Poor Little Guy

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yesterday all the kids (Meaning my 2 sons and the neighbors 2 daughters) came running in the house yelling something about a opposum.
Since Brandon was at work, it's mom to the rescue

In the front yard by the fence was a baby opposum just cowering and hissing away!
I made all the kids stay on the porch while I grabbed the cat carrier, a towel and a glove.
All in one swoop I quickly put the little guy in the carrier and carted him off to the field across the street.

My neighbor went with me and we donned him....George Jones

He scurried off into the bushes without looking back.

I was worried he wouldn't make it without his mother but this morning on my way into work I seen momma and George walking through the bushes

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lauracatlover

Yay! he made it ok!

Good for you! Shame you couldn't have got the kids to take a few shots

I would have but it all happened so quickly that I didn't get a chance to grab my camera

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Dixie_Darlin

Yesterday all the kids (Meaning my 2 sons and the neighbors 2 daughters) came running in the house yelling something about a opposum.
Since Brandon was at work, it's mom to the rescue

In the front yard by the fence was a baby opposum just cowering and hissing away!
I made all the kids stay on the porch while I grabbed the cat carrier, a towel and a glove.
All in one swoop I quickly put the little guy in the carrier and carted him off to the field across the street.

My neighbor went with me and we donned him....George Jones

He scurried off into the bushes without looking back.

I was worried he wouldn't make it without his mother but this morning on my way into work I seen momma and George walking through the bushes
Awww, bless

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I lived in Wisconsin I used to put food out for the stray cats. One night I heard a commotion at the door, and my cats were all sitting there hissing & spitting, I opened the door to find a huuuge possum sitting there eating the cat food.

It happened here too, a few weeks ago, out on the back porch. Apparently, possums LOVE cat food!

You're a sweetheart for rescuing the poor baby!
But be careful: possoms carry rabies..

~KK~

dawnofsierra

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by KittKatt

~KK~
Opossums are actually the least likely of all mammals, including humans, to carry rabies. It takes 200 times the amount of rabies which infects a raccoon to infect an opossum, and this is via injection directly into the bloodstream, thus bypassing their natural immune defenses.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

When I lived in Wisconsin I used to put food out for the stray cats. One night I heard a commotion at the door, and my cats were all sitting there hissing & spitting, I opened the door to find a huuuge possum sitting there eating the cat food.

It happened here too, a few weeks ago, out on the back porch. Apparently, possums LOVE cat food!

~KK~
Yeah, and they can be down right nasty to cats! When I was feeding the barn cats on the back porch of our old house, I would have to literally stand there to make sure the cats could eat and the possums would hover like vultures in the shadows waiting for me to leave so they could chase the cats away. I interrupted a few good fights the possums started. Raccoons are just as bad but they wouldn't get as close to me.

I'm glad you saved the little guy and he's home with his mamma now.

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good job reuniting the mother and baby.
Fred would make friends with just about any cat, but he had a possum friend, too. They would hang out on the same tree branch together. I came out of my kitchen one morning, and there it sat in my hallway, just like it was looking for Fred. He just turned around and walked off, not the least bit afraid.
My mil had one that would come into her house and terrorize her. It would hiss and growl and chase her out of the kitchen. They came in one evening and it was sitting in her kitchen with a fork in one paw and a fish bone in the other. They finally trapped it in a trash can and took it off.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

~KK~
Originally Posted by DawnofSierra

Opossums are actually the least likely of all mammals, including humans, to carry rabies. It takes 200 times the amount of rabies which infects a raccoon to infect an opossum, and this is via injection directly into the bloodstream, thus bypassing their natural immune defenses.
I was just about to post the same thing
Thank you for clearing that up!

And after I set him loose I actually threw some cat food in the bushes for them

dawnofsierra

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by calico2222

Yeah, and they can be down right nasty to cats! When I was feeding the barn cats on the back porch of our old house, I would have to literally stand there to make sure the cats could eat and the possums would hover like vultures in the shadows waiting for me to leave so they could chase the cats away. I interrupted a few good fights the possums started. Raccoons are just as bad but they wouldn't get as close to me.
In my experience, I respectfully disagree.

mer636

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww that is sooo cute and so nice of you to rescue him
so many people out there would of just killed it bless