HELP! My cat is rubbing its butt on my carpet

buzbyjlc10

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
State College, PA and Haddon Township, NJ
Your kitty needs to be checked for worms - that's the most common cause for "scooting"... they are often hard to see with the naked eye, so bring a stool sample to the vet... but if you do happen to see little white, grain of rice sized things near where your kitty lays or near his bum, it's definitely worms

If it is worms, it's an easy fix - couple of doses of medicine

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Worms or possibly impacted scent sacs...
whatever the cause, your kitty needs to be checked by a vet asap, to define the cause and prescribe treatment.

Let us know what you find out please.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

johnts71

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
the kitten is a cat...7 years old. Sorry for not saying that.

how does an indoor cat get worms anyways if thats the case?

maherwoman

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If your kitty has ever had a flea problem, the kitty could've gotten worms from that. They seem to go hand-in-hand, somehow.

If you've not had a recent flea problem, it could simply be that your kitty needs his anal glands expressed. Kitties usually do this while going to the bathroom, but sometimes don't, and they get a bit impacted, and butt-scooting is their way of trying to handle it (I'm thinking it itches, or something along those lines).

Another thought...is your kitty overweight and cannot reach his bum to clean it? If he's overweight, it might be the problem, and he's trying to handle that by scooting.

Another thought, is that he could be being lazy about cleaning his bum. Sometimes our Hobbes does this. He's really well trained and stops and cleans his bum when we tell him to, so it handles that way...but he does occassionally try the scooting-instead-of-cleaning trick...the stinker!

All that aside, a vet visit is definitely in order. Just to be safe, rather than sorry...

Hope everything goes well!

buzbyjlc10

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
State College, PA and Haddon Township, NJ
Oliver is indoor only (well now he goes out on a leash, but this was when he was strictly indoors) and got worms... it's often caused by ingesting a flea - doesn't mean your cat has them (Oliver didn't and was/is on flea meds) but they can occasionally make their way indoors and be accidentally eaten

Oliver still occasionally scoots out of laziness... my dad gets a huge kick out of it
it is funny lookin as all get out though... I just tell him that God gave him the ability to throw his leg over his head for a reason and he'd better utilize it!

I still agree that a vet visit is in order.

sport

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by BuzbyJLC10

I just tell him that God gave him the ability to throw his leg over his head for a reason and he'd better utilize it!

I still agree that a vet visit is in order.
Thanks for the morning laugh. I was just scanning thr threads, and when I got to your's..well...I spat my coffee across the livingroom and my little Sport bloted into the kitchen. I have not laughed that hard in a long time
Peace, Love and Tie Dye
Rob and Sport

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

johnts71

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
well it was the anal gland sacs. They popped them

they said she needs to go on a diet..she cant clean herself around there now

all is well now

kristykitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So glad to hear you know the solution and your kitty is okay!

I love reading threads where the person updates and everything is well.

fulpmes

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by JohnTS71

well it was the anal gland sacs. They popped them

they said she needs to go on a diet..she cant clean herself around there now

all is well now
Glad your baby is better. And now for a question -- and not to be too gross or graphic, but how bad/difficult/painful was this popping thing?

I've got one who is an occasional scooter -- my strong suspicion is that she is just lazy & overweight & it is a quick, easy clean (wish I could teach her about TP -- I'd be happy to leave her some squares on the floor to overcome the opposable thumb problem!). I talked to my vet and she said since the scooting is only occasional, that it probably isn't the sacs, but to keep an eye out and either way, she'd check them when we go in for our next wellness exam if things remain as they are. (I also give them a feel every so often (ICK!), but I'm not sure I'm doing it right, so I lack confidence in my conclusions. Anyway, I haven't had her in for the check yet, but am bracing for the possibility of the anal sac problem and am just wondering what we could be in for in they need to be drained... I'd rather head in with eyes open if things worsen and that end up being the problem.

Thanks!

seaturtle

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
One of my females, Icebox, has the anal gland problem. They fill up, she scoots and licks her anus a lot and is uncomfortable. EVery six months or so, I have to take her to the vet to get them expressed (yes, stink!), but after that, she feels ever so much better. But her scooting and licking will be very frequent when they're filled up.