*****KatKwery! - July 19 - sorry*****

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
for being out yesterday! Meanwhile, glitch used siggy, Cocoa Cream used link, and Marianjela used imagine. We are going to start having slightly more harder words to use, like imagine. Many and total were not used.

Do you think 15 posts in a thread should denote a hot thread when the average thread has almost that many posts? What do you think the number should be, if not? Before doing the math, what would you have guessed was the average number of posts per thread? Did you know where to go look to find the answer? And finally, did you need a calculator?

cocoa cream

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Persi & Alley

Do you think 15 posts in a thread should denote a hot thread when the average thread has almost that many posts? What do you think the number should be, if not? Before doing the math, what would you have guessed was the average number of posts per thread? Did you know where to go look to find the answer? And finally, did you need a calculator?
It does seem to me that the number of posts in a thread required for classification as a hot thread should be higher, especially if the average thread has nearly 15 posts anyway. Maybe it should be 20 or higher, but I don't know. I didn't really even try to figure out yesterday's KatKwiz. I saw that you were going to be away, and I was really busy also. So, I decided just to focus on the KatKwery instead. If I had been trying to find the answer, I probably would have looked at the bottom of the main forum page where the statistics are. But, like I said, I wasn't trying, so I didn't really bother to go check it out.

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

for being out yesterday! Meanwhile, glitch used siggy, Cocoa Cream used link, and Marianjela used imagine. We are going to start having slightly more harder words to use, like imagine. Many and total were not used.

I think 15 is a good number of posts to consider a thread hot. There's what, 11 posts per page. So 15 would mean a second page. I looked at yesterdays Katkwiz but didn't try to figure it. For one I can't win again until August, for two I'm bad at math.
If I had to guess what the number of posts per thread were, I'd probably would have guessed 10 or 11.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise

actually, i have no opinion on how many posts should categorize a thread as a hot thread... i'm not even really sure if it matters, anyway. i look at threads that interest me, not necessarily ones that are popular! i didn't even try to do the math!
like i said previously, this is what math does to me
!
but if i had wanted to attempt it, i probably would've needed a calculator [other than the one i was born with!].

marianjela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If it were a guessing question and not mathematical, I think I would have estimated higher. I was surprised when I figured it out to only be around 14. Realizing that 14 is the average number of posts, I definitely think that a "hot thread" should require more posts. Of the 30 threads in "The Cat Lounge" front page right now, 16 of them are HOT. Although, like a previous poster said, I never pay attention to the envelope colors anyway. I rely on the subject lines to grab my attention. That - and I use the mouse over technique.

My first thought when I read the KatKwiz was that we were going to have to count the number of posts from all the threads since inception.
Thank goodness it was a fleeting thought and I came to my senses quickly. Once I did, I knew exactly where to look; on the main forums page. I most definitely needed an abacus, adding machine, fingers and toes
. I may be a math major, but with numbers like 2,288,453 and 158,415, sorry... brain-batteries went dead. Gotta love the built-in convenience of a calculator on the computer!

By the way - thank you for the IMAGINE points! I love signing on and getting mail from you Lee
And I'm glad to see you back, I cant believe you are here after just having surgery (same-day or not!).

glitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Thanks for the points! You rock! Ummm I think around 20 posts/comments should make a hot thread, a popular thread or whatever you want to call it! I was actually pretty sure the numbers were pretty similar, I thought that the average number of posts was close to what made it a popular thread! I knew where to look, but knew my answer would be different from everyone elses due to the different time frame for which I answered it! Of course I would have needed a calculater, even with all 4 kids fingers toes, and the husbands we all didn't have enough apendigas for that! That makes me think that my computer can do so much, yet it only understands 0 & 1 in different order... And I trust it to do my math! So umm... whats the katklick? Im not going away that easy!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Marianjela

If it were a guessing question and not mathematical, I think I would have estimated higher. I was surprised when I figured it out to only be around 14. Realizing that 14 is the average number of posts, I definitely think that a "hot thread" should require more posts. Of the 30 threads in "The Cat Lounge" front page right now, 16 of them are HOT. Although, like a previous poster said, I never pay attention to the envelope colors anyway. I rely on the subject lines to grab my attention. That - and I use the mouse over technique.

My first thought when I read the KatKwiz was that we were going to have to count the number of posts from all the threads since inception.
Thank goodness it was a fleeting thought and I came to my senses quickly. Once I did, I knew exactly where to look; on the main forums page. I most definitely needed an abacus, adding machine, fingers and toes
. I may be a math major, but with numbers like 2,288,453 and 158,415, sorry... brain-batteries went dead. Gotta love the built-in convenience of a calculator on the computer!

By the way - thank you for the IMAGINE points! I love signing on and getting mail from you Lee
And I'm glad to see you back, I cant believe you are here after just having surgery (same-day or not!).
Having been married in a liberal church, Imagine was our chosen wedding song. DW was elated that somebody actually go that word. And me too.