ugh :( Help - Another Problem has Risen and I'm ready to get rid of my cat

didi86

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So for those who know anything about the problems ive been having ( ie: I got a new kitten - kitten cried all night for week - resident cat got eye ulcer - then got another eye infection right after -- )
so
the new thing now is the 3 yr old
last night
has decided to PEE A BUCKET on my futon (Ive been sleeping on the floor since my mom is in town who is on my bed - I dear god hope this is part of the problem since Mom is leaving and hopefully when I start being on the bed again she'll be fine, but i have this awful feeling she'll just go up on the mattress and pee THERE)

UNFORTUNATELY my "futon" on the floor consisted of 2 of my blankets that I use frequently, 2 sheets, and one throw -- soaked all the way to the throw
so at 2AM i had to do a clean and dry

THIS MORNING
i woke up and after i brushed my teeth, gave her her meds for her eye
and she comes over to my futon again (jsut cleaned) and starts pawing on it lke she's gonna pee, so i watch her
and YUP
she goes up to it and the moment she's about to "squat" i yelled at her and swatted her away and she was about to go on the carpet right next to it, so I had to pick her up and put her in her litter
and then she went and acted like nothing was up

Im keeping the cats separate now - i am absolutely at a loss what to do

I'm scared even at this point if I was to give Alex (the kitten) away, Coco will still continue to pee on my sheets/bed/floor where futon was

This is my mom's last 2 days here and all I can think about is the f*cking cat

I don't know what to do I'm ready to get rid of both of them

There are plenty that Coco could be upset about
1: she's had a conea round her head for 2 weeks now, took it off last night to try to appease her
2: new kitten who she was getting along with okay , until recently
3: she's got a bit of diahhera because of the antibiotic meds the docs been having me give her ( I THINK )
4: mom and brother is here - therefore there's been a lot more ruckus

but if after tuesday (after mom leaves) - she stil does this
doesn't this mean she'll just continue to pee wherever she's peed before????
I am going to try to get some enzyme wash today

Coco is my baby, and I don't want to get rid of her, and Alex is just a sweetheart
but I have a 2 bedroom apartment and a roommate who really isn't home or that I want to have to bother to keep up with MY cats

I thought I knew what I was getting myself into, but I tried following all the steps to a proper introduction

anyone have ANY ideas what to do?? any steps I could follow??

I dont want my bedroom to smell like cat urine all the time!!!

anyone want a 4 mo, old Scottish Fold or a Persian mix??
!

help
!!!

sweetkara

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sounds like you are having a rough time! Do you have multiple litter boxes?

larke

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I imagine your cat is put out about your mother being there (not that your mother has done anything wrong of course) so maybe try to be more understanding for a little while after your mother goes. Territory is SO important to cats, and if changes arise, they can't help being upset sometimes. It is awful about your bedding, but it can be cleaned, and giving away the cat won't change it back unfortunately.

gayef

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I hear your frustration. But step back just a moment, take a deep breath and ask yourself ... is this really the hill I want to die on? I know these issues are difficult and I hear you when you say you are at the end of your rope with them, but giving away your cat/s is honestly not the answer here. I think everyone can co-exist nicely with a little bit of understanding and a lot of continued patience from you. Your company will be leaving soon and things will be returning to a more normal status - can you just give it a few more days and see if we can work with this a little more? I don't think you ~really~ want to give away your pets, honey. I sense that you are an animal lover at heart and that you are just really at the end of your patience with what is happening at the moment.

It sounds to me like everyone there is under a great deal of stress. In cats, stress causes a whole list of physical issues ... urinary tract infections is high on that list. The reason is that stress in cats causes very high amounts of a type of blood sugar to be released into the system. Prolonged stress and the resulting prolonged existence of this high level of blood sugar creates a wonderful environment for the various bacterial flora to thrive and it upsets the normal pH balance in the urinary tract. It is also extremely hard on the kidneys. If this behavior is something your cat has never displayed before, then my ~first~ suggestion to you is to get her in to see her vet to rule out health issues. Additionally, you mentioned your cat had recently taken a course of antibiotics, causing digestive issues. It can also be that the antibiotics caused an upset in the normal balance of the urinary tract, causing an infection. Get an appointment and take care of this first. If it is determined that everything is normal and your cat/s is/are healthy, then we can move on to taking care of behavior issues.

Once you get back from the vet's with an answer, PM me and we'll work on this together. I feel confident we can come up with something together that will work for everyone.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

didi86

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SweetKara

Sounds like you are having a rough time! Do you have multiple litter boxes?
yes i do
one in each bathroom

I dont know what to do I'm at a total loss

Ive even got that Feliway Comfortzone thing where you plug it in the wall
and today I even got some "homeopathic" whatever remedy to "calm upset cat" to put in her water fountain

Coco has been in my closet all day and won't come out, only to eat, i haven't seen her "go" yet, but theres nothing in the litter box yet , but I guess its possible she just doesn't have to yet

and I feel so bad because I thought I was really going to be okay w/ 2 cats
but I can't just "get rid of" Alex since he's actually a REALLY good kitten he just wants to play w/ Coco (he doesn't seem too smart I think, cuz she'll bat/hiss at him and he'll continue to want to play) - and COco is my baby, even though she's caused more h*ll than anything ever since she was a kitten (completely tearing up furniture/curtains/sheets/entire room's carpeting as a kitten) - but because she's calmed down so much I thought it was an appropriate time to add another cat

I've already done all I can
taken both cats to the vet, (spent well over 400 already on this - on vaccinations and medications for coco's eyes)
and since coco had to wear a cone, i had her shaved (lions cut) to prevent from getting stuff all over her tail

bought a 200$ cat tree so the little guy had somewhere to play
gotten the little guy soft paws so it would prevent him from damaging coco at all
got multiple litter boxes (which is driving my roommate mad!
-- esp since I have to keep one in his bathroom)
tons of toys
stocked up on wetfood (to make the BRAT happy)

Altogether I've dumped nearly 1000 on these 2 cats in the past month to try to get them to get along and NOT pee on stuff

what do I do?? help

didi86

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mews2much

Couls ahe have a uti now?
I don't know
I only don't really think so since she was LOOKING at me when she tried to pee again this morning

didi86

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh and
doesn't UTI usually occur and the cat can't control its bladder ?

Coco clearly went up to my sheets again thsi morning
and "pawed" it like she does w/ her litter
and tried to pop a squat

like she didnt just accidentally go

aswient

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My cat has UTI he can control where he goes, he goes everywhere thinking if he does it here or there it will give him relieve, from the urgency he feels, I had him looking at me also while he was trying to urinate.

didi86

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by aswient

My cat has UTI he can control where he goes, he goes everywhere thinking if he does it here or there it will give him relieve, from the urgency he feels, I had him looking at me also while he was trying to urinate.
you mean in the exact same spot as before?

what Im worried about if its any medication that I have to give her , she won't have it, and will just get even more p*ssed off
I think its part of her stress

also she didnt seem to be straining or anything when she was going either (I have been trying to look up more info on UTI)
she just has this overall, major "attitude" thing going on

oh and in addition to her bahavior
I think I mentioned this already but she's been hiding in the closet all day, only to come out to eat, i haven't seen her go yet, but she has been doing this all week
hiding in the closet, coming out to eat and go
i stopped giving her the eye cream and oral meds since she is definitly ticked off about taking it, and only giving her the quick eye drops, her eyes actually look okay today, but shes just been curled up in the back of my closet all day, not coming out at all

For the past week she's been contained my bedroom, since the vet said to keep the cats separate - theres no way to keep her out of my bedroom either, since my bathroom is connected to it, and she'd really have no where to sleep/roam if she was in my restroom.
this has just become a nightmare for me

whatdoidowhatdoido?

aswient

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yes, he would go in the same spots. As for medication, I couldn't go near him to give him medication, I had to give him liquid medication in his food, he's the cat of a feral mother and he would never let me give him medication directly in his mouth. But the antibiotics did work.

didi86

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by aswient

Yes, he would go in the same spots. As for medication, I couldn't go near him to give him medication, I had to give him liquid medication in his food, he's the cat of a feral mother and he would never let me give him medication directly in his mouth. But the antibiotics did work.
Ok i just watched coco user her litterbox
she's got really bad diarrhea - ugh i don't know whats wrong w/ her anymore

i just want this whole domino effect of problems to end!

skimble

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry that you are having a rough time. It does seem like maybe some other health issue needs attention. I know it must be distressing but it will get better. Maybe you can get her checked by the vet again and let the vet know about all the other things going on. You may have already talked to the vet, but maybe get her checked out for the diarrehea.

There are wonderful people here that will walk you through this trouble spot. It may not seem like it now but things have a way of working out with time. The kitten will mature and mellow. Your Coco will adjust in her time. Once all the company and health issues are gone things will get better.

Hang in there and keep us updated.

mom of 4

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by DiDi86

Ok i just watched coco user her litterbox
she's got really bad diarrhea - ugh i don't know whats wrong w/ her anymore

i just want this whole domino effect of problems to end!
Take a deep breath and relax. You are so stressed that it is transferring to your cats. You just have to survive a few more days.
You said in your first post that Coco is on antibiotics - which are notorious for causig diarrhea by killing off the good bacteria in the intestines. different people on here can recommend a probiotic to help restore the bacteria balance. I use a tsp of plain yogurt mixed in their food.

Clean the areas with Nature's Miracle to get rid of any lingering odor. Saturate the area.

Think about all poor Coco has been through - a new kitten, antibiotics, diarrhea, the E-collar, guests and you sleeping in a strange place. Plus you are upset. That is a lot for cat used to a quiet home and just the two of you. Don't yell at her or get frustrated tell it is okay and things are also back to normal - just the three of you. It is amazing how much they understand.

larke

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If she has diarrhea, there's a reason, and whether it's the antibiotics, stress, milk (which is NOT good for kitties) or something else, she feels at least as lousy as you do now and needs to be taken care of. You need to chill and re-approach things on a step by step, one at a time basis and get back in control. The first thing to be addressed is the cat, who is sick, and if that means boarding out Alex for a day or two, then do it. Also tell the vet you can't give the meds properly and maybe they'll be able to board her and do it there, or get a tech to come over and help, or something, but do get help instead of just falling apart. You can get through it all, but need to take a deep breath and address one thing first.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
i have no advice [other than what you've already gotten] i just thought you needed a

didi86

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
thank you everyone for your support --
tomorrow my mom will be going home first thing in the morning
and I will be monitering coco more

she's been hiding in the closet sleeping/doing whatever she's doing
only coming out for food.

(i haven't seen her touch her water - I put some stress relief drops in there,, maybe she smells it..?? - but I put 1 tsp in one of those water fountains when it calls for 2 tsp per cup)

I will be taking Coco to the vet this weekend since I work 9-5 and I don't think I could get time off work this week to take her ---

I honestly don't know how I am going to afford this if Coco really has serious problems

does anyone know how much these tests and meds usually run?
its nearing end of the month and my rent is $$$$ (thanks to living in Los Angeles) and I've already blown hundreds on the cats this month (thanks to Coco's eye problem - and kitten vacs) and I don't know how I can just keep buying all these RX meds she won't even take

is there any easy over-the-counter things I could give her - any generic "feel better" stuff at all?

I am really reluctant about boarding since I feel like they'd probably get more sick being boarded since they don't know the place, surrounded by unfamiliar animals
and god knows what diseases some of /them/ have, esp since Alex isn't done w/ his series of kitten shots yet (last one due first week of Aug) - and I'm still convinced he got his sneezing/cold from the previous vet
--- and Knowing Coco she'd be more stressed in the animal hospital ;_;

skimble

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Sounds like you are moving in the right direction. Do not know of anything to make her feel better until the vet visit. If Coco eats wet food you could mix warm water with it to make it soupy. This will help get more water in her.

Mix her medicine in a teaspoon of all meat baby food (no onions or garlic). Give it to her before her regular meal so she will be hungry enough to eat the medicine food first.

Vet cost vary so much. Ask the vet as he evaluates her what costs are involved. Sometimes they will work with you on a payment schedule. We have an animal health supply store nearby that sells flea treatments, some antibiotics and other supplies at less than half of what vet charges. You might check the internet or phone book to see what is near you that carries animal supplies.

Do watch Coco for any signs of fever, not eating, not drinking, etc. Sometimes if an illness gets worse it will lead to bigger health issues.

Now that mom is leaving the house can settle back into a routine. That will help her. Spend some time with her albeit in her closet and then spend some time with Alex. That should reassure them. Take some time for yourself too!

This is a small bump in the road. You are taking care of your babies and they depend on you. Things will work out. Keep us posted on how Coco is doing.

didi86

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
yesterday was a suprisingly calm day
i came home for lunch, and it was very quiet, little alex was passed out and when I went to my room, I called out for coco and she came out of her little "closet cave" I fed her some wet food, she purred/let me pet her (she was kind of skittish though..)
and went potty in the litter box, drank some water, and scurried back into her cave.
in the evening we played w/ Alex a bit til he passed out and i opened up my bedroom door and Coco eventually wandered out
Alex saw her when he woke up and sniffed her, who in turn wacked him (punched him) several times in teh head, and he thought playtime was "on" im sure, and decided to pounce her on, and she growled/hiss, and ran away into the cave again
I still left the door open and noticed when Alex was playing by herself, coco sat in my dark room sneering out the door and just watching Alex X_X;;

Mom and brother is officially gone back home now, so it will just be me and coco , Alex, and occasionally the roommate (who actually takes Alex into his room at night, and letting him out later on for litterbox until he goes to work which is usually an hour or so earlier than me) --
she's been continually eating just fine, staying in the closet most of the day still, but now is using the litter box like normal again

I think she just doesn't like the little guy at all, period

her stool still looks a little wet --

she just seems really skittish (she's not normally a skittish cat) thats the only part thats weird, if i walk towards her too fast she runs into the closet
its sooo weird, its like she KNOWS she did something BAD and is now scared im going to reprimand her

So I no longer believe its a UTI? I feel like maybe she was just REALLY ticked off at me? But I read alot about how its believed cats don't hold the intelligence to think that way (as far as "revenge" ) ? How come I doubt that belief.. hmph...?