Was this necessary?

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I took Popsie to the vet for a check up today. We went to somebody new because I haven't really cared for his last two vets. He's an indoor only cat so I haven't had him vaccinated since he was a kitten. The vet wanted to give him a rabies shot as a precautionary measure. Like in case he would bite one of the vet staff if he wasn't vaccinated he'd have to be quarantined. I understand the point of it but I just don't know if it was really needed. The other vets he has been to have never insisted on a rabies vaccination.

sailahara

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am new to the cat world but I do know that if you take your cat anywhere including the vet, then there is a chance for rabies to be passed. We just had a case in KY where a dog bit a bat that had rabies and now is under quarentine. Please everyone Cat or Dog PLEASE give your pet rabies vaccine if no other!

optionken

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It is true that vets may quarintine or even kill a cat if bitten an the cat wasn't vaccinated. As far as for the cats benefit goes, there are no good reasons to get boosters after the original shots imo
There is no proof that boosters extend the life of the vaccine and may actually shorten the duration. They can also kill or cause major helth problems. I recommend the first set of vaccines for kittens and that is it.

I find these stats unreal
http://www.vaclib.org/legal/PetsDying.htm
and another
http://www.geocities.com/Petsburgh/F...cinations.html

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well I think the main concern was that Popsie would bite them. Not that he would contract rabies while there. I mean I really have a hard time accepting that it was needed. He's never bit a vet staff (I know there's always a first time for everthing) and he doesn't go outside. He accidentally got out early last year but if he got rabies from that I would have know by now.

emmylou

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
An indoor cat definitely needs vaccinations, and in certain parts of the country (including mine) that includes rabies. Your vet was right.

Indoor cats aren't living in a hermetically sealed bubble. It's possible for them to catch something from another animal through a window screen, through insects that have bitten other animals, and also through germs you might carry in on your shoes or clothing. Plus your cat has already gotten outside once, proving how necessary it is.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by emmylou

An indoor cat definitely needs vaccinations, and in certain parts of the country (including mine) that includes rabies. Your vet was right.
yearly rabies [not the 3 year] is required in my state, as well.

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What gets me though is why the other two vets he has been to haven't wanted to give him a rabies shot.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Rabies vaccinations are required where we live so we have no choice. Having said that, Bijou was bitten a few weeks ago (we believe by a raccoon mom protecting her 2 babies). Fortunately he was up to date on his shots. He did end up with a large abscess on his back where he was bitten and had to have it drained and a tube put in for a week. So, yes, I was extremely happy that he had his rabies shot.

There's also a question as to whether cat vaccines really last as long as some folks think they do. I don't know one way or the other for sure so I'll opt for the safe choice of having the vaccinations done for my cats. Everyone has to do what they think is right for their own cats and base it on where they live, what animals or diseases may be in the area, etc.

j_f_a

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We went to somebody new because I haven't really cared for his last two vets.
Are these the two vets who haven't insisted on shots? The fact that you're not happy with them should tell you that they weren't very good. So even though they've not insisted on the shot before it's more than likely because they weren't very good.

There's a lot of bad vetts that will say "You're pet is indoors it doesn't need shots" and it's a lie. They do need their shots. A good vet will tell you that they need their shots. I wouldn't be upset I'd be relieved that you found a concientus vet.

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by J_F_A

Are these the two vets who haven't insisted on shots? The fact that you're not happy with them should tell you that they weren't very good. So even though they've not insisted on the shot before it's more than likely because they weren't very good.

There's a lot of bad vetts that will say "You're pet is indoors it doesn't need shots" and it's a lie. They do need their shots. A good vet will tell you that they need their shots. I wouldn't be upset I'd be relieved that you found a concientus vet.
I'm not upset at all that she gave him the shot. I do see your point about the other vets though.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
At Popsie's age, IMO, the vaccination was an unnecessary risk. My vet will not vaccinate a cat over 12 years of age, I think it is. He gives you a little write up saying why this cat is not vaccinated, etc....even though rabies is required by law.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
White Cat Lover,
Thats what my Vet said about Coco becuse her age and Asthma and Bladder problems. He also is ne of the top 16% Vets in teh country.
Luv I replied to your Pm.
My old Vet said to quit giving stripe shots when she got the Crf. They do give you a letter saying why you didnt get the shots also.

kittymonsters

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My vet doesn't vaccinate older cats either. She specifically stated that Zoe is not to have any vaccinations again due to her CRF status. There are some studies which are indicating the Panleukopenia vaccine may actually increase kidney damage.

My biggest worry would be that this Vet still wanted to vaccinate Popsie even though he is a CRF kitty. If he has had any rabies vaccinations in the past he really did not need one, and legally the vet could write a statement that says vaccinating him would compromise his health. That way laws are complied with.

Humans in high risk occupations, like veterinarians, who get rabies vaccines get tested once every ten years and only re-vaccinated if their titers are below a certain level. We have a double standard going on here...vaccine companies don't want to dry up profits.

Over vaccination of our animals is a big problem.

I am sorry you are having a problem finding a vet you trust and are comfortable with.

boringjen

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I won't vaccinate my 10yo who lives on Prednisolone (no one seems to be able to decide if it's IBD, asthma, both, or something totally different). My vet won't give her the shot, so I can get a waiver if necessary. I have to vaccinate my 2yo (Lucy).

Lucy is a biter. I live in an apartment. She has yet to break our skin, but she is a biter in the best of circumstances (one of those love-hate super-sweet-until-I'm-biting-your-face-off kinda cats), and I can't guarantee that maintenance people won't end up in our apartment. When I'm here, none of them try to pet her, but she is very nosy and tries to engage them. If I'm here, I'll put her in the bedroom. I don't trust her not to cause problems when some cat-friendly maintenance guy decides to play with her and I'm not present. She gets the Purevax, so it's yearly. She doesn't get anything else. My vet doesn't push vaccines, and she knows I'm in the office pronto if anything is weird with one of my beasties.

So, basically, it depends. If I didn't live in an apartment, I don't know that I would continue vaccinating Lucy. I'd be in violation of the law, but I'm not overly concerned with poorly enforced laws that only (and infrequently) result in citations when it comes to my indoor-only cats.

mer636

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
eh when i'm bringing pepe in for his shots next thursday rabies is going to be given same time as his booster..hey why not even though he's indoors it couldn't hurt to give him one

sakura

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have my cats vaccinated for Rabies so I can have them licensed...but also because I sometimes take Matilda to the groomer and she requires it.

I didn't realize that over-vaccination was an issue until I was listening to one of the guest vets on the pet show on Sirius' Martha Stewart channel. It was really interesting. Not only are they over-vaccinated, but many receive them way too young.

happilyretired

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My recently deceased cat was almost 20 when she died, and although she was indoors only, she had annual vet visits including shots. When she was elderly, the vet dropped all but the rabies shot (she was an only cat), and when I asked about that, he said that even an indoor cat might get to a rabid mouse or bat, and it would be a terrible way for her to die. I agreed that the rabies shot was necessary to insure her protection. I don't think your vet was only worried about the staff being possibly bitten; a good vet will always put the animal's welfare first.