Have You Ever Wondered....

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Where your deleted e-mails go? The e-mails that you
send or delete go into the deleted e-mail folder after you delete them,
but after you delete the deleted ones, where do they go??

When a singer sings who has an accent, how come
you usually don't hear their accent when they're singing?
For
example: American Idol's Carly Smithson has an Irish accent, but you
don't hear it when she's singing.

It is said that the universe never ends, which is
mind-boggling to me.
But if it did end, it would be logical
to assume that there would HAVE to be something after that.

I obviously have waaaay too much time on my hands..

Do you ever wonder about things like this?

~KK~

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
1) Your emails are stored on a server - in other words a hard drive. Space being what it is, is always limited to some extent so once something is deleted that information is eventually overwritten by something else. Over and over again... until the hardware breaks.
Digital, unlike physical isn't tangible so it never really "existed" in the first place, just a bunch of 0's and 1's.

2) It depends on the person and the country they're from. I hear accents all the time in the music I listen to, especially Finnish accents - it's hard to miss them.
It also depends on the amount of training the person has to "lose" their accent.

3) There's an edge to the Universe - to the matter in it, but it is expanding and will keep doing so. Pick your choice of theories on what will happen once it's expanded too far.

And sure I think of random things - but more mundane things and harder to find answers for such as "Why does no one carry their drivers license and get mad when you ask for it?" "Where do socks disappear to?" Or for various reason "Why me" (whenever something goes wrong).

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Originally Posted by KittKatt

Where your deleted e-mails go? The e-mails that you
send or delete go into the deleted e-mail folder after you delete them,
but after you delete the deleted ones, where do they go??
Actually, they never really go away. They are orphaned from the indexes, but exist in little bits all over your machine, not to mention they are in servers, backups of servers, and hiding in unknown parts of the internet (which by the way, I heard have black holes also).

When a singer sings who has an accent, how come
you usually don't hear their accent when they're singing?
For
example: American Idol's Carly Smithson has an Irish accent, but you
don't hear it when she's singing.
Ever wonder why we have accents?

It is said that the universe never ends, which is
mind-boggling to me.
But if it did end, it would be logical
to assume that there would HAVE to be something after that.
Brain hurts too much

algebrapro18

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
As a Christian I struggle with the idea of an eternal heaven. Or as I like to term it "the finality of death." When I die, I believe I will go to heaven and thats where I will stay forever. That forever there really really bugs me and I don't know what. Just think about it, when all life on earth ceases to exist, I will still be in heaven. When the sun explodes and swallows up most of, if not all of, the planets in this solar system, I will still be in Heaven. When life moves to a different solar system(if this ever happens) again still there. I mean to think of a time frame that doesn't end...makes my head hurt. Maybe because while were alive the enviornment around us is ever changing and we are ever changing but when we die thats it, no more change. Has anyone else ever thought about this?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by katachtig

Ever wonder why we have accents?
Yep - I sure do!

Brain hurts too much
So does mine, when I think about things like this.

You guys are obviously much smarter than I am!

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
But if there's an edge to the Universe, and it's expanding... what's it expanding INTO?

I remember when I was about ten years old and I thought that concept through for the first time. I was just idly contemplating the structure of things, solar systems and galaxies and so forth, and my mind wandered on out to the edge of the expanding Universe and WOAH! All thought skidded to a halt as I peered out into that void and pondered the implications. I swear, it actually made me dizzy!

Oh, how I wish I hadn't let anybody talk me out of pursuing astronomy. I would've loved it so!

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
i have one for you [thought of this as a kid
]: when you're in stopped traffic [due to wreck, lane closure, whatever] on the freeway - ddi you ever realize that somewhere, WAAAAAAY up ahead of you, someone is going 70MPH? [or faster, for that matter!]

goonie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by algebrapro18

As a Christian I struggle with the idea of an eternal heaven. Or as I like to term it "the finality of death." When I die, I believe I will go to heaven and thats where I will stay forever. That forever there really really bugs me and I don't know what. Just think about it, when all life on earth ceases to exist, I will still be in heaven. When the sun explodes and swallows up most of, if not all of, the planets in this solar system, I will still be in Heaven. When life moves to a different solar system(if this ever happens) again still there. I mean to think of a time frame that doesn't end...makes my head hurt. Maybe because while were alive the enviornment around us is ever changing and we are ever changing but when we die thats it, no more change. Has anyone else ever thought about this?
yes, i've thought about this a lot. "for all eternity...." does it really mean eaxactly that???????????

kiwideus

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Why did I open this thread before bedtime?

One thing I always wonder - whenever there is a bad traffic jam - think Atlanta at peak hour - what the heck are the people at the start of the jam doing????

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kiwideus

One thing I always wonder - whenever there is a bad traffic jam - think Atlanta at peak hour - what the heck are the people at the start of the jam doing????
Or why does traffic still slow down at a spot where a traffic accident was cleared up 2 hours before?

trillcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So you are all looking for the answers to life, the universe, and everything? Easy, the answer is 42!

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kiwideus

like i said - they're going 70! boggles my mind...

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ConsumerKitty

Here'a another mystery to ponder:

Valet keys? There's a latch near the driver's seat that pops open the trunk, so what's the use for valet keys?
maybe so you don't have to give them your regular keys to have the car parked?

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ConsumerKitty

But the main purpose of valet keys is to prevent the valet from accessing valuables in the trunk, isn't it?
never heard of them before, myself.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

But if there's an edge to the Universe, and it's expanding... what's it expanding INTO?

I remember when I was about ten years old and I thought that concept through for the first time. I was just idly contemplating the structure of things, solar systems and galaxies and so forth, and my mind wandered on out to the edge of the expanding Universe and WOAH! All thought skidded to a halt as I peered out into that void and pondered the implications. I swear, it actually made me dizzy!

Oh, how I wish I hadn't let anybody talk me out of pursuing astronomy. I would've loved it so!
I hear ya, Carol. Whenever I get to thinking about this too intensely, it kinda freaks me out.
So I make myself stop..

I've always loved astronomy too. It fascinates me!
So does meteorology..

I thought of another: when you get a headache or any other kind of pain and you take a specific pain killer (such as an Excedrin for a headache), how does the pain killer work for the specific part of the body??