Serving size for dry food...

pinkdaisy226

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey guys, it's been a while! Anyway, I was looking to switch from Nutro and since the store nearby has Petguard, I went with that. She loves it, I mixed some into her Nutro and she's been picking out the Petguard.

Only problem is - there's no serving guide on the bag. When she was on Nutro Natural Care - Indoor Weight Management formula - she was eating a little under one cup a day. How much do I feed her of Petguard? She is a bit on the tubby size and could stand to lose a bit of weight. She's also become a bit more of an eater in the past year than she used to be (then again, she used to have other cats around that would eat her food).

Any ideas? About the same as Nutro? Less? I know that with better quality brands you typically have to feed less since they're more filling, right?

cloud_shade

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How much does your kitty currently weigh? I would probably start by feeding the same amount (since the ratio of protein to fat is the same in both foods) but monitor her weight carefully and adjust as needed. If she needs to lose weight, perhaps feed 3/4 cup instead of almost one cup, but definitely monitor her weight for any changes. You don't want her to gain or lose too quickly.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
ARI! good grief, girl, where've you been? are you still down south of here?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would start the same ... petguard if memory serves is a bit grainier so kitty might actually eat more

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pinkdaisy226

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by cloud_shade

How much does your kitty currently weigh? I would probably start by feeding the same amount (since the ratio of protein to fat is the same in both foods) but monitor her weight carefully and adjust as needed. If she needs to lose weight, perhaps feed 3/4 cup instead of almost one cup, but definitely monitor her weight for any changes. You don't want her to gain or lose too quickly.
Baylee weighs about 12 pounds, give or take a few ounces. Every vet she's been to (for checkups) have said that she's a bit on the heavy side, but they haven't been overly concerned about it, just mentioned that she could lose a bit.

Thanks, I'll start with just under one cup and see how she does. In the past she wasn't always crazy about food but, like I said, she always had other cats that were faster than her and would eat it. These days, if her bowl has been empty for a while, she'll hang out by the pantry/food bowls til I get the hint.

Originally Posted by sharky

I would start the same ... petguard if memory serves is a bit grainier so kitty might actually eat more
Rats, I was hoping that I was paying MORE so that the bag would last me about the same. Maybe I shouldn't have gone with Petguard... I was debating Wellness too...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pinkdaisy226

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by laureen227

ARI! good grief, girl, where've you been? are you still down south of here?
Ha, I've been around... yup, still in S.A., though I'm debating moving back to Houston... it's hard finding a teaching job! How have you been?!

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by pinkdaisy226

Ha, I've been around... yup, still in S.A., though I'm debating moving back to Houston... it's hard finding a teaching job! How have you been?!
fine... hopefully going on a job interview next week [not thrilled w/the new principal
]

sweetkara

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My adult cat is about 7-8 lbs and she eats 1/2 cup of dry food each day. She has actually gained weight eating that much but I think it's because she was outside for at least a month before I took her in and who knows what she was eating.

I would just monitor her weight closely- like make a chart- and figure it out that way. I've heard the charts on the cat food bag aren't accurate anyways.