Abandoned Kitten Found

sailahara

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi there I dont know anything at all about kittens except what I am finding out now on web. However I found a kitten on a walk through woods, it was just meowing away and no momma anywhere. I promise I looked (I'm more of a dog person). However, I couldnt leave it with it crying. It is grey with white paws if that matters, Cute for a cat! Here is problem, I dont have a car right now and my husband wont be home for few days. I have a can of Mackerell in cabinet and puppy food and milk will this do until wednesday till he gets in. Also i dont have litter box what can i do for that. I am at a loss but it is just so sweet I couldnt just leave it to die. Thanks for all Help!!!!

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You can try the food you have; if it's really young, it may too young to eat on its own, in which case you have a real problem. You can check some of the threads here, and you'll see taking care of a really young kitten is a real labor. A labor of love, but still quite an undertaking!

For a litter box, if it's old enough to use one, you can use a low-sided box or cake pan.

Maybe a friend or neighbor could help you out?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sailahara

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for help but i live in secluded area, in the country so no neighbors! Also other than my dogs not really any friends
But I do have big heart and want to help kitten. What should i put in the pan for litter for next few days?

trillcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First, thanks for taking in the little one, you did a very good thing!
Don't give the kitten cows milk, it is not good for them. It should be OK with the food you have for a couple days.
For litter, if you have nothing else you can use dirt, if it is a feral (wild, as opposed to a pet that got loose) it will be used to going in the dirt anyway. Its not going to do anything to cover the smell, but better that going on your carpeting.
Being rural, do you have any local vets that visit the farms that you can call if need be? They may be doing a stop near you and could stop by with some supplies till your husband gets back.

mom of 4

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Congrats on the new addition.
With no idea how old it is, make sure it doesn't get too cold or too hot.
Provide fresh water.
Goat's milk or KMR (kitten milk replacement) with a bottle if he/she won't drink out of a bowl.
Canned kitten food, ASAP if he/she is eating. There is an essential ingredient in cat food that cats must have to develop properly that isn't in dog food.
An aluminum baking pan or a cardboard box, low sides, with either dirt or strips of newspaper will work as a litter pan in a pinch. The cardboard box will have to be replaced sooner.
Absolutely no flea collar on any pets, especially kittens and puppies, as they can kill them. Same for over-the-counter flea treatments - the money you save initially will be spent at the vet trying to save your pet.
A vet visit, as soon as you can arrange it, will let you know the age of the kitten and its health status. The vet will treat for worms if old enough and test for a few diseases when old enough.

sailahara

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks to everyone who has helped. Just got ahold of vet and he said that Mackerel and puppy food would work for 2 days just to mix them in little amounts and bring it in first thing Wed morn. when my hubby gets in. I was scared because I didnt want to make it sick, but I didnt want it to die either. I just fed him (i think) and he has now stoped meowing and is sleeping. Once again Thanks, also I can always use more suggestions on play toys for it to use until i go to store!!!!

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Bless your heart for taking this baby home
As for toys, do you have any string?. Make sure you don't leave the kitten alone with it though incase he swallows it because their like babies, into everything
Bottle caps are ok for a make shift ball to bat about, but being young he may not know what playing is all about yet as that usually comes later.

Make sure you keep us updated on your new addition

maxcat08

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
What a lucky kitty to have been found by you!!

Kitties are so easy to satisfy with toys....like others said...string, bottle caps..even small balled up newspaper, or crinkly paper...really, anything that makes a noise will get their attention. If it moves, they can bat it around. You can even run your hand under a towel and pretend it's a mouse....he'll love playing that game.

Sounds like he was hungry. He's in good hands now...

Keep us updated...

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If he ate solid food, he should be at least 4 weeks old or so.

Sand, dirt, even shredded paper (like you'd get out of a paper shredder) will work as litter.

It would be smart and safest to keep the kitten restricted to a small room, like a laundry room or bathroom. Put his food and litter box and a nest in there for him. At that age, they can get lost even in a big room, not to mention a whole house. Also, cats like routine, and that will help him learn where his food and litter box are.

sailahara

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am so happy that you all were so helpful. I did manage to get my mother in law to come and get me. She hates all of my little rescue critters that I manage to come up with but I guess she has a heart for kittens LOL I have gone and got some Purina Kitten Chow. And some Fancy Feast canned food. He has eaten now and drank water and also got a new kitty litter box. Yay he apparently knows what it is for because about 10 min after eating he used it. He is staying in my bathroom off of the side of my bedroom away from the German Shepherds right now. He will have to adapt to them. Vet said looks pretty healthy just scared and dehydrated alittle. He wormed him and gave shot said that he was about 7-8 weeks. I am going to walk to the other side of the hill tomorrow to see if there are anyothers. I am just kinda tired now after all the excitement!. Once again thanks for all the help. Oh the vet said definitly a boy!!!!!

cc12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awww you saved a life. What a good job you are doing. You have all the goods so kitten should be happy now. Do you have a name picked out yet? There are a lot of cats who simply love dog company.

trillcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh thats good news! Glad your Mom in law helped you out!
So are you planning to keep the little guy? Got a name picked out yet? How are your shepards with other animals? Have they ever met a cat? Sorry for all the questios, lol.
To get them use to his scent, rub a towel all over kitty cat, and let the dogs check it out. Do the same with their scent for the kitty.
Oh, we Looooove pictures here! (hint)

baloneysmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Congrats on your new baby! If your keeping him

Or

Thank you for saving a life! If your saving him to find a good home.

Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]m sure your new little guy is so happy you came across him. I canâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t wait for pics as well!

aswient

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Congrats on your new kittie. If you watch him for a while he could name himself. Some of mine did that, they just had this little thing that was unique to them and there you go, you have a name. Good luck, would love to see pictures.

sakura

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aww

Kittens are easy to entertain. They like crumpled pieces of paper, q-tips, string (make sure not to leave the string with them because they could try to eat it). Don't let it play with your hands because you want to teach him that hands are not for playing with or biting.

Some articles on introducing cats and dogs:
http://www.cuhumane.org/topics/catdog.html
http://www.uvhs.org/behavioral_docs/...oductions_.pdf
http://www.iluvcats.com/propdogin.html

Are you keeping him? If not, I would start looking for a new home for him while he is a kitten because it will be easier now than when he is older.

sailahara

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think that my daughter and I have decided to call him Shadow. He likes to hide under the bed in the shadow, and then pounce out when we walk by. I have managed to "baby" proof the house, according to what the vets guidelines on what is safe and what is not. He seems to like us so far he gets his little motor running when he is on our lap. (I think that means he likes us). After talking to my husband at lunch time we have decided to keep him, but he has to be neutered as soon as possible but the vet said we would talk about that in 3 weeks when we go back for another visit. I will be taking pics as soon as hubby comes home from work he has camera with him. LOL since i have recieved so many *hints* LoL thanks again. I have learned soooo much today with my research so far. There is alot to cats that it seems I'm about to learn.

trillcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
YAY! Your keeping the the kitty, now know as Shadow.

Oh, and don't forget the doggies when posting pics, we are equal opprotunity animal lovers here!

maxcat08

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm so happy for both of you....Shadow and his new family!! Yes, when his motor is running..that sure does mean that he is happy and contented...nothing like a warm lap to get that motor running, too!!

Good for you for going back to see if there are any more kittens...he must have come from somewhere.

Have fun with him..

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ah, 7-8 weeks should make your life much easier. The fact that he came to you at that age means someone probably dumped him; that's about when that happens, usually. A kitten that age that has not been handled would never settle in your lap. I know; I could get you videos of kittens that were feral, and you'd be lucky to see them, let alone catch them.

If you're not a cat person, keeping one for the first time can be very puzzling. The words, "Why on earth did he do that?" will pass your lips very often. There's a reason for everything a cat does, but that doesn't mean we know why.

Just for example, the purring thing. Lots of newborn kittens purr while they nurse. Their mother usually purrs while they're nursing, too. This is thought to be a "self-comforting" activity. But seriously injured or even dying cats often purr, also. I've seen it, and it doesn't seem to make sense.

If you talk to the kitten, don't be surprised if he starts to talk back. Some cats are very conversational. And the size of the meow often has no relationship to the size of the cat. I saw a tiny one at the shelter that had a voice like a foghorn; our Punkin, who is pretty-good-sized, has just a little squeak.

Please feel free to ask any questions.

Oh, and do be sure to watch the health of your kitten. Cats are the consummate predator, and they know that showing weakness will lead to death. For that reason, they often don't show that they're even sick until they are very sick. At the age of the kitten you have, an upper respiratory infection (the dreaded "URI" you see mentioned here so often) is the most common illness, and it can be fatal.

Oh, and someone mentioned that cat food has an essential ingredient that dog food doesn't. That ingredient is taurine. Without it, your kitten eventually won't develop properly. It is also an ingredient in mice, by the way!