Have you ever heard of someone making their cat a vegetarian?

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was watching TV with my SO the other day and there was a CRAZY vegan family that wouldn't even feed their cats meat!
I don't understand how this could be healthy for a cat! Is it possible to feed a cat all vegies and no meat?

Just curious!

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, it's possible to feed a cat all veggies but it's NOT healthy. Cats require a high protien diet, period. I'm sure there are ways to get protien to a cat on a vegetarian diet but I just think the whole idea is a crock.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I didn't think it would be a good idea at all. I don't understand why their cat has to be a vegan too
Some people....

Asteria

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Fortunately I haven't heard of that until now. That's sad for the poor cat, he or she must be very unhealthy, or about to become pretty sick.
I, personally, have been a vegetarian for years, but I would never push that on to my animals! I wouldn't dream of taking away meat from their diet.

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Mollysmom

Fortunately I haven't heard of that until now. That's sad for the poor cat, he or she must be very unhealthy, or about to become pretty sick.
I, personally, have been a vegetarian for years, but I would never push that on to my animals! I wouldn't dream of taking away meat from their diet.
Well I can tell you it wasn't fat by any means! I think most fixed males are a little heafty, but this guy looked like my little 7lb Leya.

I'm glad to hear you wouldn't take away your kitty's meat!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Its not a good thing - its wrong and could be dangerous. Its like telling a rabbit they have to eat meat and no vegetables. God made dogs and cats to eat meat. The family should be charged with cruelty to animals!

junior_j

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The family may get protein in the cats through other foods like..eggs lol or erm what else has protein...

I do disagree with the whole no meat thing , the family is silly a animal needs meat its so not fair on that poor animal..

Jess x

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by junior_j

The family may get protein in the cats through other foods like..eggs lol or erm what else has protein...

I do disagree with the whole no meat thing , the family is silly a animal needs meat its so not fair on that poor animal..

Jess x
protein isn't the only thing that vegetarianism prevents cats from getting, tho - there are amino acids that we [& other animals] can produce [make] in our bodies that they simply can't. unless the family supplements w/special nutrients, cats will develop many nutritional deficiencies from a non-meat diet.

optionken

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately I have heard of it. Althouguh cats can get protpein, their is a huge difference between animal based protein and vegetable. I am sure their cat is headed for big problems down the line

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by junior_j

I can't believe a person would actually to this. I'm actually sad to see that people have heard of this happening.

maxcat08

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think I saw that same show, a while ago, and thought the same thing...A cat isn't a human being who can conscientiously make decisions regarding their diet. They need a certain diet to stay healthy and lead a long life.

Cruelty to animals..ran through my mind as well. Lots of people write letters to these shows...I hope some people did, at least to ask that family how their cat is getting its meat protein that it needs and craves.

kkh

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I didn't see the show but I know some of those ppl actually do try to convert their pet animals into their way of diet which, IMO, is wrong, very unnatural, and unhealthy. From what I've read, dogs can be vegetarian/vegan but definitely NOT CATS. I've been semi-vegan/vegetarian but I'd NEVER convert my baby into that, oh hell no!

jellybeankitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by KKH

From what I've read, dogs can be vegetarian/vegan but definitely NOT CATS.
Dogs should NOT be put on a vegetarian/vegan diet either. The healthiest diet for dogs AND cats is raw meat. Vegetarian/Vegan diets will cause nothing but problems in the long run for both animals. Dogs don't digest grains and veggies well just like cats.

I've been a vegetarian for 6 years and I would NEVER think about doing such a thing to my animals, it's cruel.

sweetkara

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Maybe they mean they just don't give their cat like actual pieces of chicken, beef, etc. Maybe they just give it dry food and don't realize it does have some meat in it.

sol

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Unfortuntely I know some vegetarians make their cats vegetarians. It's one of the most selfish things you can to. I've been a vegetarian for 7 years and it was during this time I realized my cats should eat MORE meat, not less.

I understand that some people don't wanna support the meat industry in any way, but these people shouldn't have a cat! They should get a rabbit, a guinea pig or another natural vegetarian. Rabbits are wonderful pets!

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i have vegetarian friends who think I am bonkers for buying meat for my cats, but they do at least feed wet and dry food, it just doesnt get supplemented. A lack of taurine can cause blindness, heart issues and death in cats, and they need meat for it, although I believe you can get supplements for raw feeding which include it. Even dog food is being changed now to include it.

david's steph

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sol

Unfortuntely I know some vegetarians make their cats vegetarians. It's one of the most selfish things you can to. I've been a vegetarian for 7 years and it was during this time I realized my cats should eat MORE meat, not less.

I understand that some people don't wanna support the meat industry in any way, but these people shouldn't have a cat! They should get a rabbit, a guinea pig or another natural vegetarian. Rabbits are wonderful pets!
I've been a vegan for 4 years now and a lacto-ovo vegetarian for 6 years before that..I would NEVER not feed my cats meat..from all of the research I've done on cats they are obligate carnivores, not omnivores as from what I understand humans and even dogs are..I would hope most people who choose not to eat animals (and animal products) are well-educated enought to know that biologically, cats need meat..it IS a dilemma for animal rights activists, to not support the meat industry on one hand, yet choose to care for an obligate carnivorous animal on the other..I so agree about adopting a herbivore if that dilemma would cause someone to neglect their cat..

Asteria

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so glad to hear from other vegetarians and vegans that they wouldn't take meat away from their animals, either.

maxcat08

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sol

Unfortuntely
Very well said. I agree!