Suffocation, my gift from my sweet kitten

fastnoc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wilbur has really changed since he was a little kitten (well he's still a kitten).

He started sucking his paws really young. But as he's grown up he can't get a good suction on his pads anymore so he tries it for about 10 minutes then gives up. He's decided a long time ago that the only way he can suck his paws is if he's in my arms. Now, since he can't really suck, he will come up to me and just plop (literally) down on my chest when i extend my arms. Couple times a day.

Now, I work strange hours (work at home) and sometimes I'll work through the night. so there's no real regular time for me. Wilbur has decided he does NOT like this. When I'm asleep in my bed, he decides it's suck-thirty and he wants attention. NOW. Sometimes he'll wake me up and I'll pet him, other times I'll pretend I'm still asleep to see how far he'll go, and it's incredibly funny what he does.

First, he'll just walk up and plop down next to my chest (i sleep on my side). He puts his front paws on my bicep and then tucks his head under my chin waiting for me to scratch his neck. If I do this, he immediately begins purring VERY loud. If I don't, he'll lift his head up and look to see what I'm doing, then try again.

Next he sees my hand on the bed, he'll go root it VERY hard. until he can get his head under there strong enough to lift it up. When that fails he decides to rub on me. he'll lean way over to the right and walk slowly up until he gets to my face. But he doesn't stop there. He goes all the way to the top of my head, usually pausing to eat some hair. Not gently either. he knows it can wake me up so he pulls on it......

When that doesn't work it's time to get a little dirty. He starts at my knees, and walks firmly all the way up my body. purposelly landing all 4 paws with full weight on my face. This isn't an exageration, and it hurts! he might be little but when he wants he can weigh a LOT.

If all of this fails he knows how to finally get me to wake up. He positions himself in front of my face, then flops over so his whole body covers my mouth and nose. This is how I usually wake up. Choking for air.

I had no idea a cat would go through that much trouble..... to be petted.

sheesh.

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by fastnoc

I had no idea a cat would go through that much trouble..... to be petted.sheesh.
Wilbur, won't you let your Mama sleep?

He loves you.

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Trent used to do this. I learned that I can actually snuggle and pet him in my sleep.
Mojo is a little more difficult. She wants to nuzzle, which is licking on my neck (when she was little she tried to suckle, which ended up with a stream of drool across my neck YUK!) and kneading very intensely. Which is OK when she's had her claws clipped, but when they get a little sharp - OW! Can't sleep through that!

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Those cats who like to be petted or snuggled can, indeed, be very insistent.

I think one way to discourage it a little is to let them get comfortable, maybe even asleep, then move. Do this often enough, and they'll start sleeping by your feet!

I know you weren't prepared for this when you saved these kittens!

sweetkara

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Both of my cats do this and I sometimes keep my bedroom door shut so I'll get a good night of sleep!

They like to walk around on my face while I'm sleeping. The other night I felt something touching my butt and my kitten was under the covers grabbing me!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fastnoc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by valanhb

Trent used to do this. I learned that I can actually snuggle and pet him in my sleep.
Mojo is a little more difficult. She wants to nuzzle, which is licking on my neck (when she was little she tried to suckle, which ended up with a stream of drool across my neck YUK!) and kneading very intensely. Which is OK when she's had her claws clipped, but when they get a little sharp - OW! Can't sleep through that!
Yeah neither of these two do the kneading anymore. Sometimes tinker does when she jumps onto the old blanket. It kind of bums me out though. They use to sleep ALWAYS on the couch next to me during the day, on that blanket. But they've moved off now and usually go snuggle up with each other under my bed. I made a nest out of a towel in there for them, but I sure liked it more when they slept on the couch. They've also stopped sleeping on the bed with me. I think it's too cold in the bedroom. Whatever the case, I miss that too.

Originally Posted by mrblanche

Those cats who like to be petted or snuggled can, indeed, be very insistent.

I think one way to discourage it a little is to let them get comfortable, maybe even asleep, then move. Do this often enough, and they'll start sleeping by your feet!

I know you weren't prepared for this when you saved these kittens!
Although I wasn't prepared for that part, it's ok. I'm whining about this, but it's all in jest. I wouldn't give these two cats up for anything.

Originally Posted by SweetKara

Both of my cats do this and I sometimes keep my bedroom door shut so I'll get a good night of sleep!

They like to walk around on my face while I'm sleeping. The other night I felt something touching my butt and my kitten was under the covers grabbing me!
lol. I've been thinking about closing the bedroom door, but I don't want to block them out. It's funny, I don't close the bathroom door usually since I live alone. My main bathroom has two doors, one to the main area and one to the secondary bedroom. If I close those doors for any reason, I ALWAYS open them to a cat by each door

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fastnoc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Man, I keep thinking about mounting my video camera in my bedroom. Then either sleeping with the lights on or using the night vision option. Either way, I want to record this. I know a lot of cats are grubbers who will come ask for attention but the ferocity this little runt has just amazes me. What he does works though. No matter how irritated I get when he does it, I can't help but love him to death.

babywukong

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your kitty LOVES you to death *literally* Guess that's better than if they don't even want you within 5 feet of them
I can imagine what a pain he must be if you really really want to sleep though ... lets hope he outgrows it without becoming less affectionate. Would love to see a vid of that, definitely