it pretty much closed over within a few days.

tab

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i had mine done for the first time about 9 years ago and then re-pierced last April.

the first time i had to go back after 3 weeks to get a smaller bar fitted. this time it wasn't necessary as a re-piercing doesn't swell up as much.

i was told not to remove it during those 3 weeks so it is unfortunate that yours came loose. i would give it another couple of weeks before changing it or even seek advice from the piercer.

i haven't changed mine at all as i worry that i won't get it back through! i do know quite a few people who regularly change theirs with no problems.

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That happens to me a lot. I have a 10g, and I can take it out and leave it for weeks since I have had it so long. If the 10g won't fit right away, I just put the 14g back in for a day. Yours should not be sore for long, but the salt rinses are a very good for it, as someone already mentioned. it is also a good idea to check your beads to make sure they are tight . Before you clean your mouth is the best time. Be sure you wash your hands before you ever touch it. 4-6 weeks is a good length of time to leave it before changing it, especially if you have had some trouble with it.

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The swelling in mine went down after 2 days. I waited 3 weeks before changing the bar, It's been fine ever since then, and I've had it for just under 3 years. I dont ever really take it out for a long period of time, but if the ball falls off or whatever, I've gone a couple hours before putting it back in and it's been fine.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Forgive me for being naive... but I've always been curious about the why on this kind of piercing. What's the attraction of having this done?

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

Forgive me for being naive... but I've always been curious about the why on this kind of piercing. What's the attraction of having this done?
I would like to know too

I know alot of people who have it done and I can only imagine the pain

I've bit my tongue pretty hard at times and that was enough pain for me to figure out I don't need it pierced

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nope - nothing on me is pierced! I'm kinda creeped out with piercings other then the small ears. We have a friend who's grandchild is into tattoos and piercings - he's a good kid, but its sooo creepy to be around him. He "expanded" his ears to have a huge hole in it.

I asked him one time if there was any part of his body not done, and he said "one or two spots"....don't want to know where its NOT done!

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Nowadays it is done purely for cosmetic reasons, though when it first started gaining popularity it was primarily done to enhance certain (keeping PG-13 here) adult experiences.

I had mine done almost 20 years ago.
It was fully healed (and yes, when done 100% properly it DOES heal completely) in 4 weeks, but at 2 weeks the piercing bar should be removed and a smaller, normal sized bar put in.

februa

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Ive had mine done for 10 years (this month! happy "anniversary" to me??? hrm)
I had the swelling completely down in 24 hours due to KFC ice chips (which at the time were PERFECT as they had a little recession that would allow the cube to sit on top of piercing without actually touching it), and fully healed in about 3 weeks. I actually wanted a "thicker" bar then the one I was pierced with so I "stretched" mine to a 10Ga, this was not too painful, and didnt take more than a week to re-heal. I can take my bar out for days on end, and there is 0 resistance when I try to put it back in. This is great as when Im at conferences etc., people dont need to see my piercings!
Another reason people pierce their tongues is because compared with other piercings, it is probably the LEAST painful. Biting my tongue hurt/hurts WAY more than my piercing actually did. To me it was more discomfort and less actual pain in any case. Also, with very low maintanence, and quick healing time, it is perhaps the mildest piercing for "beginners". My biggest reason at the time was that I really wanted another piercing without having a visible one on my face. That left tongue, nipples, belly, genitals, and at age 16 with no love of the belly button rings...the choice was easy!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't have mine pierced. I watched my brother in law accidently rip his out of his tounge one time during dinner quite a few yrs ago. That turned me off to tounge rings forever since then- no way i'd get one done!

If you're having questions about your piercing though- it's always best to talk to a lisenced piercer (preferably the one who did yours) you may try a salt rinse of some sort- i believe they have a mout wash specifically for those piercings too that might help. You may want to take tylenol for the swelling. Good luck!

foreverfuzzy127

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I had mine pierced and took it out about a month ago because you can't find a job with those things and alot of schools are picky about them. My tongue was swollen it hurt alot but I ate alot of ice cream, jello, icies, cold stuff in general to keep the swelling down and numb the pain a bit. You always want to rinse your mouth with listerine <-- I dont know if I spelled that right. You want to do it after every meal (but dont over use the listerine or even salt water because you can kill the good stuff that your tongue uses to heal itself, I don't know what its called I guess you can call it the good bacteria) I didn't use the salt water thing I just use listerine and had no problems with infections or anything. If you do get an infection or having problems with it you can use Glyoxide which is godly. fixes up the problem quick.

you can change it in 3 to 4 weeks and to say that it heals I dont really think it does because I had mine for a really long time and when I removed it It healed quick. Some people have thicker bars and when you remove them it takes your tongue a really long time to heal itself. But I don't know it really depends on "you" because everyone is different.

hope that helps ^^.

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by pipersjo

Your tongue never truly heals. I had mine pierced for 4 or 5 years and it healed within a day whenever I took it out. Because it is pierced through muscle, the muscle is always trying to heal itself.

That being said, mine felt better after a couple of weeks.
Wow! I never knew it didn't ever heal! Very interesting!

I don't think we can say on here
Just kidding....kinda

I can't believe all the people with their tounges pierced on here! I never would have guessed! I've thought about it, but my mom said she would kill me. Not because of the piercing, but because she spent thousands of dollars on my teeth!!!

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It can definitely damage your teeth, especially if you play with them a lot. Metal beads are best, but are hard on the teeth, plastic ones are better for your teeth, but are porous and can harbor bacteria. Some people live with them as naturally as without them, but many people play with them, and that is what is hard on the teeth.

glitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The tongue is pretty much the only peircing I wont do... I havn't seen a person yet that doesn't play with it, and its kind of funny after you watch them for a while, their to go from great, to good, to okay, to just nasty, and my x just got dentures! (at the ripe age of 25) which was from the enamal being scraped away slowly, then the other stuff until the teeth finally just were too holey to keep! He use to be so cute too... Keep in mind I do believe in a good peircing though... I have tons!

wishiwas

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My sister had to take hers out because it was causing her gums to recede. The dentist told her that area of her gums was like a 70 year old's and she needed to take it out ASAP. I think he exaggerated, but it was obviously bad. She also got a little infection when she first got it from overusing the mouthwash. After that, they told her to use a non-alcohol mouthwash and dilute it 50/50 with water.

Personally, the idea of getting my tongue pierced makes me shudder. Nooo thanks! The most adventurous I ever got was getting my eyebrow done. It rejected the first time, and again with a second try, so I gave up on the idea.

pipersjo

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by glitch

The tongue is pretty much the only peircing I wont do... I havn't seen a person yet that doesn't play with it, and its kind of funny after you watch them for a while, their to go from great, to good, to okay, to just nasty, and my x just got dentures! (at the ripe age of 25) which was from the enamal being scraped away slowly, then the other stuff until the teeth finally just were too holey to keep! He use to be so cute too... Keep in mind I do believe in a good peircing though... I have tons!
I may be the only person that didn't play with it! The only time that I did was if I was intentionally drawing attention to it and there were only certain times that I did that. I didn't have a lisp or anykind of voice changes- as a matter of fact, the only people that knew I had it were the ones that I told or showed it too! My patients didn't even usually know I had it. My boss made me take it out, but i think the only reason that she even knew about it was because someone was snitching.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I didn't have a lisp or anykind of voice changes- as a matter of fact, the only people that knew I had it were the ones that I told or showed it too!
No one knew about mine either unless I told them, most were shocked as I guess I don't seem the type to have piercings
I was suprised when I got it done that it didn't hurt at all, belly button hurt a bit but not really.
Then I reached my early 20's and took them out.

tab

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I didn't have a lisp or anykind of voice changes- as a matter of fact, the only people that knew I had it were the ones that I told or showed it too!
Originally Posted by missymotus

No one knew about mine either unless I told them, most were shocked as I guess I don't seem the type to have piercings
no one in my office knows about mine either. however the students i work with noticed it almost straight away!

plus i don't play with mine either. i did the first time round, but having heard a few nasty stories about tooth problems i made a concerted effort not to play with it when i first had it re-pierced. i just forget it's there really.