kittens scratching sofa

wayne10

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
i have got 2 kittens one is a year old the other is 10 months old they are both female and both have been spaded the thing is they keep scratching the arm on one off the leather sofas they have got 2 scratch posts and lots off toys i was wondering the best way to get them to stop the scrathing of the sofas they are indoor cats many thanks wayne

maherwoman

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Do your kitties have other places they can scratch? I fully recommend getting one of those inexpensive cardboard kitty scratchers (that come with catnip to sprinkle onto the cardboard, that are flat and just sit on the floor). We've had GREAT success with them. That and trimming your kitties' claws should do the trick!

fifi1puss

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can get something called "soft claws...or paws"
I forget exactly, but they are quite common.

It goes over your kitties nails. Lots of people use them to keep them from scratching.

Also you could put double sided sticky tape where they like to stratch....I found that my cat just liked to stratch where the tape WASN'T
I was not about to tape my whole sofa!! But it is worth a try, every cat is different.

Also, because all cats are different you may want to try different fabrics for them to stratch....some like carpet, sisal, wood...some like vertical scratch posts...some like them to lay flat...or sloping.....

It's a process! But worth it.

Good luck! There is alot of resources out there to help with this sort of probelm.

jack31

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You need to be sure to redirect them when they scratch in an inappropriate place. So when they go for the couch take them to the scratch post. Can you place the post in front of the arm of the couch?

We taped tin foil to the couch when we brought home Harley. He lived on the streets and then in a cage at the shelter for 4 months so he had no "manners" on scratching. He now happily scratches on the backside of a piece of carpet, lying flat on the floor and no longer on my couch!

Leslie

shanynne

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jack31

You need to be sure to redirect them when they scratch in an inappropriate place. So when they go for the couch take them to the scratch post. Can you place the post in front of the arm of the couch?

We taped tin foil to the couch when we brought home Harley. He lived on the streets and then in a cage at the shelter for 4 months so he had no "manners" on scratching. He now happily scratches on the backside of a piece of carpet, lying flat on the floor and no longer on my couch!

Leslie
Very good suggestion!

Tin foil is a great idea

I have read somewhere to wrap the area in thick plastic wrap. That this might help to deter them as they don't like the feeling of it.

Personally I'm not for Softclaws, but that's because I don't know if the clue that is used is harmful to their nails in the long run.