Tuna and my cats

benda_starr

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi there!
I get a fairly pricey Tuna & Crab wet food from a pet specialty store that I go to. My two cats love it. I have some tuna that I'd like to feed them, however they dont like it!
I am new to the forum, I'll go say hello in the other section soon, but I am wondering if a) the canned people tuna is ok for my cats and b) what can I add to it that they will want to eat it. (is there like some sort of gravy I can make for it?)

Thanks in advance!!
Benda

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
People or cat tuna - both should be very limited. Cats can get hooked on eating tuna and not want anything else. I never buy cat tuna - they get mainly chicken, lamb, beef, turkey, venison/duck. If I give tuna, its a little tuna juice on a plate with a bite of tuna from the can we are making salads with - and its ONLY a treat

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

benda_starr

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
They get a high grade dry food too- I dont give them the wet food all the time- but they do get it a couple times a week- The tuna & crab one is just one of the ones they like. They still eat other flavors so I dont think I have tuna junkies yet.

Does anyone make their own wet cat food? Mine will eat anything- but I do think they enjoy ones with a little gravy--- whatever that is--- any suggestions for cat healthy gravy out there? I'll do a search for what people think is a good wet food.

thanks for the quick replies and thanks for the info on the tuna.
Benda

blaise

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
...I do think they enjoy ones with a little gravy--- whatever that is--- any suggestions for cat healthy gravy out there?...
Well, not all gravies are created equal - so far as your cats' health is concerned. If you're thinking thick, starchy gravy, that's the no-no. If, on the other hand, a broth style gravy is OK, then great.

Many cats also like a soupy/slurry wet food - make your own by adding some water to a high protein, high fat, low carb grain-free wet food.