Question Of The Day - Wednesday, July 23rd!

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good morning!

Sorry I'm late with the question today. I was visiting a friend this morning, who recently had major surgery.

My question of the day...

Are you (or SO, or other family members) allergic to your cats?

Several years ago, my family doctor decided that I was allergic to my cats (no allergy testing done.) I wheeze terribly when they sleep with me. I have to vacuum frequently or else I get the sniffles, watery eyes, ect. I've been on Zyrtec for a couple of years, and had an albuterol inhaler for at least 10 years! Just recently, I was given a prescription for antihistimine eyedrops (Pataday) because my itchy, watery eyes have become such an issue!

So, yes, I'm allergic to my cats. However, like I told my doctor,...."Getting rid of my cats is absolutely NOT an option....so what else can you do for me?!"

coolcat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pookie-poo

Good morning!
Sorry I'm late with the question today. I was visiting a friend this morning, who recently had major surgery.
Good morning my friend!...

Answering at you question, thanks to God nobody are allergic!

I hope your friend is well now...

((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((
))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))
for a soon recovery of this person...

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nope
I'm not allergic to anything, and as far as I know neither is he. Occasionally in the spring I might get some allergies from the pollen, but that's not all the time either.

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pookie-poo

Good morning!

My question of the day...

Are you (or SO, or other family members) allergic to your cats?

Several years ago, my family doctor decided that I was allergic to my cats (no allergy testing done.) I wheeze terribly when they sleep with me. I have to vacuum frequently or else I get the sniffles, watery eyes, ect. I've been on Zyrtec for a couple of years, and had an albuterol inhaler for at least 10 years! Just recently, I was given a prescription for antihistimine eyedrops (Pataday) because my itchy, watery eyes have become such an issue!

So, yes, I'm allergic to my cats. However, like I told my doctor,...."Getting rid of my cats is absolutely NOT an option....so what else can you do for me?!"
My very best friend's wife is and I mean violently so she cannot come spend the night with us. So sad...

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My bf is slightly allergic, but I'm not. Once he gets used to a particular cat in the house though, his symptoms pretty much go away.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nope, my ex-husband was - that is one reason we had Cornish rex cats. The funny thing is that after he moved back home to mommy/daddy (who do NOT have pets) - he still had allergies and skin problems.......lol

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I got tested for allergies which showed up more when we moved here. I got shots and the first thing the allergist asked me was if I had a cat. I had Brownie, the mostly outdoor cat so he gave me the cat shots first. So, no problems.

However, if Butzie has been rubbing against something that is pollenating and then rubs up against me, the sneezing starts. Brings new meaning to "something the cat dragged in."

mbjerkness

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am, I just realized why, I have had so many asthma attacks lately. Gus has been sleeping on my pillow. So I will have to keep my bedroom door closed. I take a daily allergy pill

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No allergies but sometimes in late summer if the cats come in after running around outside they may have pollen on them which will flair up my seasonal allergies.

I have relatives who don't like cats though-we are the only ones to have cats currently!!

belongstoevie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

No one here allergic to cats, thank god....or the person would have to go!
Aw, don't say that! I'd have to go!

I'm pretty allergic to cats, which is most of the reason why Evie is my first kitty. Still, it only took a few months to adjust to Evie. I used to keep her banned from the bedroom. Now she sleeps on my face.

So I adjusted to her, but obviously I'm still allergic as the X-Pack was really hard on me. Add to that the smoke from all those CA fires, and I nearly died! I sure loved my allergy pills at that time!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do have asthma and allergies- but thankfully for me cats/dogs are not really any of my triggers. I am insanely allergic to smoke and dust however- so i avoid that and clean my house pretty often.

The only thing about my cats that bothers me is their shedding -it drives my eyes crazy! (I have chronic dry eye and insanely bad eye allergies) I take allergy drops for my eyes during the day, sleep with eye gel in my eyes at night and try to keep their fur off of my face. The cats also are not allowed in our bedroom anymore- i just couldn't handle it! The dogs are- but their fur doesn't seem to bother me though.

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Neither of us, and none of our family or close friends, is allergic to cats. We do have one friend who has never been in our house, because she is severely allergic. Her usual comment when discovering that there is a resident cat is "I'm sure it's lovely, but I'd prefer to breathe, thanks."