*****KatKwery! - July 20 - imagine that*****

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Marianjela used imagine! Cocoa Cream, who continues to move up, used 20 or twenty, and luvmycat1 used math before using ten. Not used was place.

Did you by any chance know today's KatKwiz but waited to make more points? Do you like the dare used today or was it too nerve racking? We ascertained that both IMO and Member's Market Place were correct; are there any others that newer members are excluded from? Regarding IMO, do you agree with the 18 age limit? Have you read all the rules and restrictions regarding IMO? Are you by chance like me, and stay away from IMO?

rabernet

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Did you by any chance know today's KatKwiz but waited to make more points? Do you like the dare used today or was it too nerve racking? We ascertained that both IMO and Member's Market Place were correct; are there any others that newer members are excluded from? Regarding IMO, do you agree with the 18 age limit? Have you read all the rules and restrictions regarding IMO? Are you by chance like me, and stay away from IMO?
I "thought" about waiting, but like I said in my reply - I'm impulsive my nature and I just KNEW someone else would beat me! Sorry!!!!

Well, you see it was too nerve wracking for me, since I didn't wait very long to post my answer!

I'm not aware of others that newer members are excluded from, but I do know they can't make cat pages until they've been a member for at least 30 days and reach adult status (or maybe it's young cat).

I do agree with the 18 year old age limit in IMO and have read the rules and restrictions.

I'm pretty opinionated, but also don't like to make waves, so I just read and sit on my hands so that I don't post! LOL

marianjela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks again for the points Lee! KatKwery rocks!

Unfortunately, I didnt make it to KatKwiz on time again today, but I dont know if I would have had the nerve to wait. Especially knowing the next person could answer at any moment. I did; however, know the answer as soon as I read it, so I imagine I would have answered right away also. Your dare reminds me of a game show on cable, "How Much Is Enough". Frequently the kids and I used to try and play along. I'm less cautious when I can see my opponent's faces - lol I guess you cant be too careful. Being impulsive, answering early and getting less points is better than the conservative side, answering late and missing the jackpot altogether. Especially when we have members from different timezones signing on at different hours in the day. Everyone has their own schedule, I am more of an evening person, only occasionally do I sign on in the morning, usually I am busy with the kids, so I usually miss out on the Kwiz.

Off the top of my head, I'm not sure if there are other forums new or young members are restricted from, but I do agree with it in regards to the IMO forum. I meet the 18-age-limit twice over, but I still dont step foot in that war-zone. No thank you
I think I've accidentally wandered in there a few times after viewing a thread from the New Posts page, but in general, I stay clear of opinionated or potentially offensive discussions online. I can also understand why the Marketplace would have similar restrictions. Good way to prevent spamming. I'm not sure if there are any other forums with similar constraints, but the age-limit on sending or receiving Private Messages concerning minors comes to mind. And although the minors may not agree with these limitations, as a mother of 3 teenage daughters I am glad there are places my children can come and not be harassed. Too bad there werent more places like it, although the children do find there ways around such rules, lying about ones age in the virtual world isnt exactly rocket science. Just look at MySpace...

Regarding the rules in IMO, I know I have read them at one point during my journeys through this site this year, but not sure if I recall or remember all the guidelines, especially considering I dont frequent that forum - kind of a "use it or lose it" thing. But I am aware that they can be found in a sticky at the top of the forum. I can have heated discussions at home, with people I know, therefore I stay away from it online where cultures, opinions and personalities vary immensely. I am not one of those people that live for or seek out conflict. For some reason, drama finds its way into my life easy enough as if it had a homing signal on my doormat.

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Persi & Alley

Marianjela used imagine! Cocoa Cream, who continues to move up, used 20 or twenty, and luvmycat1 used math before using ten. Not used was place.

I think the dare used today was pretty neat. I probably wouldn't have waited to answer though. I can't think of other places that newer members are excluded from right off the bat. I do agree with the 18 age limit for IMO. I usually don't visit IMO that much but I have read the rules.

monaxlisa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did you by any chance know today's KatKwiz but waited to make more points?
I didnt make it in time to see it before it was answered, but I cant play again until next month : )

Do you like the dare used today or was it too nerve racking?
I thought it was a great idea, very fun!

We ascertained that both IMO and Member's Market Place were correct; are there any others that newer members are excluded from?
Hmm..no?

Regarding IMO, do you agree with the 18 age limit?
Yes, people can get mighty cranky when they can freely express their opinions.

Have you read all the rules and restrictions regarding IMO? Are you by chance like me, and stay away from IMO?
I havent read the rules, I stay away from there too. Aside from how people can fly off the handle, its so easy to misinterpret things said in print.

glitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I did not have the opportunity to even look at todays katkwiz!

However, if I would have had the opportunity I would have leaped on it and answered right away. I would not have liked to miss the win while being patient and waiting because obviously someone else would have beat me to it. I do like a good dare, but when there are points involved and a ton of other people going to answer immediatly, I could not have waited, just due to the fact I havn't won in a long time! I miss being able to participate in the katkwiz, however do enjoy playing the katkwery even though Im getting my butt whooped. I do not believe that there are any other forums that newer members are restricted from right away, but it could be possible. I know they cant go into the premier lounge, but only paying members can go in there! So there are alot of people restricted from the premium members lounge. I believe strongly in the 18 year old age limit, things can get hostile in there because people do state their opinion, and when I go in there I state my opinion freely whether people like it or not! Something about me is somewhat obnoxious and therefor requires me to state my mind freely. I do enjoy going in there on occasion, but not as frequently as I do the cat lounge. So to answer all your questions no I didn't know the katkwiz but waited due to the fact I wasn't able to be online. I would have loved the dare but probably not accepted it. I do not believe there are any other places that newer members are restricted from using. I agree strongly with the 18 year age limit. Last but not least I am not one that stays away from in my opinion if something catches my eye and I have an opinion, it will be stated, and hopefully will not be offencive to other people.

cocoa cream

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

I was at church all morning, so I didn't even see the KatKwiz until just now! I don't know if I would have been impulsive like the winner and answered right away, or if I would have waited in hopes to earn more points. I did know the answer as soon as I saw the question, though. I think more dares like that would be fun in the future, too! Um, besides the Premium member page, I am not aware of any others newer members can post in or view. But I'll have to read others' replies here and see if I just missed something! I think it's wise to have an age limit on such an open area of the forum as In My Opinion. I haven't read all the rules and resrictions for the IMO threads, mostly because it was only last week that I actually gained access to it myself! I have posted a reply there, and I imagine I'll be going there more often in the future. So I probably should check out all the regulations and make sure I'm abiding by them when I visit!

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise

i knew the answer, but wasn't online at the time, so unable to win KatKwiz. had i seen it, i would've answered right away, tho! afaik, there aren't any other forums new members are excluded from... & they're not truly 'excluded' from those - just excluded from posting until they've reached a certain level. this is to prevent troll attacks in IMO. i've read the rules for IMO, altho i may need a refresher. i've posted in that forum many times, when the topic is one that interests me. i've read others where i didn't feel moved to post, but was curious as to what others posted. occasionally i've discontinued posting in a certain thread because of a seeming inability to get my point across - i'll try several times, but if i'm continually misunderstood, i'll stop posting & unsubscribe from that particular thread. so far, that's only happened twice that i remember. i do agree w/the age limit, both for IMO & for PMs.

catkiki

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I didn't even see the question until just a few minutes ago. LOL not really busy but just too tired to get on the computer much. I did know about the age limit and I do agree with it. Some of the topics are just too much for the under 18 set. I, personally, feel it should be raised to 21 because of nature of some of the topics. I don't go to IMO very much because I don't like controversy. I am a pretty laid back person, and am normally quiet. The only time I ever go there if something catches my eye that I want to read.

naia

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I tend to stay away from the IMO forum. Certain subjects like religion, abortion, gay marriage, politics, guns, etc. just get really heated. Everyone has their own opinion. People try to correct each other, debate with each other, and after all the "debating", it usually ends with an "agree to disagree" thing. I don't even bother with that since it tends to bring on frustration... and frustration is not something I look for here. The way I see it, why not just stay away from it?

I'm OK with the member restrictions for posting in the IMO. Adding a restriction where the member must be this old and have an account for that long... prevents aggressive-posting (for those topics). People tend to get a feel for the community and get to know the people who browse here, so they are less likely to flame. Many people might just make an account specifically for the controversy, and that's not what it's about. The newbie restriction prevents that. This is a cat forum, a place where people talk about cats, and The Cat Lounge (along with other parts of the forum) are for people to connect so that we are a tighter and more personal community.

belongstoevie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi Fellow Kat Kompetitors!

After a bit of a dry spell, I'm back to join the fun again! Between my work internet being PAINFULLY slow (so that it signed me out before I could load a response) and being so pre-occupied with the X-Pack at home, I haven't been too active. Glad to be back!

He he, by the time I get to the KatKwery, "today's" KatKwiz is yersterday's! And since I seldom manage to sign on over the weekend, I didn't even read the 20th's KatKwiz until LONG after it was won! I probably wouldn't have waited, since I tend to play these games more for the fun than for the points, but I think it was a fun twist to the game! And since today's (the 21st) KatKwiz is still going on, I could post, but since it's now work day and I'm just sneaking on during my break, I don't want to spend my entire break looking for the answer! That's why I like the KatKwery, I can just type.

Hmm... Those are the only two I can think of that have restrictions. I would have completely forgotten about the Market Place!

Oh yes, I certainly agree with both the age limit and the membership limit for IMO. Even as it is, things can get pretty heated. It's a really good idea to not let the youngins' in on certain things, and if we let newbies in to post, phew, we'd probably have lots of people on there just to cause trouble and then vanish! Or, we'd have some people really start off on the wrong foot here, and we don't want that!

Yes, I've been a good girl and read all the IMO rules! I think they are all fair and well thought out.

No, I'm not like you in this instance. There's nothing I love more than a good debate! So I do like to read the threads. We have a lot of smart and articulate members on here, and I love reading their opinions and insight. They can be mind opening!

Despite that, I don't often post in there. I know I love debating. To address Naia:

Originally Posted by Naia

I don't even bother with that since it tends to bring on frustration... and frustration is not something I look for here. The way I see it, why not just stay away from it?
I can definitely see why you feel that way. In real life, face to face, I love a good debate, not to change anyone's mind, but to widening my own. Even if it doesn't change my mind about something, I like to see how others think and their point of view. But this isn't real life, it's not face to face. You can't hear a person's tone of voice and see their expressions and know that you are having a healthy, open minded discussion, so it does often get heated and people do get frustrated in these forums. That's why I don't often post in there. So far I've only posted a few things. Either on topics that I really have what I feel is something unique to add, or something close to me.

So I read a lot more often than I post in there!