We Finally Got a Camera!!

belongstoevie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
And WWOOO, what a camera it is. This is what happens when I let my material-man husband buy a new toy. I wanted a small, pocket sized, but nice digital camera. Figured it'd cost maybe up to $300. Guess what he bought.

A Canon Rebel XSI. http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/co...&modelid=16303

Since I know a lot of you here are really awesome at photography, anyone know if this is as good of a camera as it seems like to me? I told him I don't even want to know how much it cost!

So we started playing with it, I tell ya, I am scared of it! It's way more camera than I know what to do with...

I wanted a nice camera for when we have a baby (hopefully soon!), but I wanted to rush it, because I wanted some good pictures of the X-Pack before they leave! So guess what I'll be doing next. In fact, as I type, all the new pics are uploading.

Anyone have any experience with this type of camera that has an easy hint or secret or favorite tip they wanna share?

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Consumer Reports has it as one of its top rated. And I'm sure it has a point and shoot mode so you can start taking pictures right away.

russian blue

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's the new version of my camera (I have the XTi). It's a top rated entry level SLR. Yes, it can scare you when you first get it into your hands, especially if you're used to small cameras!

Go through the manual so you understand where to access the basic settings/options. If you need further help, there are many Canon forums online you can Google. There's also Canon books you can look up as well.

The flash can be overbearing, so I never use it. Try to use natural light or as much indoor light as possible. You can increase the ISO setting, but the higher the ISO the more noise you will have.

Just try experimenting and have fun!
I just purchased my 3rd lens for this camera, so I'm addicted.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

belongstoevie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks guys! I'm excited. I've already drowned the forums with my nice new piccies!

Originally Posted by MonaxLisa

Wow, nice! I have a Canon, its definitely a good brand!
I'm really glad to hear you like yours! I know we read lots of reports and reviews and such, but it always means more to me coming from a real person!

Originally Posted by katachtig

Consumer Reports has it as one of its top rated. And I'm sure it has a point and shoot mode so you can start taking pictures right away.
Oh yes, I figured out quickly how to set it to "auto" and instantly start taking pics! It's just the rest of it that I wonder if I'll ever use...

Originally Posted by Russian Blue

That's the new version of my camera (I have the XTi). It's a top rated entry level SLR. Yes, it can scare you when you first get it into your hands, especially if you're used to small cameras!

Go through the manual so you understand where to access the basic settings/options. If you need further help, there are many Canon forums online you can Google. There's also Canon books you can look up as well.

The flash can be overbearing, so I never use it. Try to use natural light or as much indoor light as possible. You can increase the ISO setting, but the higher the ISO the more noise you will have.

Just try experimenting and have fun!
I just purchased my 3rd lens for this camera, so I'm addicted.
Oh cool! Nice to hear that you have a similar camera. And very nice to hear it's "entry level"!
I've already gone through all the manuals (though I think some were ads for other parts, like a macro lense, I still read it all!
), and if I need, I'll definitely google some websites, thanks for the idea!

So far I have used the flash, but I'll definitely try to take your advice (when I figure out how to do such things as increase the light in a room so the flash doesn't go off!). That's exactly the type of tip I was hoping for, so thank you! It says I can't increase the ISO in an auto-set mode, so I'll have to try that when I'm brave enough to venture in to what they call the "creative modes".

Like I said, I've read through all the pamphlets that talk about other lenses, so I'll probably have other lenses on my gift-list for a while!

jaffacake

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Very nice camera!

I`m still trying to figure mine out after nearly 2 years
I hope you`re more technically minded
But saying that I still use idiot mode and the pictures don`t come out too bad, it just seems a waste to have a nice camera and not know how to use it properly.
Maybe there are classes somewhere near you? I think that`s what I need. Someone to show me.

Good luck and have fun with it!

duchess15

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have the Canon 40D and I love it. I have had no prior experience with such a camera, but being in Europe it allowed me to really experiment. I love it and Canon is a really great brand.

I bought my cousin a point and shoot camera from Canon and I was really impressed with that.

shopcat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I recently bought a Nikon D60 & remembered a book someone recommended on this forum, called " Understanding Exposure" (revised) by Bryan Peterson-I found it at the library & it is a good one..the owners manual teaches you how your camera works but this one can help get you started on how to really use your camera. It's fun to experiment & the wonderful thing about digital is that you don't waste money on pics you don't want!

Hope you have fun!