How Old Should A Male Kitten Be...

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Before it's safe to get him neutered?

The kittens are only a little over 3 months old now, but I caught Ricochet trying to mate with Chiquita earlier today.
I'm not sure if they were only playing, or if it was the 'real' thing. The last thing we need is more kittens!
But I don't want to take him in to get neutered till I'm sure it's safe..

~KK~

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A lot of vets have a "lower limit" of a certain weight. But your kitten is plenty old enough.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
8 weeks/2 pounds is the absolute youngest, and best time.
Your boy is plenty old enough

However, there are still many, many vets out there who will not neuter before 4-6 months.

sweetkara

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My Kirby got it done at the shelter at 11 weeks/about 2.5 lbs.

maxcat08

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Things must have changed...around here, it's 5 pounds and/or 6 months old.

My Samson will be neutered at 6 months of age, the earliest that my Vet, or the Spay/Neuter clinic will perform the surgery.

At his third kitty shot appt...he was already 5.5 pounds, but the Vet said 6 months old should be the earliest.

I can't imagine that at 3 months old, your kitty really knew what he was doing. Often my cats jump on each other...often from the back...but it's just playing..not 'the real thing'....eeks!!

But, whatever age, as long as it's done, and done safely!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Get him in now. In the US most breeders will have kittens altered about 3-4 months old prior to placing them. If he's showing signs of mating, get him neutered this week.

Male and female kittens are capable of breeding and getting pregnant as early as 4 months old. And a male is not "safe" for up to 2 months after being neutered - so keep him separated now till he's done and schedule any unspayed females to be spayed too.

sailahara

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Wow that is amazing 3mths and can breed. My vet said he doesnt perform until 6mths but we would talk more about it on next visit!

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sailahara

Wow that is amazing 3mths and can breed. My vet said he doesnt perform until 6mths but we would talk more about it on next visit!
females have been known to go into heat as early as 4 months...

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In the US, I believe most vets go by weight and many will neuter at 2lbs - so that can be really very young! In the UK there is generally an age limit of 5-6 months. I am in the UK so had to wait but I would gladly have had my cats neutered younger if I'd had the chance!

The worst story I ever heard was of a female Oriental Shorthair going into heat the same week she was adopted into her new home - at 14 weeks old. If she'd have gotten pregnant it could have killed her. Do it as early as possible

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My boys were done at 10 weeks, prior to coming home. Anytime from 8-12 weeks is pretty common over here, shelters do it at the younger age as they rehome kittens from 8 weeks.
Breeders usually do their kittens at 10-12 weeks.

Originally Posted by sailahara

Wow that is amazing 3mths and can breed
I know of a few breeders who've had boys become dads at 5 months, so they can breed at 3-4 months.

aswient

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I also heard cats should be spayed/neutered at 6 months. I had kittens that were born in my back yard. I kept them, so I took them to be spayed/neutered they were just shy of 6 months and when I went to pick them up after the surgery they told me that the female was pregnant. I don't wait for 6 months anymore.

jack31

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Jack's vet wouldn't do his neuter until Jack was 16 weeks. Which was sort of guess since he was a stray.

Leslie

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by aswient

I also heard cats should be spayed/neutered at 6 months. I had kittens that were born in my back yard. I kept them, so I took them to be spayed/neutered they were just shy of 6 months and when I went to pick them up after the surgery they told me that the female was pregnant. I don't wait for 6 months anymore.
Firefox went into heat @ 5.5 months...

didi86

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Male and female kittens are capable of breeding and getting pregnant as early as 4 months old. And a male is not "safe" for up to 2 months after being neutered - so keep him separated now till he's done and schedule any unspayed females to be spayed too.
What does that mean? "not safe"? Will a non-altered Male try to mate w/ an Altered female?? God I can't if thats the reason why my Coco dislikes my new boy so much, he'll be 4 months old this Friday I think I will take him in Friday to get Neutered, but what does it mean up to 2 months not safe? Does that mean he'll still have the same hormones as if he wasn't altered?? O_O yikes?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by DiDi86

What does that mean? "not safe"?

I think it means that a male can still get a female pregnant, even though he's been neutered - but I'm not sure..

I called my vet this afternoon, and he said that he doesn't like to perform the surgery much earlier than 5-6 months. I think I'll call the local vet who's semi-retired, and see if he'll do it sooner. We sure don't need (nor can we afford) any more cats!

Thanks for all your advice & input, y'all.

~KK~

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KittKatt

I think it means that a male can still get a female pregnant, even though he's been neutered - but I'm not sure..
Yes, that's what it means. It takes around 2 months after the operation until they can't get a female pregnant anymore.

It used to be thought that one month was enough, but it's been proven a few times that it more around 2.