Frontline and Advantage for outdoor cats

cc12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use Advantage which my vet prefers because it is not as harsh as Frontline. I am happy and flea free. I gave it to my stray, Lucia, who was flea free as were her kittens she had outside.

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by CC12

I use Advantage which my vet prefers because it is not as harsh as Frontline.
In my case, Frontline works better with my outdoor cats.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I pretty much just put it on my cats in the summer, the hotter months. I just treated them today in fact! I use Frontline or Frontline Plus but I buy the extra large dog and dose it down so it is cheaper. I do mine, my moms and my sisters cats so I would need to buy a lot if I don't but bulk.

cc12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I only do it in the summer too but some places you need to do it almost year round. Depends on the weather. Eastern Oregon is like the dessert and you would probably need to do it more often and longer. I live in Northwest Oregon and it is wet and even the summers can be chilly which is not the best weather for fleas to thrive in.

marianjela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jen

I pretty much just put it on my cats in the summer, the hotter months. I just treated them today in fact! I use Frontline or Frontline Plus but I buy the extra large dog and dose it down so it is cheaper. I do mine, my moms and my sisters cats so I would need to buy a lot if I don't but bulk.
I do this same thing, only we use Advantage. I buy it the 4 packs for a dog over 55 pounds. I use on one on my dog then I take a second one and carefully divide it up between the cats. One pack will last me all summer long!

The dogs dose comes in 4 MLs, the dose for a cat over 9 pounds is .8 MLs (.4 MLs for a cat or kitten under 9 pounds). I use a syringe to measure the amount with and put it on them with the syringe tip. This way I can treat 5 large cats or 10 small cats (or kittens) with just one tube! A lot of people dont realize it is the same medicine and strength, just larger volumes. In fact I was skeptical at first myself and made sure I researched it throughly before putting it on my cats.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I do it for monthly for my girls in summer, every 6 weeks in cooler months, even though we only have one cat who just has little trips outdoors. No fleas though

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I actually provide Advantage to the shelter to put on the ferals I get TNRd as well just to give them some relief for a while.

ipw533

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
At our spay/neuter clinics every cat gets Frontline unless the trapper indicates that the cat has already been treated. We have a supply of large dog doses--my specific function in the recovery area is flea treatment (although I can also do everything from ear cleaning to subcutaneaous fluids).

I draw the Frontline into a standard 3cc syringe; I leave the needle cap on but cut the tip of it off. This gives me a safe applicator--the cats don't go near the needle--and I "eyeball" the dosage based upon the size of the cat. I used to do this by touch and without gloves but no longer need to--I probably still have enough Frontline in my system to kill fleas just by looking at them.

Our clinics are upgrading to Revolution now. Revolution needs to be carefully measured to the weight of the cat, but in addition to fleas it also kills ear mites and worms. In the US it requires a prescription, but we've found our way around that.

With strays and ferals not fostered for adoption one must accept that there will be only one chance to treat the cat--best to treat it with the most effective medicine available....