Litter tray accidents?

j_f_a

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello there, I'm a new cat owner and Ive got a question about litter trays. I got my new cat Mitzy and he's apparently litter trained already (being 8) and I got him a new litter tray as his old owners didn't send him over with a tray. I got one of those enclosed ones with a flap. Only he doesn't like his carrier so I don't think he likes the enclosed litter tray. Anyway he went for a pee on my floor.

So what I've done is soaked a piece of kitchen roll in the pee, taken off the lid of the litter box and put the soaked roll in the litter tray. Do you think this will work? Is there anything else I can do to help him find the litter tray?

Is there any way I can ease him into using the tray with the lid on?

This is kind of what I have for him:

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I know that in theory, a covered litter box sounds like a great idea but many experts feel that an enclosed litter tray is not a good idea. Some cats just don't like them. Personally, I would be concerned about the kitty breathing the dust they kick up when they use a covered litter box.

Keep checking back....
other members might have some useful feedback for you soon.
By the way....
I saw Mitzy's photo in New Cats....
he is adorable.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

j_f_a

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Really? I never thought of that when buying the tray. But you're right the kitty litter was dusty and made me choke when pouring it in...

I have three trays in the house, do you think I should buy him a brand new non covered one? Or do you think I could give the covered one to my bunnies and give him one of my bunnies tray? I know they'd love a covered one. Especially Destiny. But would the fact that my buns had used a litter tray put him off?

Thank you. He is so adorable! My pet history is in rescues and bandages. It's nice to have a cat who's not poorly, cut up and neglected. He only came to me because his owners son developed severe reactions to him.

enuja

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Leaving the lid off at least until he uses it regularly is the way to go. Do you know what litter he used at his last home? It could help to use the same litter, and then, if you want to use a different litter eventually, to slowly transition between litters by mixing them.

If I were you, I wouldn't try to get him used to a closed box; I'd just go with an open box (or two!). If you really want to transition to a closed box, I'd definietely start with two boxes, then put the lid (and skip the flap at first) on one box. Wait until he uses that one as much as the open box, and then try the flap (if it's really important to you - I don't think its likely to work), or just go to using all covered boxes.

My first cat had a covered box and no problem with it, but cats are often much less willing to use covered boxes than they are willing to use open boxes. A lot of denizens of this board like to use large rubbermaid containers for litter boxes; you can find a bunch of threads on make-you-own litter boxes of various styles.

j_f_a

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ok thanks guys. I think I'll scrap the idea of an enclosed box for him. I think I'll give it to my rabbits as they're half litter trained and so use boxs and love enclosed spaces. So now I just have to figure if I can give him one of theirs or if I'm going to have to buy another one (Which I really can't afford to do as I spent £157 on stuff for him yesterday so buying him a new box would have to wait till pay day).

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Enuja

A lot of denizens of this board like to use large rubbermaid containers for litter boxes; you can find a bunch of threads on make-you-own litter boxes of various styles.
I am one of the denizens who uses the plastic storage boxes found at most "have everything" stores...
here in the US, I find mine at Target, for about $6 (US) each.
The advantage to these boxes is that they are inexpensive, larger ( which cat like) and clean easily.
The below thread will show you some examples...
http://www.sterilite.com/Category.ht...uctCategory=39

If you can afford it, I would start with new boxes instead of the bunny boxes...
cats are very scent sensitive and territorial.
Bunny scent might put Mitzy off.

TCS has a Cats and Other Animals forum.
I think that several members have bunnies.
You might want to start a thread there about introducing Mitzy and your buns.

j_f_a

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The litter trays I buy my bunnies are about that size and price too. My bunnies are bigger than my cat. Ok, I'll get him another litter tray when I get paid. I can't believe how much I spent on his stuff yesterday. I literally have enough for bus fare till pay day :p

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by J_F_A

The litter trays I buy my bunnies are about that size and price too. My bunnies are bigger than my cat. Ok, I'll get him another litter tray when I get paid. I can't believe how much I spent on his stuff yesterday. I literally have enough for bus fare till pay day :p
until then, just remove the lid from the one you have - i'll bet that'll solve the problem!

enuja

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It's quite possible that you won't have to buy anything at all; three litter boxes is more than enough for one cat. Most litter boxes with lids work perfectly well without lids. I'd give it some time and see how the boxes you've already bought work well as lid-less boxes.

Trading bunny for cat boxes also might work. It's worth a try, certainly Just change things slowly (leaving at least one box the cat is using while you switch out another), and it should work out fine, hopefully without you having to buy anything else in the near future!

j_f_a

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat only has one litter tray. My bunnies have one each.

Yeah it works perfectly fine without a lid it's just I have nowhere to put the lid if I'm not using it. So it's either trash the lid if he refuses to like it or switch boxs.

j_f_a

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
hehe as have we all ^_^
Yeah I took the top off and put urine soaked kitchen roll in to help him find the right place. I'm hoping that should do the trick.

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Also, if you haven't already, clean the pee area with an enzyme cleaner of some sort, to really get rid of the odor. And, if he keeps having 'accidents', I'd suggest taking him to a vet. Cats can develop UTI's just from stress, and even the wonderful stress of a new home and a loving parent can be stress, just the same. Good luck!

j_f_a

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you. He's found it now. I think I was using a different kitty litter, or perhaps it was the lid. Something and nothing.

What's a UTI? I'll keep that in mind. I don't want my kitty to be poorly so if he starts having any more accidents I'll take him to the vet. But I think this time it was just because he couldn't find it.

Also, daft question, but how often are you supposed to change kitty litter. Just whenever the box starts to get full or daily?

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise

Thank you. He's found it now. I think I was using a different kitty litter, or perhaps it was the lid. Something and nothing.

What's a UTI? I'll keep that in mind. I don't want my kitty to be poorly so if he starts having any more accidents I'll take him to the vet. But I think this time it was just because he couldn't find it.

Also, daft question, but how often are you supposed to change kitty litter. Just whenever the box starts to get full or daily?
UTI=urinary tract infection. #1 cause of inappropriate urination [assuming cat has been using litterbox prior]. if you scoop out the clumps/poo each day, you can just replenish the litter for a while. some people wash every week, others every month - kinda varies w/how picky you are. w/only 1 cat, once a month should be enough for a thorough cleaning... altho i don't ever wash mine, just keep 'em scooped. but, then, i'm a slob

j_f_a

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Right ok. Well yeah, my cat is fully litter trained. So if he starts not using his box it could be a UTI and I should get him booked in the vets ASAP?

Right. Oops. I've not been scooping out his poop. I was trating his litter tray like my rabbits...minus the hay and just waiting till it got like it needed emptying. But I'll scoop out his poops daily from now on. Thank you.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise

Right ok. Well yeah, my cat is fully litter trained. So if he starts not using his box it could be a UTI and I should get him booked in the vets ASAP?
Pixel actually peed on my pillow [she was attempting to pee on my head] last year. we went to the vet - she didn't have anything left in her bladder. but the vet gave me the antibiotics anyway, based on her behavior. that was the 1st time since kittenhood she'd gone outside the box [she's almost 11 now]. same w/Chip - he had crystals. had to eat the special food for a while. now i add stuff to his food to prevent them... oh, & he also has a special tic of peeing in cardboard boxes, so i've pretty much stopped leaving them around... even tho the others enjoy getting into them, chewing them, etc.

j_f_a

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
*shock* Peeing on your pillow and aiming for your head? Don't tell me that. *looks nervous about letting Mitzy sleep with me now. I got home yesterday and laid on my bed and got wet. I thought OH NO has mitzy peed on my bed...I'd only gone and left wet trousers on it while getting dressed :p I'm still getting used to having to persuade Mitzy to let me get up so I'm rushing out for work and I'd forgotten to hang them up to dry with the rest :p *dunce hat*

Well I hope he doesn't get a UTI but now I know what to look out for incase he does. I'm glad your two got better. They're really pretty. I like Java and mouses pictures by the way.