Lily is TOO thorough in her cleaning of the kittens

skewch

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Lily has been gnawing the kittens faces, like she's trying to clean lumps off their faces....no, they're not lumps tho they're whiskers!!! She has gnawed off most of the whiskers on them....the only other thing I can think of is that they're part Devon Rex and they may have inhereted the gene that makes their whiskers brittle and they break off....but I have witnessed her gnawing the whisker pads. She isn't hurting them either, as they don't cry one bit when she's doing this.

Has anyone ever seen this happen? I know this is a first for me.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There are old wives' tales of mother cats gnawing off the kitten's whiskers to keep them from wandering away. However, the whole story doesn't make that much sense, so I suspect it's all fiction.

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by skewch

Lily has been gnawing the kittens faces, like she's trying to clean lumps off their faces....no, they're not lumps tho they're whiskers!!! She has gnawed off most of the whiskers on them....the only other thing I can think of is that they're part Devon Rex and they may have inhereted the gene that makes their whiskers brittle and they break off....but I have witnessed her gnawing the whisker pads. She isn't hurting them either, as they don't cry one bit when she's doing this.

Has anyone ever seen this happen? I know this is a first for me.
Ms. Bu did that to the happy litter or was it Reecie to Suria and Bu? I can't remember but not to worry, the whiskers will grow back sooner rather than later! My Reecie loves to over groom her babies but so far, nothing untoward has happened because of it.

abbycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat Bast came to me as a kitten with her little whiskers gnawed off. Her Mommy cat did this to all her babies.
What was interesting was when Bast was an adult I rescued a little baby kitten and Bast did the same thing to him! Maybe there is something to the old wives tale.

pee-cleaner

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The first cat I adopted 18 years ago was a young kitten with gnawed off whiskers! I always wondered what had happened to them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

skewch

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have to wonder if they old wives tale could be true. It does seem odd that a mom would do that unless they were trying to make sure they didn't run off someplace.

Thanks for all of your input....sure helps me to know Lily isn't the only one that is and has done it.