Stroller for my big old dog?

baloneysmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
When I moved about a 18 hour car ride from my parents house a year ago (where I was living) I left my 11 year old German Shepherd because my family thought she couldnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t handle the stress of the drive, and the move. She was mostly mine, but a family dog as well.

I am missing her like crazy and want her back and am in the process of doing this I am trying to get prepared.

My question is this: I have a puppy (bruno) that I go for jogs with a few times a week. My Shepherd (Her name is Silver) has major arthritis to the point where she is on pain killers (metacam) everyday, and has been for a few years. I really hate the thought of her sitting there wondering what she is missing while I take Bruno for a run so my thoughts turn to getting her a stroller. Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]ve seen ones for tiny dogs, but do they have ones for 70 lb+ dogs? If they do, does anyone have experience with these? Are they sturdy? Are they smooth enough to run with, or are they going to get caught in every crack and tip over? Anything else I should know?

Thanks in advanced for your help!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

baloneysmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks so much for the links guys! I was more looking for http://www.wicycle.com/pet_bicycle_trailer_large.php. A stroller type thing like youâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]d put babies in. She can walk a bit, I can probably walk with her in my 15 min warm up but for the actual run id put her in the stroller.

At least I will probably be able to meet my neighbors. I think if I saw someone with a 70 lb German Shepherd in a stroller I would laugh my butt off lol.

buzbyjlc10

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
State College, PA and Haddon Township, NJ
Just a thought here before you go spending money on it...

I have a 14 year old black lab and she's doing very well for her age, but we have noticed she's not as accepting of new things as she used to be and even putting her in the tub for a bath (which we've done since day 1 with her) stresses her out... if you're worried about your pup stressing over the car ride to your new place, have you thought that she may stress being put into a stroller? It's probably something she's never experienced before and it may freak her out... I don't have experience with pet strollers in particular, but thought I'd kinda through that idea out in case you hadn't thought about that aspect of it

baloneysmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by BuzbyJLC10

Just a thought here before you go spending money on it...

I have a 14 year old black lab and she's doing very well for her age, but we have noticed she's not as accepting of new things as she used to be and even putting her in the tub for a bath (which we've done since day 1 with her) stresses her out... if you're worried about your pup stressing over the car ride to your new place, have you thought that she may stress being put into a stroller? It's probably something she's never experienced before and it may freak her out... I don't have experience with pet strollers in particular, but thought I'd kinda through that idea out in case you hadn't thought about that aspect of it
Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]m not too worried about it. Its not that sheâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s stressed out over new situations sheâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s actually very good with new things. My Mom was concerned about the entire change of her life. New area, new people, new neighbors, new house… just overall newness. Also she loves car rides, they were just concerned about being in the car for so long with her arthritis.

Sheâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s a great dog and before she got old I used to take her everywhere. On another note, sheâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s a crusty old hag and hates everyone. Thatâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s another reason they were worried. She will be away from everyone she knows except me.

Thanks for the links all =) I will have to check them out! I appreciate it.

emeraldsongbird

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I know this probably doesn't help at ALL....

But today my mom and I went to this new petshop near Athens, and there was a big dog stroller in the front!! And I said, "OH MOM! A big stroller! Someone was asking about it on TCS!" She just nodded unconcerned, of course, because she has no clue. But it was unique, to say the least.

It's a little hole in the wall so I don't think they'd have a website or whatever, but... I just had to mention that.

baloneysmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Cool, well now I know they are out there =). My town is so crappy when it comes to pet stores. Since I will have to drive to Toronto to pick her up I will probably grab one in Toronto since itâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s a huge city and most likely has something. Thanks for letting me know there is at least something like what I need out there!

roxsam

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Aww, that's so sweet of you! I would do that for my dog!!

That would be really funny though! If you get one post some pics oh him in it!!

pixietina

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
theres a lady by us who made one out of a buggy its compeletely open just like the DIY shops have

her dog loves it

faith's_mom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You know, if she has arthritis, she may not be able to sit, or lay very well in those strollers; they are meant for a dog that can sit well...unfortunately, not for dogs that may have joint issues, who may need to sprawl out, in order to be comfortable. Just a thought.

Something you could do too, is to take both dogs out for a nice calm walk, then go home, give the old girl a nice stuffed Kong a nice soft bed, and then go for your jog; she will probably have a much nicer time actually walking with you, than having to sit there...if I know German Shepards, that is...they are so dignified!!! My mom's old girl, who passed away this spring, loved jogging, and walking with the family, up til the day she passed, even though we knew she had some joint trouble.

babywukong

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Its an extremely sweet thought
Sorry I can't help, I haven't ever seen anything like what you need here in Singapore.