After almost a year I'm afraid it is cancer.

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well somewhere in all of Jordan's vet visits over the last year I remember the vet saying that part of lymphoma or cancer (I can't remember which) There are often changes to the back of a cats eyes. I noticed last week but couldn't get a good look until this Past weekend. Jordan does in fact have a spot at the back of his eye. It is hard to explain, it's a perfectly round spot in the pupil area that is only obvious when the light catches it just right. It reflects the light differntly than the rest of his pupil. I checked the other eye just to make sure it wasn't a normal part of they eye I have never noticed before. To say I'm devistated would be an understatement. I'm trying desperatly to hold it together, but this has been my worst fear for just over a year now. He is still doing very well, eating like a champ (9oz) of wet food yesterday, he was playing yesterday, he's still cuddling with me. Since I decided that I would not do chemo I have not taken him to the vet. I can't bear to hear what he will say. I know it is not the right answer, but I am just comming to terms with this and need a little time before I hear him confirm the worst. Thanks to everyone who has sent him good vibes, please keep them comming, and maybe I'll have some more good months with him.

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am so sorry Angie.

Loving vibes are on the way to both you and your beloved Jordon.

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh no!!!
I think no matter how much you try and prepare yourself it won't make it any easier, but i suppose it's just getting it to sink in

I really hope your wrong, but sending Jordan and yourself lots of mega because you've both certainly been through it, but know that we'll be with you all the way

maxcat08

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry too. Do go have it checked though...it could be something else. You never know....
My beautiful Wayne developed Lymphoma in his kidneys (it settled in his kidneys..so the Vet said)....he didn't suffer, the Vet assured me of that. He simply weakened as the cancer used his muscles for energy. He was still cuddly, even more so, he was interested in eating too. He never complained or showed discomfort.

He passed away quietly in his sleep one night right beside me. He was only 8 1/2 yrs old.....it was devastating as well. We can't change what is happening..but do go get Jordan checked. It's worse not knowing...believe me.

Sending hugs for all of you....

aswient

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Many Prayers for him and you and that you will have him for a long time to come.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MAXCAT08

I'm so sorry too. Do go have it checked though...it could be something else. You never know....
My beautiful Wayne developed Lymphoma in his kidneys (it settled in his kidneys..so the Vet said)....he didn't suffer, the Vet assured me of that. He simply weakened as the cancer used his muscles for energy. He was still cuddly, even more so, he was interested in eating too. He never complained or showed discomfort.

He passed away quietly in his sleep one night right beside me. He was only 8 1/2 yrs old.....it was devastating as well. We can't change what is happening..but do go get Jordan checked. It's worse not knowing...believe me.

Sending hugs for all of you....
Thank you so much for sharing that he passed quiety & in his sleep. That is what I want for Jordan. I do plan on having him checked, I just need to get myself strong enough to hear the worst.

maxcat08

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rang_27

Thank you so much for sharing that he passed quiety & in his sleep. That is what I want for Jordan. I do plan on having him checked, I just need to get myself strong enough to hear the worst.
You have the strength...it will be hard...I hope the news isn't as grim as you think.
For Wayne, it was a total shock, no warning, no symptoms except that he has lost some weight...so the diagnosis was simply NO WAY!!! But at least by knowing, we were able to prepare and enjoy him far more than we would have by not knowing.
Sometimes, it seemed like he was comforting us...like he was saying...he was okay...for us not to be so sad...he was a wonderful and beautiful fellow.
Sure do still miss him....

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know how you feel. Last Dec 4th I found Stormy almost dead and she seemed ok earlier in the day. We rushed to the Vet and i dreaded the call so y=told my Husband to take it. They said her Kidneys were gone and it was Kidney Cancer. She would throw up sometimes and drool once in a while but that was it. They said she woul not last the night and asked what I wanted to do. I said give her one more day. Then she had to be pts on Dec 5th. My Yoshi I knew was dying. Like you I was scared to here he was at the end. He was down to 5.2 pounds forom almost 15 pounds when he was pts. if you need to someone to talk to just Pm. I knew my Stripe was dyingfrom Crf a year before she died and we did everything but she had to be pts at th end. I really think she should get him checked even know its hard. Yoshi was checked about 3 weeks before he was pts and he was 7.5 pounds. You are doing the best you can with your Cat.

cc12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry. Give yourself a day at least to prepare. I know it is hard. Believe me when I say I know. Gather your strength when you can and get him checked.
I am very sorry you have to experience this.

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Fingers crossed it isn't as bad as you think. I hear so many people wanting their cat to go peacefully in their sleep, but it is very hard to deal with - I have lost cats both expectedly and unexpectedly, and i find it easier to make that decision, it is much better to be able to say your goodbyes and hold them, knowing they have gone peacefully and with someone who loves them than to find them suddenly gone, and not be there to say bye or hold them.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by booktigger

Fingers crossed it isn't as bad as you think. I hear so many people wanting their cat to go peacefully in their sleep, but it is very hard to deal with - I have lost cats both expectedly and unexpectedly, and i find it easier to make that decision, it is much better to be able to say your goodbyes and hold them, knowing they have gone peacefully and with someone who loves them than to find them suddenly gone, and not be there to say bye or hold them.
i know i'd've preferred being with Mouse at the end, myself.
& for Jordan...
for you.

maxcat08

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Everyone is different...I've been with my cat when I had her pts, I was laying beside Wayne when he died in his sleep, and Max died when I was away on vacation.......it all came down to the fact that I'd lost my cats...the grief and pain were the same.

However a pet goes to the Rainbow Bridge.....he or she hopefully goes peacefully and with love.
What I learned, a long time ago, is to love them everyday even when totally healthy..and never take them for granted.
When a pet has been diagnosed with a fatal disease..at least it gives the loving 'parent' a chance to love the pet and say the goodbyes before it happens....it would be the same when a appt has been made to put the pet to sleep.
The sudden passings bring alot of guilt sometimes...and the feeling that one didn't do enough..that is normal. Once the shock wears off, just knowing that one loved, petted and hugged the pet and told it how much you loved it.....the realization comes that you did lots for your friend and it's okay to miss him or her.....cause we'll certainly never forget them!

No death is easy or better one way or another. It just comes down to our preferences.

greycat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Everyone is different...I've been with my cat when I had her pts, I was laying beside Wayne when he died in his sleep, and Max died when I was away on vacation.......it all came down to the fact that I'd lost my cats...the grief and pain were the same.

However a pet goes to the Rainbow Bridge.....he or she hopefully goes peacefully and with love.
What I learned, a long time ago, is to love them everyday even when totally healthy..and never take them for granted.
When a pet has been diagnosed with a fatal disease..at least it gives the loving 'parent' a chance to love the pet and say the goodbyes before it happens....it would be the same when a appt has been made to put the pet to sleep.
The sudden passings bring alot of guilt sometimes...and the feeling that one didn't do enough..that is normal. Once the shock wears off, just knowing that one loved, petted and hugged the pet and told it how much you loved it.....the realization comes that you did lots for your friend and it's okay to miss him or her.....cause we'll certainly never forget them!

No death is easy or better one way or another. It just comes down to our preferences.

Many and hugs to both you and Jordan. PM me if you want to talk. I hope you both have many more days together.

I lost my RB cat Sphinx to Liver Cancer 4 years ago this month (he was pts).

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

i found the opposite, the grief was a lot worse with the cat that was unexpected, and it took me the longest to get over - mind you, he was a very special cat though. I prefer to be able to prepare myself, but everyone is different.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise

i found the opposite, the grief was a lot worse with the cat that was unexpected, and it took me the longest to get over - mind you, he was a very special cat though. I prefer to be able to prepare myself, but everyone is different.
i've lost 2 in my life, at this point... i really think the 1st was easier, looking back - altho i certainly didn't feel that way at the time. but she'd been sick for over a month, wasting away... unlike Mouse, who had seemed to be improving - & then was gone

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I guess I've known in the back of my head that it is a posibility that he was very sick. Even if he isn't he has been on 5 mg of pred every day for almost a year, I know that is not good for him. I am thankful for the last year. When this all started, I had a lot of guilt about how often I was mad at him. Jordan used to be a very crazy/ naughty cat. He has calmed down a lot, and I have learned to laugh when he is naughty. I used to get mad and threaten to send him away (although I never would have), so when he first got sick I felt horrible for not appreciating him for who he is. Now I never take a moment for granted. I was about 10 mins late to work this morning because he wanted to cuddle & sleep next to me in bed. I can't imagine waking up without him next to my head purring away. It is true I don't know for sure what is going on, but his vet has said all along this could be cancer. On a good note he at (3) 3 oz cans of wet food yesterday and would probably have eaten more (I just worry he will throw everything back up if I feed him too much). This morning he found a ball hiding behind a curtain & pounced on it like a little kitten. So I know he's happy and not in pain right now. It's great to have these days of him feeling this good.

I also want to thank everyone for your support. It's so wonderful to find a place of such love and support.

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rang_27

I used to get mad and threaten to send him away (although I never would have), so when he first got sick I felt horrible for not appreciating him for who he is.
It takes something like this to happen to make us realise just how precious they are