radial nerve damage

evygee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This past Monday morning on my way to work I noticed that an animal had been hit and was lying in the road. Major four lane, 65 miles per hour, and I always do a sad sigh when I see a dead pet. Except as several cars straddled this one I saw her lift her head. A kitty, about 12 weeks old. I immediately stopped and scooped her up and headed for the nearest veterinary office. Several hundred dollars later, broken jaw wired in three places, no lower teeth, cuts, bruises and unfortunately damage to her front left leg, vet says radial nerve damage. The vet wants to remove the leg. I have her home, she is sooooo adorable and does not appear to be in pain. She does meow when we rub her leg. I am going to give her some time to heal before we decide to remove the leg. What is the best thing I can do for her. Do I bandage the leg to give it some support? I purchased a baby playpen to keep her somewhat immoble and safe in the house. Do I keep her as still as possible (in her playpen) or should we exercise the leg? Please Help.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
glad you saved her!
what did the vet say? is the leg painful [per him] & would exercising it be helpful or harmful?
most cats do quite well w/only 3 legs. check out Trace Tumblebrutus!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

evygee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The vet really didn't say if she was in pain or not, and I'm afraid I failed to ask. He really just thought we should remove the leg. But if there is a ghost of a chance that it can be saved...

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by evygee

The vet really didn't say if she was in pain or not, and I'm afraid I failed to ask. He really just thought we should remove the leg. But if there is a ghost of a chance that it can be saved...
call him & ask what therapies would be best for her - heat, exercise, immobilization, etc.

j_f_a

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
OH MY GOD! *hugs you* What a lucky kitty that you saw her! I don't know what you should do unfortunatly. I just had to say well done for helping her out. Not many others would.

abbycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bless you for saving the poor little kitten!

Sending healing vibes to the special little kitty