My new cat/kitten

pearl88

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I adopted a cat or kitten(shes ten months old so idk) from a rescue society 2 days ago.Their they had her on Purina.Im pretty sure theirs better stuff out their for her.Can anybody reccomend me a good food?I think it should be a kitten food tho since kitten foods have a higher fat content and shes VERY skinny.Thxs

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pearl88

I adopted a cat or kitten(shes ten months old so idk) from a rescue society 2 days ago.Their they had her on Purina.Im pretty sure theirs better stuff out their for her.Can anybody reccomend me a good food?I think it should be a kitten food tho since kitten foods have a higher fat content and shes VERY skinny.Thxs
you're already on the right track, there.
this thread has LOADS of info: what food do you use & why?
welcome to TCS!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pearl88

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
thxs so much

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If she is pretty skinny, then get her on kitten food for a few months. Normally I don't recommend kitten food after 5-6 months old, unless they are sick or in need of extra calories.

Royal Canin, Max Cat, Wellness, or Natural Balance are all better foods then Purina.

sweetkara

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My kitten loves the Wellness Kitten food (wet). He's been eating Blue Buffalo dry kitten food but I'm switching him over to Wellness CORE so he can eat the same as my adult cat (it's for all ages).

I let my Kirby have as much dry as he wants and give him a couple spoonfuls of wet food about 3 times a day.

sakura

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Congratulations on your new baby
We would love to see pictures. What did you name her? Thank you for adopting from a rescue group/shelter, there are so many kittens that need homes! Your cat is lucky to have you.

I only just stopped feeding Chloe kitten food and she is 11.5 months old. She has always been small for her age. When I adopted Matilda, the shelter said that she was 9-10 months old but she was definitely full grown (my vet thought she was at least 1) so I fed her adult food. GoldenKitty is right, you do have to watch what your cats eat because you don't want them to become overweight. Also, I would try to give her some wet food every day.

As for good kitten foods, I like Wellness Kitten (it's at PetCo). When I first adopted Chloe, I fed her Nutro Natural Complete Kitten, which is a good food for the price. Nutro Max would be a good kitten food too. Royal Canin's kitten food (not babycat, but the kitten #34 one) is another one I would recommend. Make sure to gradually switch her dry food over because cats have sensitive stomachs. (You start out by feeding mostly her old food and a little of the new food, and then as the week goes on you add more of her new food and less of her old).

Usually rescues can't afford to feed a really premium dry food, but their priorities are elsewhere. Some shelters have food donated from major pet food companies (the pet food companies want to help but I think part of it is that they hope the cat will keep eating their food in the new home). The place I adopted Matilda from received Iams dry food for free from the company. The cat rescue where I live gets all of the dry food free from Hill's (Science Diet).

pearl88

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My computar wont let me put periods at the end of scentences today for some reason so sorry yallz Well the dry food she is eating right now is called blue spa kitten chicken and rice flavor I put her on this before i read all your posts i went to petco yesterday and got her this wet food called organix is this food any good and is her dry food any goood juss wana make sure or else next time i go to petco ill buy her some of the wellness you reccommended BTW her name is jade because she has really pretty green eyes and is the food brand solid gold any good THXS

pearl88

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
any1.......................?

maxcat08

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm not familiar with Organix, but I believe that the Blue Spa Select is good. Read the ingredients....there should be lots of meat, water and nutrients...and not alot of grains, corn or wheat, and NO by-products of any kind.

I know that the Wellness is excellent food, both the wet and dry variety.

Try to feed Jade more wet than dry...that's more natural for a kitty, and she needs the fluid.

My cats eat mainly wet, and because I go to work, I leave dry food for them in case I get home a little late.

Same answer for the Solid Gold brand. Read the ingredients. That's where you find out if the food is a premium food or not.

Hope that helps! Good Luck with Jade, she sounds pretty!

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't much like Organix. Solid Gold I liked until a formula change. Blue Spa Select is OK.

breakyourface

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You could try putting dry food in some milk, or just go with some premium stuff.

pearl88

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ok thanks.
I think ill try the wellness brand because today i fed her some organix wet food and she didnt touch it.All she wants to eat is fancy feast!!lol

skimble

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Jade is lucky to have you. I fed my rescues kitten food for a few months to get more nutrition and fat. I then changed slowly to Orijen dry, California Natural chicken and rice (everybodies fav) and Pinnacle Peak Protein. I always give wet two to three times a day. Various brands and flavors. Some brands wet that I use are.....Wellness grain free, PetGuard turkey, Authority lamb, Eagle, Natural Balance chicken/liver pate, EVO cat & kitten, some others that I can't think of. Just read ingredients for good quality.

I have heard those with experience warn about putting any liquids in their dry food. I think bacteria sets in quickly. Also never give regular cows milk. Use a kitten replacement milk or a milk for cats from the pet store. Goats milk is okay.

Here are some articles and links that may help when you feel like reading.
http://www.catinfo.org/
http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=163739
http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.ph...switchingfoods

Post some pictures when you can......would love to see her.

sailahara

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My little one also loves Fancy Feast! We dont live around a pet store or anything all we have is Walmart. So I hope that he grows up normal!