Falconry

pixietina

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
ok well ive spoke too the man next door but 3 for ages and always wanted my own bird of prey,
well..... finally i may get a barn owl itll not be after x mas, but itll be well worth the wait and lessons

emeraldsongbird

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Wow, that's actually really cool. I woudn't mind being like Ardeth Bey in the Mummy
haha That is really cool, goodluck with everything!

lauracatlover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh cool!

My friend's brother has three owls. Two big brown ones (have no idea what they are) and a barn owl, and he has to go and shoot small birds for them to eat.

Good luck with your barn owl!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pixietina

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lauracatlover

Oh cool!

My friend's brother has three owls. Two big brown ones (have no idea what they are) and a barn owl, and he has to go and shoot small birds for them to eat.

Good luck with your barn owl!
bengal eagle owls?

i wouldnt go shooting for em?
why cant he buy cheap meat from the shop?
id buy some meat and probably spoil it with a bit of rabbit fromthe butchers

lauracatlover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by EmeraldSongbird

I've always wanted an owl since Harry Potter LOL
lol

Originally Posted by pixietina

bengal eagle owls?

i wouldnt go shooting for em?
why cant he buy cheap meat from the shop?
id buy some meat and probably spoil it with a bit of rabbit fromthe butchers
I have no idea why he won't buy meat. Maybe the fact he just broke his hip. But still, I was there on the day he had to do it.

Glad you're not gonna be as stupid is as he is

What you planning on calling this cutie? Or has he/she already got a name?

pixietina

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lauracatlover

lol

I have no idea why he won't buy meat. Maybe the fact he just broke his hip. But still, I was there on the day he had to do it.

Glad you're not gonna be as stupid is as he is

What you planning on calling this cutie? Or has he/she already got a name?
The SO wants too call it ollie

i get the feeling this will be HIS owl... my dream me doing the hard work and graft.... his owl

ive looked at a few but we will only get parent reared there better behaved

babywukong

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh dear, I think I'm going to offend some people here... IMO keeping birds, especially large birds of prey is downright cruel. They are supposed to up there soaring in the skies, exhibiting natural behaviours, not cooped up in a barn or something... No matter how large the area is, its nothing compared to their natural habitat! I always feel sad when I see majestic birds being kept in captivity... I do hope you'll reconsider. But I understand its a personal choice...

pixietina

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
i also felt this way for a while soooo ive decided maybe its best if i rescue one instead?
like the ones that have hurt legs and so on?
that way its rewarding too look after it and release?

babywukong

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by pixietina

i also felt this way for a while soooo ive decided maybe its best if i rescue one instead?
like the ones that have hurt legs and so on?
that way its rewarding too look after it and release?
I love that idea! You'd be doing a great deed for injured birds. Releasing them into the wild when they are better would be good too, but I guess you'd need expert help when deciding if a bird is ready to be released into the wild. Of course those who are maimed too badly will need your care for life. Sorry I cannot help on this as I have had no prior experience, but I applaud your decision all the same

pixietina

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by BabyWukong

I love that idea! You'd be doing a great deed for injured birds. Releasing them into the wild when they are better would be good too, but I guess you'd need expert help when deciding if a bird is ready to be released into the wild. Of course those who are maimed too badly will need your care for life. Sorry I cannot help on this as I have had no prior experience, but I applaud your decision all the same
yeah id do some extensive reasearch and talk too the man next door but 3 he has kept and rescued birds for years, and theres a rescue about 20 miles away that i am going too volunteer for one i pass my driving lessons(give that a few years
)
but i dont want too rush into anything this is a BIG decision

chausiefan

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Id be careful what species of bird you get many of them can be extremly dangerous

why not get a haris hawk since they are easy to train almost always safe and you can let it out to fly around everyday (out in the sky no cage) that way its not cruel?

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure about overseas, but in the US, there are very specific and strict rules regarding the bird species you can keep and under what circumstances.
For example (now it may have changed since I looked into it), during an apprenticeship, you must work in the rescue/rehab/conservation aspect of raptors.
After achieving your apprecticeship falconry permit (after about a year), you are only eligible to obtain, handle and train a Red Tailed hawk.

It is not an easy, or cheap hobby, nor is it one that anyone but the most serious can do.

As for keeping them caged, the only caged raptors I know of in captivity are those unable to fend for themselves, and of course all are caged during roosting hours for safety.
Part of the art of falconry is training the birds to be free flying.

babywukong

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Its great that there are laws which state that only people who are in the business of rehab/conservation be allowed to keep such birds

I would never agree with folks who keep them just for the sake of having a novelty pet.