Please pray for a friend

karmasmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I need some vibes right now....

On Thursday night one of my good friends and coworkers was on his way home from work. He rides his bike to and from work everyday. He ran a red light, like he always did, even after all of us told him he needed to be carefull. Well he was hit by a car. The prognosis is not good . The doctors have informed us that since he was not wearing a helmet
, ALWAYS WEAR A HELMET WHEN RIDING!!!!!! that he will not make it. The damage to his head is too much. They said they would wait for his family to arrive, they live in W. Virginia, we are in Southern California, they would give them time to say their goodbyes and then let him go. He crashed twice while the doctors waited for his family and said if he crashed again they would not do anything and let him go.
He can't breath on his own or anything. Basicly he is already gone. The doctors are just buying some time for his family. The doctors say by the end of tonight(saturday) he should be gone. So know its just the waiting game.

It sucks. He was only 22. One of the best guys I ever knew. He was always hapy and loved everyone. He did not have one mean bone in his body. I just don't know what to do right now. We are all still working and spending time together but its just wierd. I want to be at work but at the same time I don't. I just don't know how to feel. I am still very numb to the whole thing right now. I keep hopeing the phone will ring and it will be my boss telling me he will make it, that he is breathing on his own and the swelling has gone down. But I know deep down that will not happen. I feel horable for his family. The one saving grace is he just got back after a 3 week vaction with his whole family. So they will have some great memories.

I feel lost
I just don't know what to do.

He was hit just a few blocks from where I live. My DH and I heard the sirens that night and made comments on how something big must of happened. If we had only known what had happened. I would have been by his side. DH says to stop thinking that way, even if we had know there would have been nothing we could do. Its better that I didn't see him. My last memory was him telling me how he won 300 in Vegas with his family playing blackjack. He was trying to figure out how to spend it.

Why is it always to good people why can't it be someone who deserves it. I know thats a bad thing to say but its true. I just don't know what to do. I just want to run away and hide.

Sorry for rambleing but my mind is just spinning. Please pray that a miracle will happen and that he pulls through. Please pray that his family stays strong. Please pray that we all stay strong through this.

His name is Atip.......

Atip man please make it. I love you .

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh sweetheart, I'm so sorry for your friend. I hope a miracle happens for him -- but if it doesn't, at least he had friends like you who will remember him with such love.

Maybe you and his other friends could do something useful in his memory -- like a local campaign for bike helmets. You might be able to get some billboard company to donate space on boards that aren't being used for a message about the importance of helmets. Your friend could end up saving a lot of lives that way.

kittymonsters

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I will be keeping you, Atip and his family in my thoughts. This is a real tragedy. Unfortunately at age 22 we still have no concept of our own mortality.

I agree with Carol that an excellent way to remember him is to start a bike safety campaign. This is not only for wearing helmets, but obeying the rules of the road...motor vehicles and bicycles.

Accidents of this type are going to be on the rise with the increase in bikers due to gas costs. My sister almost hit a biker on her way home the other day. This person was riding between two lanes of cars then made a turn right in front of her vehicle. It was a young man, no helmet, and he probably doesn't even realize how lucky he is to still be alive.

Now is the time to increase awareness, to prevent more tragedies like Atip's.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
my brother was 22 when he died from a motorcycle accident... he also was not wearing his helmet.
sending & for Atip...

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kittymonsters

...This is not only for wearing helmets, but obeying the rules of the road...motor vehicles and bicycles.

Accidents of this type are going to be on the rise with the increase in bikers due to gas costs....
I've been worried about that latter point lately... I do see more people on two wheels around here, and they're so vulnerable. I've never understood why bicycles shouldn't be on the sidewalk, myself... better a collision between a bike and a pedestrian than between a bike and a car.

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

Maybe you and his other friends could do something useful in his memory -- like a local campaign for bike helmets. You might be able to get some billboard company to donate space on boards that aren't being used for a message about the importance of helmets. Your friend could end up saving a lot of lives that way.
I think that's a very good idea..

You can't blame yourself for his accident, and you can't blame yourself for not going to the scene of the accident. You didn't know it was him that was involved, and you couldn't force him to wear a helmet. Maybe he's so special that the Lord has a reason for wanting him to come home so soon..

I'll be praying for him too, but if he doesn't make it, maybe it'll help if you know he's in a better place.

~KK~

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

karmasmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the vibes everyone.

I am sad to say that today around 2pm Atip was taken off life support. He went quickly and quietly. He is now at rest. We will be having a candle light vigil for him tomorrow and his bike friends will be doing a ghost ride this week for him.

Please continue to keep his family and friends in your thoughts. We all need them now more than ever.

Atip, I love you and will miss you.

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry.
He must have been a very special person for the Lord to take him Home so soon.

RIP, Atip.

~KK~

trillcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry you lost your good friend.
to you and all who loved him to heal now.

katkisses

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry for this tragic loss.

I belive that you wern't meant to see him like that... at the scene. That would have been etched into your memory instead of all of the good times.

Prays for him, you, his family, and the driver.