Please send positive thoughts for Mukluk.

cyndr03

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Mukluk has not been feeling well and I took her to the vet today. Mukluk is six and has never been sick before. The vet said that one kidney was bigger than the other and it could be cancer or an infection. She was able to get a blood sample. She could not get a urine sample or give fluids because Mukluk was too mad. I took Mukluk home and the plan is to give her a sedative and take her back tomorrow morning so the vet can get the urine sample and give her fluids. She is eating and I gave her some water with tuna juice in it to encourage her to drink. Anyway I am just worried about her and hope that people can please hope the best for my baby girl. I love her so much. Thank you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cyndr03

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you. She is much happier to be home tonight than at the vets. She is such a sweet girl. I'm worried and sad and hoping that she will be OK. Thanks so much for your positive thoughts.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Cyndr03

Thank you. She is much happier to be home tonight than at the vets. She is such a sweet girl. I'm worried and sad and hoping that she will be OK. Thanks so much for your positive thoughts.
yeah, none of mine like the vet, either.
sending & for Mukluk...

cyndr03

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for all the support. The vet says that Mukluk has mild to moderate renal failure. She has elevated BUN and Creatinine (sp) levels, a normal white blood cell count and a normal thyroid. Normal range for BUN is 14-36 and hers is 97, normal range for creatinine is .6 - 2.4 and hers is 4.4, They got a urine sample today but do not have the results back yet. She has to go back to the vet again tomorrow for a kidney ultrasound. So it isn't sounding very good. At best it's a bad UTI and worst it could be cancer. I guess the ultrasound will help to determine the diagnosis. She is such a sweet cat- if she has cancer I don't know what the prognosis would be. If she can't have a comfortable life then it would be better to put her down but I hope I don't have to make that decision. Again thanks for your support. Mukluk and I appreciate it (and so does Mukie's sister Stinkerbelle and her mama Essie). They were all abandoned at a park when Stinkerbelle and Mukluk were still nursing kittens and I've had them ever since. It is so hard to go through this with my baby girl. Thank you again.

aswient

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry, maybe the other tests will be alright, many Prayers and for Mukluk and you. Please keep us updated.

maxcat08

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Here's hoping that it's just an infection and can be treated. Perhaps if she does have cancer in only one kidney...they can take it out and she'll be fine. She is so young.

My dearly departed cat Wayne had lymphoma that settled in both his kidneys...yet his kidney functions, as well as all his other functions, were perfectly normal...stange!!

With her high levels, perhaps it isn't cancer....but something else that is treatable.

I'll keep my fingers crossed...and send hugs...

cyndr03

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Mukie has been eating a lot since I brought her back from the vet today. She is also drinking and purrs when I pet her. She is so sweet. She is also smart and I'm not sure how easy it will be to get her to the vet again tomorrow (it will be the third trip to the vet in three days). I hope she will be dumb enough to fall for tuna. She is such a good girl. I hope we can pull through this.

aswient

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It's tough getting them into their carriers, I know, mine hates it. Some how you manage. Good luck.

cyndr03

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The vet determined that Mukluk does not have a urinary tract infection. However, the ultrasound shows that the enlarged kidney is lumpy and there is some kind of mass. They aspirated part of the mass and the lab should be back tomorrow. So depending, we might be looking at removing a kidney. I am just happy that Mukluk is home now and eating- and we don't have to go back to the vet tomorrow- so far as I know. I just hope she can recover- she is such a sweet cat and I love her very much. Thanks for all the support and please keep Mukie in your thoughts.

aswient

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm glad Mukluk doesn't have a UTI, thats good. It helps to have her back home with you. Prayers and for Mukie and you.

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Best wishes for the most positive prognosis possible. It's so hard when you're waiting, but you're doing everything you can for your sweet girl.

cyndr03

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
They didn't have the lab back yet today. That will show if she has cancer. I just cried a lot today. If she has cancer they could consider removing the bad kidney but we aren't sure if the other kidney could sustain her. Even if they determine that the good kidney could sustain her, it's hard to think of putting her through the surgery. She is just a little cat and only weighs six pounds. If it isn't cancer we are still looking at very poor kidney function. I would do what I could to help her but it isn't worth it to keep her alive if she is going to be miserable. I am just so sad. I don't want to lose her. This just breaks my heart. She is such a baby and such a sweet girl. I love her so much. It just isn't fair. Thanks for listening- it is so hard to go through this.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can your vet remove Kidneys. My Vet told me I would have to go to Uc Davis if Yoshi had it done. I hope your Cat will be ok. The day before my stormy was Pts her kidneys were gone and they beieve she had Cancer in the Kidney. How does your Cat act?

cyndr03

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Apparently there is a vet in the practice, whom I have not met yet, who could remove the kidney. I'll be asking a lot of questions first- I moved to the area a few months ago and this practice was recommended to me. So far I think the care has been good. Anyway, removing the kidney is not an option unless she has cancer. Supposedly the lab should be in tomorrow so I'll find out if it's cancer tomorrow. They would do tests to assess the function of the other kidney first. And I wonder about whether Mukluk could handle an operation given how little she is and how sick she's been. She is a young cat so I guess that would be a positive.

With regard to her behavior, Mukluk has been pretty quiet not moving around too much but she does walk around. She has been eating and I am putting ice cubes in the water because she likes that. I'm trying to get her to drink. When she was eating I was sitting by her petting her and she was purring. She likes to sit on top of some boxes so she has been jumping up there (about 2 feet high) and down. So I guess she is doing pretty well all things considered. Just glad I can be home with her for the weekend.