Found Kitten - Hurt

ccswicegood

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi,

I found a kitten in my yard today. He looks about 5 weeks old, possibly younger. My other cat, who is seven years old, brought him to us.

His eyes were covored in a slimy film that we cleaned off with q-tips and water. He also had the film over his nose, but we cleaned it off, too. We are using a dropper to get him to drink water, and feeding him very small amounts of wet kitten food.

Although we're not exactly sure, his two front legs seem to be broken. We think he could have been hit by a car. He cannot stand for long without falling, and his eyes don't seem to move when we move our fingers in front of his face. Although there seems to be some dialation.

We cannot afford a vet's bill right now; I know it's bad to say, but we cannot. We are trying everything we can do to try to get him to better health, but we were up for any and all suggestion. Could we wrap his legs? Is there anything we could give him, like benadryl or other human medication? He seems congested.

Thanks so much.

mom of 4

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know you said that you can't afford a vet, but the poor baby needs a vet. Check with feral groups in your area. Look for any cat rescue groups.
Your vet may give you a tremendous discount or work out a payment plan for you.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Mom of 4

I know you said that you can't afford a vet, but the poor baby needs a vet. Check with feral groups in your area. Look for any cat rescue groups.
Your vet may give you a tremendous discount or work out a payment plan for you.
worth calling & asking, at least...

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Try a warm, steamy bathroom for his congestion until something else can be done. Some cats like the smell or Vicks-Vapo-Rub, and that can help if you put some on a tissue and let him sniff it. These are things that will not hurt if they don't help. I hope you can work something out to see about his legs. It really stinks when money is tight and you can't get an animal much needed care. Do try the rescues, though, sometimes they can be a lot of help. Prayers and healing vibes for this poor baby. At least he has a chance now.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ccswicegood

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am very sad to say that only a few minutes after I posted this thread the poor kitten stopped breathing and passed away.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ccswicegood

I am very sad to say that only a few minutes after I posted this thread the poor kitten stopped breathing and passed away.
poor little one... at least s/he knew a caring heart before departing for the bridge.
for little no-name - you can run, again, now

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It did sound like it was very sick.

Watch your own cat very closely for any symptoms for a couple of weeks.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ccswicegood

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes, it was very pitiful. We called our vet before he passed, and she told us some things to do, but doubted he would make it. I don't know what made him so sick and injured; it's a mystery. There weren't any signs of an attack by another animal, but he had a very blank stare, and his eyes turned very red right before he died.

He's probably all happy now, though. :] No more suffering.

But thank you to everyone for their help.

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ccswicegood

Yes, it was very pitiful. We called our vet before he passed, and she told us some things to do, but doubted he would make it. I don't know what made him so sick and injured; it's a mystery. There weren't any signs of an attack by another animal, but he had a very blank stare, and his eyes turned very red right before he died.

He's probably all happy now, though. :] No more suffering.

But thank you to everyone for their help.
Thank you for taking care of the little kitty, I am glad he knew love before he went to the Bridge.

Run happy and healthy little kitty, you are now at the Bridge and you are not hurting any more.