I think We May Have To Get Cassidy's Tail Amputated

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We tried to give Cassidy a bath last night b/c she had pooh stuck to her deformed tail. She did not like it one bit!
She struggled like crazy to get away, and started screeching her head off. Salem (the Mama cat) heard her screeching, and came to her 'rescue'. I always knew she was a good Mama, but I didn't realize just how much! I guess she thought we were hurting Cassidy, and started to bat at us and bite us. Needless to say, we had to give up on that idea..

I think we're gonna have to have her tail amputated, b/c she keeps getting pooh stuck on it.
I talked to the vet about it when I called him to find out about Winchester's test results from last week. Unfortunately, the new vet doesn't accept payments in installments like the old vet did, so that leaves us in a bind. It'll probably cost $100.00 - $200.00 to have it done, and we just don't have that kind of money right now. I guess I'm gonna have to brainstorm to come up with something..
It bums me out..

~KK~

glitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My moms cat "Duh" (yes thats really her name) had a mangled tail that turned into gangreen, now she has a stump from where it use to be because we had it amputated, it was around a hundred bucks! Then my Best friends ex-husband went over to her house a month or so ago and slammed Smokey in the door, the tail was obviously broken, and Jill was at a loss at what to do because she couldn't afford to take it to the vet, low and behold the cats tail fell off (which grossed her out to know end) Maybe a garage sale or something like that to make some extra cash.... Or seperate the momma while you clean her off!

shanynne

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by glitch

My moms cat "Duh" (yes thats really her name) had a mangled tail that turned into gangreen, now she has a stump from where it use to be because we had it amputated, it was around a hundred bucks! Then my Best friends ex-husband went over to her house a month or so ago and slammed Smokey in the door, the tail was obviously broken, and Jill was at a loss at what to do because she couldn't afford to take it to the vet, low and behold the cats tail fell off (which grossed her out to know end) Maybe a garage sale or something like that to make some extra cash.... Or seperate the momma while you clean her off!
Oh that's awful, poor cat!

shashagirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Shasha had the tip of her tail amputated last year. My 10 year old slammed the door on it! It was a grusome sight because blood splatter was all over my hallway. I was busy in the kitchen when the whole thing happen and my younger son brought the fur with the skin attached and asked if it was normal for cats tail's to come off. I found the poor girl crying under the couch with the bone visible. We took her to ER and had the tip amputated the next morning. The vet said if we didn't do it asap she would develop nerve problems with the bone exposed. The whole thing cost 400 dollars. We charged it on Care Credit. CC lets you make payments with no interest.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by cloud_shade

How badly deformed is it?
It's pretty bad.
It doesn't move like a normal cat's tail does, and it's kinda "flat". It also has a shape which I call a "corkscrew". Cassidy was born breech, and I think her tail got messed up while being delivered. It doesn't surprise me any that she doesn't have much of a tail b/c Salem (the mama cat) has that 'stubby' tail too: it's a hereditary thing (all the black babies that Salem had before we adopted her had that stubby tail, too). Jinxy has that stubby tail too, but hers isn't all messed up like Cassidy's is. Ricochet & Chiquita have perfectly formed tails..

~KK~

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here's a pic of the kittens. Jinx is the first black kitten, and Cassidy is the second one. You can see that Jinx has a little stub of a tail, and Cassidy's is kinda "stuck" downward...

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Shashagirl

Shasha had the tip of her tail amputated last year. My 10 year old slammed the door on it! It was a grusome sight because blood splatter was all over my hallway. I was busy in the kitchen when the whole thing happen and my younger son brought the fur with the skin attached and asked if it was normal for cats tail's to come off. I found the poor girl crying under the couch with the bone visible. We took her to ER and had the tip amputated the next morning. The vet said if we didn't do it asap she would develop nerve problems with the bone exposed. The whole thing cost 400 dollars. We charged it on Care Credit. CC lets you make payments with no interest.
OMG that is just so sad!
Poor baby!

~KK~

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by glitch

Or seperate the momma while you clean her off!
That's a good idea, Glitch.
The thought popped into my mind, too, after I posted the thread. I don't know why I didn't think of it in the first place.
I guess I didn't think that Salem would have a hissy fit over the incident like she did. But I should have known, I reckon. She's always been really protective of her babies!

~KK~