Broken leg?

whiteforest

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This morning DH left for work and found a gray kitten, 8-10 weeks, on the side of the road. He appears to have a broken leg (?) - his right hind quarter. He is walking around fine with his other three legs, but holding up the one. He hasn't been hit by a car, there seem to be no other injuries, no labored breathing, etc. I called my vet this morning and she told me that if there's no bleeding, his breathing is normal and it seems to just be broken or injured than it would be okay for him to wait to see a vet until tomorrow. See, we are out of town so we didn't have really any other options at 6am on a Sunday morning when I called her. The only other thing I can add is that after I hung up with the vet I noticed that his leg around the elbow joint is swollen and very red. Opinions, experience...anyone?? What can I do to keep this little guy comfortable? What other possibilities are there other than a broken leg?

fluffee

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Find an animal hospital that is open or on call?

I be worried

but that is just me

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would try to keep the kitten inactive as much as possible, to limit the pain. Cats are very good at hiding their pain and discomfort. The vet may be able to put the leg in a cast, or otherwise immobilize it, but if the joint is ruined, there won't be too much he can do. The good news is that cats get along very well with 3 legs.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

whiteforest

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mrblanche

I would try to keep the kitten inactive as much as possible, to limit the pain. Cats are very good at hiding their pain and discomfort. The vet may be able to put the leg in a cast, or otherwise immobilize it, but if the joint is ruined, there won't be too much he can do. The good news is that cats get along very well with 3 legs.
That was what I figured. He does just fine getting around right now. Keeping him inactive is easy, he just wants to be near us so we've been just carrying him when were walking too far from him. He really doesn't appear to be in any pain, as he doesn't even cry if I apply any pressure to the area. I'm kind of thinking that he's been injured a while and that it might have started to heal that way.

He also has a cloudy spot in the center of both eyes. What are some typical things that could cause that?

I will say, though, that he is a poor excuse for a feral! He's so lovey for only being handled by humans for the first time ever today. [It's a 4000 acre property where we found him, and I know the mother is a feral on property.] Someone will be lucky to adopt this little guy, despite his disability.