TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Health › Have you ever heard of someone making their cat a vegetarian?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Have you ever heard of someone making their cat a vegetarian? - Page 2

post #31 of 40
There are actually commercial cat foods out there being sold which are vegetarian/vegan. I don't get it...
I actually have some vegetarian dog food samples here but that's because I wanted to see if my rats liked it (rats are omnivores btw.)
post #32 of 40
Yup, I've known people (not personally - through the net) that place their cats on a vegetarian diet. I read this in one their post:-

*It is possible that a cat can live on a vegetarian diet and thrive as long as it gets all its required nutrients from non-meat based substitutes.

It is best to purchase a scientifically proven vegan cat food product that has had extensive case studies and tests on cats rather than try to prepare it yourself.

It is true that it seems unnatural for cats to not eat meat but domestic cats are already living in our homes and rarely need to hunt for stuff, so it is not unnatural for them to simply eat what we give them. It is also true that the cats might find the vegan food less tasty.

Furthermore, there isn't much naturalness about mixing lousy meat into a machine, adding additives/preservatives and making them into dry kibbles. If you're so caught up about having to be natural, then let your cats go outdoors to find their own food. Since what we are giving our cats is already unnatural, I do not see a big deal of giving our cats nutritionally balanced vegan cat food.*
post #33 of 40
Thread Starter 
It's intresting to read through everything, I'm glad to see most people had the same reaction as me! If I actually met someone like that in person.....I would have a fit most likely.
post #34 of 40
I'm a vegetarian and I'd NEVER do that to my cats! I've heard it can cause blindness, ad other really bad problems. That's really awful :/
post #35 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by tutti_bella View Post
Yup, I've known people (not personally - through the net) that place their cats on a vegetarian diet. I read this in one their post:-

*It is possible that a cat can live on a vegetarian diet and thrive as long as it gets all its required nutrients from non-meat based substitutes.

It is best to purchase a scientifically proven vegan cat food product that has had extensive case studies and tests on cats rather than try to prepare it yourself.

It is true that it seems unnatural for cats to not eat meat but domestic cats are already living in our homes and rarely need to hunt for stuff, so it is not unnatural for them to simply eat what we give them. It is also true that the cats might find the vegan food less tasty.

Furthermore, there isn't much naturalness about mixing lousy meat into a machine, adding additives/preservatives and making them into dry kibbles. If you're so caught up about having to be natural, then let your cats go outdoors to find their own food. Since what we are giving our cats is already unnatural, I do not see a big deal of giving our cats nutritionally balanced vegan cat food.*
The fat that domestic cats live an "unnatural life" and eat "artficial" food is not an argument for a vegetarian diet. No words can change the fact that cats are made to eat meat, meat, meat, meat some bones and innards. The fact that a diet of dry food is artificial is not an excuse to feed cats an even more artificial diet, a vegetarian one.

The further away the diet comes from the natural diet, the bigger the risk for disease. I'm not a fan of dry food so you might be able to picture how I feel about vegetarian food for cats. My cats are fed a diet as natural as possible, a raw diet, just because I choose what they eat. They can't do it themselves and therefor it's my responsibility to feed them as well as possible. Not as ethical as possible (if you can call it ethical to force an unnatural diet upon an animal).
post #36 of 40
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol View Post
The fat that domestic cats live an "unnatural life" and eat "artficial" food is not an argument for a vegetarian diet. No words can change the fact that cats are made to eat meat, meat, meat, meat some bones and innards. The fact that a diet of dry food is artificial is not an excuse to feed cats an even more artificial diet, a vegetarian one.

The further away the diet comes from the natural diet, the bigger the risk for disease. I'm not a fan of dry food so you might be able to picture how I feel about vegetarian food for cats. My cats are fed a diet as natural as possible, a raw diet, just because I choose what they eat. They can't do it themselves and therefor it's my responsibility to feed them as well as possible. Not as ethical as possible (if you can call it ethical to force an unnatural diet upon an animal).
I'll have to agree
post #37 of 40
I'm vegetarian, I only have been for 3 months, but i totally disagree with that.. it's just disgusting... i do know of some people who fed their cats veggie diets and they were 'healthy' yeah right! Cats need taurine, which is why they cannot be fed dog food - taurine is an amino acid and is crucial for their eyesight - dog food does not need to contain taurine and veggies do not have taurine either.
post #38 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by booktigger View Post
A lack of taurine can cause blindness, heart issues and death in cats, and they need meat for it, although I believe you can get supplements for raw feeding which include it.
Actually raw meat CONTAINS taurine. A cooked diet would need supplemented with taurine though, as the heat destroys it if I'm not mistaken.

I'm not defending feeding a cat a vegetarian diet, but did want to mention that it IS possible for a vegan to supplement the diet with taurine and not violate their beliefs. When I discovered my baby kitty was blind from what I suspected to be a taurine deficiency (guessing her mother mostly ate from garbage cans and whatnot and became deficient), I went to the health food store at my chiropractor's office and bought a bottle of tauine supplement. It says on the label that there are no animal-derived ingredients in it and is "vegan friendly." And it must work, as my kitty can see now.

Also, all the good dog foods I know of supplement with taurine. Not only is it good for the dogs' eyes too, but it's been found to have benefits for the heart as well.
post #39 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnzoLeya View Post
I was watching TV with my SO the other day and there was a CRAZY vegan family that wouldn't even feed their cats meat! I don't understand how this could be healthy for a cat! Is it possible to feed a cat all vegies and no meat?

Just curious!
I have been a vegan for a large part of my life. I can point to our intestines and teeth as proof that we should be. I can point to the Bible. I could do a lot of things but cats are meat eaters. If you believe in the good book, God told Noah to be a vegetarian (after he got off the boat). PM me if you doubt this. But he never told cats this! Cats and humans have a totally different digestion system and dental system. Even when I was the most devout vegan and would not even touch honey, I gave my cat anything it wanted! Just to let you know that all of us veggies do not think this way at all.
post #40 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbrcpr View Post
Actually raw meat CONTAINS taurine. A cooked diet would need supplemented with taurine though, as the heat destroys it if I'm not mistaken.

I'm not defending feeding a cat a vegetarian diet, but did want to mention that it IS possible for a vegan to supplement the diet with taurine and not violate their beliefs. When I discovered my baby kitty was blind from what I suspected to be a taurine deficiency (guessing her mother mostly ate from garbage cans and whatnot and became deficient), I went to the health food store at my chiropractor's office and bought a bottle of tauine supplement. It says on the label that there are no animal-derived ingredients in it and is "vegan friendly." And it must work, as my kitty can see now.

Also, all the good dog foods I know of supplement with taurine. Not only is it good for the dogs' eyes too, but it's been found to have benefits for the heart as well.

Thanks for that - it must be a raw diet where you have frozen the meat when you need to add some more taurine then. It is a while since i looked at raw food recipes.

I didn't realise taurine supplements are vegan friendly, that is interesting.

Yes, i didn't mention that - they never used to be, but they do seem to be starting. Taurine also benefits cats hearts too
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cat Health
TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Health › Have you ever heard of someone making their cat a vegetarian?