TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Behavior › Joey spraying ME
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Joey spraying ME

post #1 of 12
Thread Starter 
Joey is an indoor/outdoor cat, came here as a stray 5 years ago. He is extremely attached to me, almost overkill, he actually hugs me around the neck and just can't get enough of me sometimes So anyway he sprayed me this morning while he was getting lovins from me, this is not the first time, he has sprayed me before, but it was months ago, I don't know if he thinks I'm his territory or what. Also he sprays in the house, we have feliway all over the place and he's been to the vet, she says it's behavioral
Any insight would be great, Thanks.
post #2 of 12
You might want to check with the Vet to make sure its nothing medical. If it isn't, the fact that yours is an inside/outside cat makes it more difficult. If there's new cats around the area that might be why he's marking, he feels he's protecting his territory.

I'm having the same problem with my Molasses, except he's strictly indoors. He's been marking everything curtains, furniture, my clothes and me. I was sitting at my table he jumped up and the next thing I saw was urine coming at my face. There are some stray cats that hang around my yard and Mo doesn't like it. I also use Feliway and the enzyme cleaners, but I have to keep him away from the windows, I'm going to try window film on the windows it lets the sun in but he won't be able to see through it.
post #3 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by aswient View Post
You might want to check with the Vet to make sure its nothing medical. If it isn't, the fact that yours is an inside/outside cat makes it more difficult. If there's new cats around the area that might be why he's marking, he feels he's protecting his territory.

I'm having the same problem with my Molasses, except he's strictly indoors. He's been marking everything curtains, furniture, my clothes and me. I was sitting at my table he jumped up and the next thing I saw was urine coming at my face. There are some stray cats that hang around my yard and Mo doesn't like it. I also use Feliway and the enzyme cleaners, but I have to keep him away from the windows, I'm going to try window film on the windows it lets the sun in but he won't be able to see through it.

I feel for you

He has been to the vet, she thinks he's just obsessed with me...that doesn't help me
post #4 of 12
this might be a dumb question but is he fixed? I didnt know that fixed kitties would do this .
post #5 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmyfurbabys View Post
this might be a dumb question but is he fixed? I didnt know that fixed kitties would do this .
Yes, he's fixed, he was fixed at 8 months, as soon as he trusted us enough to put him in a carrier
post #6 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella713 View Post
Yes, he's fixed, he was fixed at 8 months, as soon as he trusted us enough to put him in a carrier
I'm sorry hes doing this to you
post #7 of 12
Don't forget, you do have a new feline in the family. It may be connected to that.
post #8 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemlady View Post
Don't forget, you do have a new feline in the family. It may be connected to that.
I know Jan, and it could be part of it, BUT he's done it before Aren't I lucky
post #9 of 12
Maybe Joey and Seldon need to get a studio apartment together...
Yes, Seldon thinks I am his as Joey thinks you are his. He wants you all to himself.
You may have to do what I had to do. I had to put Seldon in isolation. It was getting ridiculous. He was spraying ALL OF THE TIME.
I know you help ferals and now you have a little guy there...I wonder if Joey does not smell the ferals on you. Couple that with some cats outside bothering him and the new addition he may feel threatened. He may think he is going to lose his Mommy.
If that doesn't work you may have to do prozac to make him stop.

Gee I pity you for being sprayed on.
I have come to realize that this behavior also affects the other cats. Seldon is isolated and they seem thrilled. Cleo and Mary are back to spending more time with me. His constant spraying was irritating the others.
post #10 of 12
I was reading this book by an animal behaviorist, "The Cat Who Cried For Help," and there's a cat in the book who pees on his owner and all her things. The behaviorist says that this is definitely stress focused around the owner. When he probed further, he found that the woman had had her new boyfriend move in exactly when the cat's behavior started... because of the intruder, the cat was marking the woman as belonging to her.

Sounds like something similar with your cat. He is very attached to you and may have been suffering from things like separation anxiety whenever you left... now that the new cat is there, he's even more worried about showing that you are his.

In the case study in the book, they used the anti-anxiety medication buspirone and some behavioral training to solve the cat's problem. The medication worked right away, but then they did things like have the boyfriend take over feeding the cat, so the cat would associate good things with the boyfriend. After a few months, they tapered off the medication and the cat was fine.

In your case, maybe you could give the cat treats only when he's near the new kitten, so he associates the kitten with good things.
post #11 of 12
i agree with emmylou, i read that book too!

my cat peed on my leg while i was sleeping - i had just gotten back froma four day trip. mine.

another time the cat peed on a boyfriends shoes hehe i just got rid of the bf LOL
post #12 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by emmylou View Post
I was reading this book by an animal behaviorist, "The Cat Who Cried For Help," and there's a cat in the book who pees on his owner and all her things. The behaviorist says that this is definitely stress focused around the owner. When he probed further, he found that the woman had had her new boyfriend move in exactly when the cat's behavior started... because of the intruder, the cat was marking the woman as belonging to her.

Sounds like something similar with your cat. He is very attached to you and may have been suffering from things like separation anxiety whenever you left... now that the new cat is there, he's even more worried about showing that you are his.

In the case study in the book, they used the anti-anxiety medication buspirone and some behavioral training to solve the cat's problem. The medication worked right away, but then they did things like have the boyfriend take over feeding the cat, so the cat would associate good things with the boyfriend. After a few months, they tapered off the medication and the cat was fine.

In your case, maybe you could give the cat treats only when he's near the new kitten, so he associates the kitten with good things.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OGnStub View Post
i agree with emmylou, i read that book too!

my cat peed on my leg while i was sleeping - i had just gotten back froma four day trip. mine.

another time the cat peed on a boyfriends shoes hehe i just got rid of the bf LOL


Thank you. LOL about the BF

About a year ago Joey fell ill, He was in the e-vet over night then our vet for 2 nights, when he came home he would not let me out of his sight for a minute, I had to hold him like a baby. That's when the attachment began. He goes in and out all day so he's not here 24/7 like the others. I absolutely adore him and he knows it I don't know what to think, I just wish he wouldn't spray me
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cat Behavior
TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Behavior › Joey spraying ME