A word of warning!

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My wife got a call Thursday from her aunt that her cousin was in the hospital. Apparently she has diabetes, has not been treating it, and was found unconscious in her apartment by her best friend, who called 911.

At the hospital, they discovered she has one of those terrible "flesh-eating" infections, running from her navel around to her spine. She's in the ICU, not conscious, and only has a 50% chance of survival.

Folks, let's not be the hero and try to tough it out!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We were going to go down and visit her (in Waco) today, but she doesn't know what's going on, and visiting hours are very restrictive. We're hoping she's well enough to visit soon...but that's not the way things are looking.

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That's horrifying! Sending lots of for her recovery, and for all who are keeping watch with her.

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That is terrible...
thank you for the reminder.

Adding my vibes that she will recover rapidly..

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh my gosh, Mike, I'm so sorry! Bless her heart... I know the mindset that can put you into that kind of situation. I almost died myself because I wasn't willing to ask for financial help when I had pneumonia years ago. You reach a point where you're no longer thinking rationally, and you make bad decisions. Oh, I hope she pulls through! I'll keep her in my thoughts.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh dear - will keep her in our prayers - I've seen pictures of that, but is almost seems unreal. I hope they can stop it.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh geez! That's really serious! I hope she makes it. I'll definitely keep her in my thoughts!

That bacteria gets its name for a good reason!! As a student I looked after a fellow that had it. He did live, but he had to have a good chunk of his lower abdoment, all of his genitals and a sizable chunk of his upper thighs removed. His was caused by a break in sterile procedure in the O.R.

Since then I've looked after other patients with varying degrees of the disease. It's an awful thing. They cut away tissue and hope they got it all and if they see it resuming they cut away more.

Do they have access to a hyperbaric chamber (like those used to treat divers with "the bends"). where she is? The chamber forces oxygen into compromised cells and tissues, allowing normal function of White Blood Cells and reducing tissue death from oxygen deprivation. While the chamber helps, the most important treatment for necrotizing fasciitis is the removal of the dead tissue.

glitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope she recovers! Thats nothing to fool around with and most people just think its an infection up until its really bad! Good sent her way!!