A little rant

fuzzles

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I went and saw the new Batman movie this afternoon and the guy behind me kept kicking my seat every 10 seconds or so. Makes a movie not enjoyable, IMO! I kept turning around to glare at him and I know he had to have seen me at one point, but it still kept happening. So after the movie was over I just had to say out loud that I hate people kicking my seat during a movie. My boyfriend told me it wasn't a big deal and to stop saying stuff about it (but his seat wasn't being kicked the whole time like mine was). I hope the guy heard me say what I said. I would've just asked him to stop but it probably would've exacerbated the situation and other people in the theater would've probably gotten disturbed, so I thought I wouldn't do that and just scoot up in my seat so I couldn't feel it, but i could still feel it every once in a while plus my back started bothering me without any support sitting up for that long. Sometimes people annoy me. I think I'm done ranting now. I don't mind if people accidentally hit the back of my seat every once in a while, but constantly annoys me.

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What a jerk!
I know what you mean though! It's usually kids that do that! It's SOOOOO anoying!!!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If we can - we sit in the upper back rows where there isn't as much chance as a "brat" kicking the back of the seats

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There was a time when a uniformed usher would have stepped in and reseated the offender -- but these days, if you can even find an usher, it's a gum-chewing 15-year-old with braces and a flashlight... not very intimidating.

mbjerkness

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

There was a time when a uniformed usher would have stepped in and reseated the offender -- but these days, if you can even find an usher, it's a gum-chewing 15-year-old with braces and a flashlight... not very intimidating.
so true

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Fuzzles

My boyfriend told me it wasn't a big deal and to stop saying stuff about it (but his seat wasn't being kicked the whole time like mine was).
He was probably thinking that if you would have kept saying stuff that it would've ended in a fight, and he would have had to be the one to do the fighting.

I can't stand rude people in theaters, and it's getting worse. People talk on their phones, comment out loud on the film, etc. It's one of my pet peeves.
I once had to endure a movie with some bratty kid kicking my seat on purpose.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry you had a bad experience. You should have just spoken up and asked him to please not kick your seat. He was probably doing it without even realizing it.

I find movie seats so uncomfortable and crowded. I prefer to wait for movies to come out on VOD or DVD or even a movie channel.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fuzzles

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I enjoyed the movie, and I'm glad I'm not the only one that feels that way going into theaters now when rude people are there. One time I had a guy next to me that kept playing with his phone. I don't know if he was text messaging or what, but it was annoying to keep seeing a bright screen flash on every few minutes.

Maybe I should just wait until the crowds die down from now on to watch movies in the theater or start going to the drafthouse (the seats are too far apart there so that the waiters/waitresses can move between them during the movie and so the person behind you cannot kick your seat).

I don't even remember ever seeing an usher in a theater. Even when I was a kiddo. Then again, I'm only 23 so I may be too young to remember if there was such a thing, no offense to you folks older than me.

wingss2fly

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I would have been a total wack attack B****, and told him to knock it off. SO instead...DH would have changed seats with me, cuz I am a B****.

K.

enuja

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If another movie patron is annoying you ...
1) politely and quietly request that patron to stop doing whatever is disruptive
2) leave the theater and go find an usher (or manager or whatever ... they do exist) to have the person kicked out.
3) leave yourself and ask for refund from the theater. Maybe they'll do a better job of policing the crowd in the future.

It's really, really awful to have to interrupt your own experience to get someone kicked out, but if they are being disruptive, they need to be kicked out.

There are a few ways to avoid being disrupted:
1) never go to movies that kids might watch during the day (or even fairly early in the evening)
2) choose early movie times for adult films, so the showings are emptier
3) go near the end of a movie's run instead of the beginning makes it likely that you'll have an emptier theater and therefore much less likely that you'll have an annoying person anywhere near you
4) live near a theater like the ArcLight in LA, where they have a no cell-phones, no disruption announcement by a live person before each film, and they take it fairly seriously.

My spouse saw The Dark Night at 3:00 am on Friday morning, and he said that was a great crowd to see it with; the midnight was sold out, but the 3:00 was pretty empty and contained only INSANE fans (including people seeing it for the second time). He saw it with me at 10:20pm Friday evening. The theater was very crowded, so there were some cell-phone lights and a few disruptions now and again, but all in all, the audience was pretty good. The crowd was mostly 17-21, which is old enough to sit still but unfortunately young enough to be addicted to cell phones. There was also a 10:50 showing, so we should have gotten tickets to that; from the lines, it was much, much emptier.

It was funny to hear critics as guests on a call-in show about being a movie patron. Their answer to all of the annoying problems was just "I go to the ArcLight - you should try it." It's a little more expensive, but you actually choose your own seat, all of the seats are very comfortable, none of them are too close or too far from the screen; it's an amazing movie theater.

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We saw Iron Man and had several bimbos behind us talking and chewing gum very loudly. I asked them politely to knock it off, but one of them told me to shut my f-ing mouth, causing my DH to grab my belt and sit me still and not jerk her over the seat. Then a lady with kids got in on it, about their language, and the manager told them to mind their manners, including getting rid of the gum. He said they don't sell it, and he would kick them out for bringing in outside candy. We even got our money back. It was a really good movie, too.

gayef

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I do not tolerate rudeness on any level in a movie theatre. I will turn around and say something politely the first time, but after that, the gloves are off and I can get ugly quick.

Once, a group of kids were sitting behind hubby & I and kept making loud comments, cussing, kicking our seats, throwing popcorn, etc. I turned around and glared at them once, then when it kept happening, I turned around and quietly told them that if they didn't stop I would have them thrown out of the movie. They laughed at me so up I got, went to the manager and HE came in to remove them. Well, the little brats refused to go, so the Manager called the Po-Po. Needless to say, 5-0 made them leave.

I got four coupons for free movies, a $25 concession card and a huge apology from the manager.

cata_mint

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I would have switched with my bf. He looks much more intimidating than me, and I would have ended up yelling at whoever it was. I have quite a short temper.

lauracatlover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know exactly how you feel. Once I went to see that superman movie that was out quite a while ago, and there was some kid behind me who was at least 3 years old, and every 5 minutes he'd be saying, "What's he doing? What's he doing now? What's that?"

I tell ya, all the way through I had the urge to punch his face in
and his mom's, cuz she was talking back loudly!!

oscarsmommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The only time we ever go to movies is if we cannot wait until it comes out on video. It's almost always me that will go with some girlfriends idf I really want to see a movie. The last movie Travis and I saw together in theater was 40 year old virgin. Too expensive and I don't have the patience to deal with other people

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

I prefer to wait for movies to come out on VOD or DVD or even a movie channel.
Same here, i'd sooner wait until i can watch it in the comfort of my own home without having to hear anyone talking, eating, coughing, or slurping etc...

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by cata_mint

I would have switched with my bf. He looks much more intimidating than me, and I would have ended up yelling at whoever it was. I have quite a short temper.
Good idea!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We are selective to go to the movies - still cost more then I'd like for 2 people and we don't buy the concession stuff! But unless its special, we wait till we can rent it. Doesn't take long now, maybe a month or two before its out.

We do like Pirates of the Carribean movies and beg screen is cool. I honestly cannot remember the last movie we went to see....lol