Poopy butt strikes again!

meowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Diahrea...again! Kitty off and on gets it for no apparent reason. Because she has 'Manx syndrome' (a neurological problem with her rear end that causes her to not feel her rear of control it 100%) it is really a problem and I just don't know what to do! It doesn't last more than an hour or so, so I'm not too worried about her, just my poor carpet.

The vet had mentioned some time ago (before she ever had it) that I might need to bring her in for meds to stop it in a really bad case. But she didn't say what meds that would be, and is there something I can give her at home? I'm going to stop by the vet tomorrow hopefully and ask. Kitty's vet bills are just too numerous to rush her there ever time it happens.

Any help would make my life (and her's) a little easier

maxcat08

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I can't offer any help except to say that it must be frustrating...any chance of getting rid of the carpet? A drastic solution, I know.

She is a sweet looking cat. My Max had a Mother who was a Manx....but his Dad wasn't...and Max had a short tail...but not that problem that Kitty has.

I've read about cat diapers...maybe that would help at these distressing times.

Good luck.

shanynne

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't have much help to offer either.

What about her food, could that be having an impact? (Probably a silly question to ask, but you never know)

For your carpet though, Nature's Miracle works *really* well. Trust me, it *will* remove those poop stains. My cat Samson had some soft stools the other day and he "scooched" himself on the carpet in an effort to clean himself (I was asleep at the time) and he left me several lovely trails of nasty poop, and a lot of it too. The NM's took complete care of it. All the stains are gone.

All you have to do is shake bottle well, apply generously, work it in vigorously with your fingers (I always wear rubber gloves) and that's it you are done. No need to do anything else. The only thing I do is with a paper towel, I absorb the excess foam of the NM's as it changes color so it does not soak back in the carpet. Occasionally I have to reapply a second time, but very rarely.

Hugs to you and your sweet kitty

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

meowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bissel makes a great machine called "Little Green" that has really saved mt floors, it's a tiny, mini steam cleaner that works sooo good. I will try some Natures Miracle next time maybe.

Kitty is totally tailess, but i don't think she'll wear a diaper
Next time I will try that and see what happens. She is such a sweetie pie, but the claws may come out with the diapers.

Our carpets are also brand new. That makes it all the worse with every new stain... we got her right after the new carpets, wish we had gotten hardwood floors.

tru

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Meowers

Bissel makes a great machine called "Little Green" that has really saved mt floors, it's a tiny, mini steam cleaner that works sooo good. I will try some Natures Miracle next time maybe.

Kitty is totally tailess, but i don't think she'll wear a diaper
Next time I will try that and see what happens. She is such a sweetie pie, but the claws may come out with the diapers.

Our carpets are also brand new. That makes it all the worse with every new stain... we got her right after the new carpets, wish we had gotten hardwood floors.
I just have to say that your Kitty could be a twin to my Boo who is also a Manx. The following pic is when she was about 4 months old.

I also have one of those Bissel SpotBots and it does do am amazing job. Too bad my Hoover shampooer doesn't clean as good.

Are you feeding Kitty wet/soft food at all? I had to keep Boo on dry for quite some time because of the diarrhea. Now she can eat the soft food with no problems and just has dry food occasionally. Her big problem was with leaking urine, but has gotten much better since her surgery to remove a Struvite stone. (Finally!)

It might be worth a shot to try the diapers with Kitty. I've read about many people that have had to use them with success on their cats and dogs that there may be just a small adjustment time.

I wish you much good luck with getting this issue resolved.

meowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by tru

I just have to say that your Kitty could be a twin to my Boo who is also a Manx. The following pic is when she was about 4 months old.

I also have one of those Bissel SpotBots and it does do am amazing job. Too bad my Hoover shampooer doesn't clean as good.

Are you feeding Kitty wet/soft food at all? I had to keep Boo on dry for quite some time because of the diarrhea. Now she can eat the soft food with no problems and just has dry food occasionally. Her big problem was with leaking urine, but has gotten much better since her surgery to remove a Struvite stone. (Finally!)

It might be worth a shot to try the diapers with Kitty. I've read about many people that have had to use them with success on their cats and dogs that there may be just a small adjustment time.

I wish you much good luck with getting this issue resolved.
Your cat is so cute
There is something about the Manx breed I just love so much. Maybe next time we'll get ones without the problems.

Kitty does get a small serving of wet food in the mornings, and has for several months now. The only kind that agrees with her is SD chicken, and of course I found out the hard way about that. Maybe shes getting stressed more now that I got Holly? It's only been almost two months, so we'll see.

chrissy114

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,

I have an 8 year old Manx and she never had poop problems until the last 2 years which can happen as they get older but since yours has such a short tail that may be why she's experiencing this now.

I've been getting this special canned formula from my vet (MediCal's Hypoallergenic/Gastro canned food) which has top of the line food (duck & rice) and basically it's so good that her body absorbs most of the nutrients so she has very small & firmer poops. The other thing to watch out for is constipation which my little girl has had.. it can lead to some very serious issues so as soon as you notice her trying to go outside of the litter box or she smells really bad then take her in to the vet immediately.

I hope that helps!

learhart

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by MAXCAT08

I can't offer any help except to say that it must be frustrating...any chance of getting rid of the carpet? A drastic solution, I know.

She is a sweet looking cat. My Max had a Mother who was a Manx....but his Dad wasn't...and Max had a short tail...but not that problem that Kitty has.

I've read about cat diapers...maybe that would help at these distressing times.

Good luck.
I have two manx kittens that I am fostering that both are incontinent. Jill always has diahrrea and Jack goes back and forth with it. I have been doing a lot of reading and I think that it all depends on the individual cat as what will work. Some people say to feed canned food, others say only dry. I am also looking into a raw diet. Both of my foster kittens wear diapers. I use regular baby diapers since they don't have tails. They also wear onsies to keep the diapers on. I do have to modify them a little to they can't get them off. I am also looking into acupunture to see if that will help at all but first I have to raise the money to get to that point.
Good Luck

tru

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Just thought I'd post a little update of hope, (maybe?).

I never did get any diapers for Boo. It took a while since her surgery for the Struvite stone, but she hasn't been wetting the bed lately.

When she first came home with me from the pound at about 10 weeks and already having a prolapsed anus, I was beginning to wonder if we would ever be able to relax a bit with her problems. Today all her functions are nearly as normal as the rest of my kits.

I'm not saying it will stay that way forever, but it sure is nice for the moment.
So don't give up on your little Manx darlings
. Sometimes those problems that seem like they will continue forever may just change for the better.

cgeiser

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
my kitten is a manx as well and has some of the same problems. She can't use a litter box at all. She also gets diarrhea whenever we change her food in the slightest. She is on an all dry diet. i know its not the best but its the only thing that controls the diarrhea.

Also if anyone had any tips for getting their cats to wear diapers and stay in them, that would be great!

meowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Several weeks ago I switched both my cats to EVO all life stage food dry, since I have the kitten and and an adult. Kitty didn't have a problem until a week after the total switch, but now I think she is going to be fine. They also get about 3oz of wet Science Diet in the morning to share (it's the only wet food that doesn't send Kitty's tummy into a fit) with two squirts of L-lysine mixed in.

Maybe the EVO is too rich for her? That's what I need them to eat so I hope she does ok on it until Holly is an adult and I can switch them to Nutro naturals or Royal canine.

I like the idea of a onesie holding on the diaper
Do you have any pics of that? I know it sucks for the cats, but you have to find the humor in all of this to get through the bad stages, you know?

learhart

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Jack and Jill are my foster kittens and if I can figure out how to attach their pictures I will. Everyone gives me grief about dressing them up until they realize they are incontinent. I hope to have enough money by the end of the week to take them to a holistic vet.

tru

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Jack & Jill are simply too adorable!

The idea you had about using the onesies is brilliant. If I ever have to diaper Boo, you can be I will think of you and your successful idea.

I hope they outgrow their problems in time. Hugs and kisses to those sweet little babies.

meowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's too bad your babies are wearing those cute onesies for such an awful problem, because they look so sweet
I just want to hold them and make everything ok.

lionesssoldier

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I also have a kitty who's a manx with poopy issues. The only problem I'm having right now is that her poor little butt is getting a bit raw from the sock diaper/pad set up I have on her. The socks work great, don't get me wrong. I'm just trying to find a safe solution to protect her butt a little better from rubbing. She really is a sweetie, I've attached a picture of my little Jade below:

emilymaywilcha

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I always wondered why breeders can't mate two rumpies. Somewhere I read they get spina bifida, which in humans makes unassisted walking impossible, but nothing about incontinence and diarrhea. How can diarrhea be a problem if it is not limited to the rectum, but throughout the entire colon? And why is it always diarrhea instead of constipation? I find it interesting that they don't all just have incontinence - the only symptom that is exclusively in the butt.