A 4 Month Old Kitten What Kind Of Shots?

luvmyfurbabys

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My little boy has fallen in love with a 4 month old kitten.... We usually adopt older 3 years and up cats. When going to the vet what can I expect in terms of tests and required shots?

maxcat08

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Do you have any idea if the kitty has had any shots at all. Usually they are finished by 4 months. Don't get Rabies quite yet...it shouldn't be given till after 6 months of age.

The Vet may want the kitty to be tested for FeLV, FIP (I think)....they'll look for mites and fleas...and may want to do bloodwork, especially if you don't know his/her history.

If the kitty hasn't had any shots at all....I'm not sure what they'll do. He certainly needs some.

Maybe others can give you some hints.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

luvmyfurbabys

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MAXCAT08

Do you have any idea if the kitty has had any shots at all. Usually they are finished by 4 months. Don't get Rabies quite yet...it shouldn't be given till after 6 months of age.

The Vet may want the kitty to be tested for FeLV, FIP (I think)....they'll look for mites and fleas...and may want to do bloodwork, especially if you don't know his/her history.

If the kitty hasn't had any shots at all....I'm not sure what they'll do. He certainly needs some.

Maybe others can give you some hints.
From my understanding this person is the sort that keeps having kittens , doesnt get them shots , keeps a few and repeats the cycle. So I dont think the kitten has ever had even a vet visit.

maxcat08

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by luvmyfurbabys

From my understanding this person is the sort that keeps having kittens , doesnt get them shots , keeps a few and repeats the cycle. So I dont think the kitten has ever had even a vet visit.
Well...at least you know where you stand. I would think a Vet could better advise you as to what to do. The kitty should be vaccinated against the regular cat viruses and hopefully it's not too late. Some vaccinations don't work after a certain age.

What do you do with your current cats? If they are all vaccinated, then at least the kitty will be safe from some diseases. Then you have to think of the cleanliness of the home where the kitty was born. It could have picked something up there.

It's sad that the kitty's owners are not responsible....I hope your kitty is healthy despite the lack of 'baby' care.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise

since you have other cats, i'd get these: panleukopenia [feline distemper], rabies & FeLV [leukemia].
also, he's probably old enough to be neutered, as well!

cloud_shade

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

The Vet may want the kitty to be tested for FeLV, FIP (I think)....
I think you mean FIV--the tests for FIP are not conclusive.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

luvmyfurbabys

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

Well...at least you know where you stand. I would think a Vet could better advise you as to what to do. The kitty should be vaccinated against the regular cat viruses and hopefully it's not too late. Some vaccinations don't work after a certain age.

What do you do with your current cats? If they are all vaccinated, then at least the kitty will be safe from some diseases. Then you have to think of the cleanliness of the home where the kitty was born. It could have picked something up there.

It's sad that the kitty's owners are not responsible....I hope your kitty is healthy despite the lack of 'baby' care.
all of my cats are up to date on shots , spay and eat quality food. My dog is neutered , up to date on his shots and eats quality food. All have tags with their names addresses and phone number .

We are flea and heart worm free along with any tick illness free. The cats are indoor only.... but do enjoy our closed in sun porch ( I think , they think , they are outside lol )

the dog has a fenced in yard to play in.... we don't really walk him because hes 11, blind , has hip issues and does not enjoy walks but we do play with him in the yard.

We haven't decided on the kitten I was just look for what we might expect.

maxcat08

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

all of my cats are up to date on shots , spay and eat quality food. My dog is neutered , up to date on his shots and eats quality food. All have tags with their names addresses and phone number .

We are flea and heart worm free along with any tick illness free. The cats are indoor only.... but do enjoy our closed in sun porch ( I think , they think , they are outside lol )

the dog has a fenced in yard to play in.... we don't really walk him because hes 11, blind , has hip issues and does not enjoy walks but we do play with him in the yard.

We haven't decided on the kitten I was just look for what we might expect.
It sure sounds like you have a wonderful home for animals.....and that you are very responsible pet owners.

I have an unfinished back room, that my cats think is the great outdoors. When I say...do you want to go outside?.....that's where the door leads......they're happy....
....and safe!!

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just tell the vet that this kitten is zero risk (indoor only) and to give only the core vaccines + rabies, and probably deworm.

Definitely test for FeLV and FIV, but vaccination against those is really not needed with a zero risk cat.

sakura

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It will need de-worming probably, a combo test (Feluk/FIV), and then the vaccines I don't completely remember. My kitten had some when she was really little and at her foster mom's, and then she had more in November when I adopted her and then boosters in January when I had her spayed. So they won't be done all at once.

Even though Chloe was from a foster group, she was an expensive little thing
It's so nice to adopt older cats that are already spayed/neutered and only need yearly booster shots. Then again, having a kitten is the best. Is there any chance you could adopt 2 of the kittens? They do so much better in pairs at that age and then the kitten won't drive your other cats nuts trying to play all the time.