Is My Cat Depressed??

julia123

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have a 5 year old tabby I adopted from a shelter 3 years ago. He was a stray but is now an indoor cat. In the summer, he gets absolutely desperate to get outside. He cries constantly by the back door. When that doesn't work, he just lays on the mat or sits in the window. He seems really depressed. It seems like all day, every day, he's just totally and completely focused on OUTSIDE. In the fall/winter/spring he's fine. I don't want him outside because I don't have a fenced in yard (and getting a fence is not going to happen) and I don't want fleas. I've felt so bad for him that I *have* taken him outside, in the past, but he just tries to get out of the yard. I'm not sure what to do. He's just obsessed. I don't want him to be sad, but I am not going to let him go outside. Has this happened to anyone else? Advice!

sweetkara

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
What if you got a harness and leash and let him out supervised?

Does he try to get out/escape when you open the door?

larke

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If he isn't neutered, it's really important that it be done as he's focusing now on mating rather than living and playing with you, plus possibly being able to see other cats outside would make him want to go out too.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Larke

If he isn't neutered, it's really important that it be done
Are you able to buy or build him an enclosure? That way he can be outside, but safe. Many people over here build them with a tunnel and cat flap connected to the house so they can come and go as they like.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

julia123

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well, he is neutered. I *have* bought him a harness and leash but he just rolls around on the ground. I've even tried having him wear it inside to get used to the feeling of it but it's never worked. He doesn't try to escape when I open the door - he's too polite - but he sits there mournfully and waits for permission.