*****KatKwery! - July 23 - is this game rigged?*****

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Let's make one thing perfectly clear. I am partial to nobody. Even Marianjela who managed to use the word imagine the other day (which was DW's and my wedding song) and has been winning ever since. She has now won four straight by using the word move. She then used squash(ed) which left that word open but nobody else used it. Monaxlisa used play(ing) but nobody used monster, or afraid.

Have you ever looked on TCS looking for a cat to buy or rescue? I did, just this morning, do you think I shall succeed? Besides TCS, and besides your local shelter, where else would you go to look for a specific breed of cat? How many cats would you absolutely draw the line at as far as being in your home? What is the highest amount of money you have ever paid for a cat or would pay for a cat?

marianjela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you ever looked on TCS looking for a cat to buy or rescue? I did, just this morning, do you think I shall succeed? Besides TCS, and besides your local shelter, where else would you go to look for a specific breed of cat? How many cats would you absolutely draw the line at as far as being in your home? What is the highest amount of money you have ever paid for a cat or would pay for a cat?
[/quote]

I swear I dont know Lee nor do I bribe him!
But I really do appreciate the points. I am working hard to catch up to the leaders!

I have looked on TCS for a cat, but I dont know if it was to buy really, I think I was really just teasing myself and window shopping. I am really partial to long-hair breeds of cats, and there are color combinations that really intrigue me! Most recently I have thought I would like to have a blue-eyed ragamuffin. I have also looked at the rescues and fosters up for adoption on here. But really, I have 3 cats already and fosters myself, so I dont know if I have physical room for more but one can dream!

Over three years ago we adopted a cat from our local shelter, that is what brought me to TCS originally. I admit to reading the newspapers to check out the cats and dogs on there. Sometimes I think I just like to tease myself, but I always think the perfect animal is going to be placed there on the day I dont look and I'd feel guilty! Although, I think I already own the perfect pets

I have also researched the internet looking for dogs and cats. For dogs, my family is partial to Newfoundlands and English Spinger Spaniels. What a mix huh? Our current Newf is coming up on his 8th birthday and we have been thinking of adding an addition in the future. As for cats... I am always on the web researching catteries. My only problem is I love so many different breeds, from Himalayans, to Siberians, to Maine Coons and Norwegian Forrest Cats, to Ragamuffins and even the curly haired breeds! ROFL How could I ever choose just one? They're like potato chips!

Well, like I said, we have 3 resident cats now, but one foster/orphan kitten at the moment. This year we have fostered two mom cats and their kittens, and their stay overlapped for a few weeks, at that point there were my three plus two adult mommas and nine kittens combined between them. Yikes. But permanently, I'd say we are getting close to our quota. I have room in my heart for a gaggle of cats, but kitty-litter wise, we have to draw the line somewhere! MAYBE, if I had to pick an absolute number - it would be four... or five... but I'm happy with 3 which leaves room for fosters.

As for what I would pay for a cat. Gulp. A while back I wanted a Mini-Kitty in the WORST way. But with the 3000 dollar price tag I think it was just way beyond my reach. Really anything in the thousand dollar range is steep, even for a dog (and I did say I want a newf...) But it is surprising what people pay. I guess it's hard to say. When it comes to buying a dog or a cat, you need to do your homework, you cant shop for bargains. For the most part, you really do get what you pay for when it comes to Back Yard Breeder / Puppy Mill prices as opposed to responsible breeders who run the proper tests, wait the appropriate times between litters, feed quality food and are sure their parents are healthy and up to date on vet care.

Sigh. I guess I've gone on enough.

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Persi & Alley

Let's make one thing perfectly clear. I am partial to nobody. Even Marianjela who managed to use the word imagine the other day (which was DW's and my wedding song) and has been winning ever since. She has now won four straight by using the word move. She then used squash(ed) which left that word open but nobody else used it. Monaxlisa used play(ing) but nobody used monster, or afraid.

I have never looked on TCS to buy or rescue a cat. It would be great if you could find what you are looking for on here Lee. Besides The Cat Site and the local shelter I would look for a cat in the local newspaper. It's hard to say how many cats I'd allow myself to have. DH would probably only let me have two. Depending on how bad I wanted a particular breed is how much I'd be willing to pay.

glitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Yeah I have, Just to see whats there is there, Ive always wanted a purebred cat of somekind, and it seems scamperfarms usually has some pretty cute ones!I hope you succeed! I always think long and hard before I realize if I want another cat there are many inpure ones that need rescuing! I would take one from the Rescue League any day though, if its coming my way! I had one scheduled to come here, the rides all figured out and then at the last minute the girl giving me the kitty thought she better wait for a couple weeks till the kitten was bigger and the ride opportunity never came available again! I would go online to oh crud why is the name of that site leaving my mind right now... umm....Oh Petfinder and theres another one thats good but I can't think straight... Lack of sleep, oh well that will work for that answer! The petstore too of course! I havn't figured out how many cats is too many yet, I think Ill keep trying!
If I come across one that needs help it will be with me, I dont think paying over 200 for mixed cat breed is very reasonable, however purebreds can go up to 2000 dollars, and if I buy them at the pet store I could save how many poor little mixed breeds for that price! Of course not all at once since I had to bottle feed the last one I got from there.. *grumbles* Most of my cat family came to me, I didn't have to go looking for them! People brought them over and dropped them off and such, so most of them were free which is an ideal price for me! Id rather spend the money spoiling them! The highest ammount of money I pair for a cat, wasn't to obtain it but to keep it alive, and it ran into almost 3000grand and that was to try to save Glitch, besides that the most I spent was 20$ on Eek! I always get them for free at the shelter so that never costs much except a days manual labor!

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

...who managed to use the word imagine the other day (which was DW's and my wedding song)...[/b]
Okay, Lee -- I knew you were cool but I had no idea you were THAT cool.
"Imagine" may be the most meaningful song ever written. And you and Sheri are my new heroes!

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise

no, 'cause i have more than enough right now! but if i ever decided on a purebred, i'd certainly check here, 1st - even if there were no breeders of the type i'd decided on. at least they'd be able to tell me what to look for, etc. & possibly even suggest a reputable breeder. for a moggy, i'd probably adopt one via Petfinder [where i found my Chip] or Petsmart. i'm currently at my limit w/5 [actually, 4, but i can't seem to get rid of that last one
]. Firefox is my most expensive cat [since none were actual purchases...] but that's because she was so poorly & it took quite a few vet visits before she was well! i'd have to go look at her bills to give an actual $ amount, tho.

cocoa cream

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Man, I keep getting in on the action so late these days! I need to catch up! It's hard to use the secret words when you're the last one to post!

Anyway, no, I haven't searched the Cat Site looking for a cat or kitten to purchase or save. Since I joined as a result of acquiring my three kittens, I have not really be interested in getting any more. I couldn't afford it anyway! I'm sure with all the rescuers, foster homes and resources on this site that you will easily be able to find another cat that is the perfect addition! I don't think I'd ever really look for a certain breed or type of cat. I'm really a farm cat kind of girl, so I prefer plain old domestic cats. If I ever do get another cat, I'm pretty sure I'd go to a shelter or rescue organization. We got these kittens from some friends, and it has been one headache after another (translation: expensive!) If we'd gotten them from a shelter at least we'd have known they were up to date on shots, dewormed and all that good stuff! My husband and I want to get a puppy eventually, and we will probably look at local shelters and rescues before going to a breeder, although we do want a specific breed of dog. I think that three cats will have to be the limit for us because of cost. All the veterinarian bills, food, litter and other supplies really add up, and we are on a tight budget around here! I've never actually bought a cat, and I probably never will. So the highest amount I can see myself paying to actually get a kitty would be whatever the adoption fees are at the local shelters!

belongstoevie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Cocoa Cream

Man, I keep getting in on the action so late these days! I need to catch up! It's hard to use the secret words when you're the last one to post!
Yeah it is! But don't worry, you're not last today!
Gotta make this quick and short to try to get in the deadline!!

No, I haven't ever looked on TCS for a cat. I came here after I got my kitty, and she wants to remain an only girl! Maybe in 20 years when Evie is playing at the bridge, I will look on here for another cat.

I do think you will succeed in finding a cat on here if you really want! I, for one, have 5 fosters that need a good home.

For a specific breed of cat? I would probably Google the cat. Since I'm me, I would look for a rescue of that breed. I don't believe in buying animals!

Sadly, other than fosters, Evie has drawn my line at one kitty! Next time, I may look for a pair. So, two is probably max for me.

I would never buy a cat, so zero dollars for that. But to adopt? What ever necessary. If I wanted a cat that was really sick and needed a $3,000 doctor whatever (surgery, meds), I would do it!! We got Evie from the shelter, and she only cost us $25, including her spay!

abbycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I saw you were looking for a Ocicat. Nice choice! Good luck in your search

If looking for a purebreed I would contact breeders of that specific cat.

I have 6 indoor cats. My husband keeps me to that amount or I would probably have more

600.00 is the most I have paid for purebred cat. Mine are all pet quality. I love them so much

The highest amount I would pay for a purebred is.... open.

PS. I also have rescued cats and they are priceless

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know if I've made it past the deadline (I have been SOOOO busy at work I can't EVER get on anymore, even at home) but I digress...

I did adopt a purebred cat from a member here. I wasn't really looking for one, but I was one of those helping one breeder with a premature baby, then labor stopped, and we all got really involved with it. Then there were 5 more babies born, one of whom died. So she named the survivors after kittens on TCS that had died too soon. She named one after my Smudge. So, even though he was in Maine, and I'm in Colorado, I bought him and had him flown to me. He is the funnest and funniest cat I know! It was about $700 or $750 for the adoption, neutering and plane fare.

I've looked at other purebred cats online here, but I have 5 indoor cats now, and that's pretty much my limit. Tigger is going on 19, but is extremely healthy, so I'm not thinking of making any additions any time soon.

marianjela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kluchetta

I did adopt a purebred cat from a member here. I wasn't really looking for one, but I was one of those helping one breeder with a premature baby, then labor stopped, and we all got really involved with it. Then there were 5 more babies born, one of whom died. So she named the survivors after kittens on TCS that had died too soon. She named one after my Smudge.
That is a nice story Kim! I knew part of Smudge's arrival history, but the part about him being named after TCS's RB kitties is touching!

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Marianjela

That is a nice story Kim! I knew part of Smudge's arrival history, but the part about him being named after TCS's RB kitties is touching!
The other kittens were Ares (ScamperFarms), Chance (Princeegrl) and Yuki (Ilovesiamese). Chance turned out to be a chocolate mitted ragdoll (beautiful), and Yuki was perfectly marked enough to show!

baloneysmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have never looked on TCS for a cat thinking no one really lives all that close to me. However if there was a cat in need that I was able to drive too easily I would probably help out. Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]m not sure if you will succeed, hopefully! New cats are always fun to get.

I donâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t think I would go anywhere to get a cat. Every animal I have had my whole life has been an animal I just came across. Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]ve never been out looking for one. Also I donâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t think I would ever look for a specific breed. My animals always call out to me, they choose my breed, I donâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t choose theirs lol.

Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]m not sure about a cat amount. I would like to think 8 would be the absolute limit. 4 would be my ideal amount and id leave 4 open just for emergencies for cats that needed absolute help or their lives would be in jeopardy. I think financially and emotionally that is enough for me.

I wouldnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t pay anything for a breed of cat. I have nothing against full breed cats and Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]m not one to judge people that get them because I donâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t really care. Thatâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s just it lol I just donâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t care about breed and to be honest I never knew any other cat breed other then a Persian and Siamese before this site.