Care Packages? What should i put in one?

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is in reguards to the other thread i posted about my cousin loosing her baby. Since i can not be there with them right now because i'm in a different state, i want to do something for them, even if it's small.

I'd love to put together a little care package for them. I'm just not sure what to put in it? It'd be for my cousin, her husband and the two older kids.

I was thinking of making it mostly for my cousin Christie, and putting a few things in there that they all might like. I wanted to get her a few of my favorite things that always cheer me up a bit when i'm sad and put a note in there for them as well. I was thinking about making some homemade cookies, putting maybe one of my favorite Lush products in there (probably a yummy shower gel or something else like that, a nice candle,

i don't know what else really to include.

To be perfectly honest -last week i thought about putting together a little care package for them (before any of this happened) just to send a few cute baby things her way and some cookies or something for all of them. I had found the most sweet white teddy bear in the mall and was going to go back and get it to send to her for the baby. Now i'm really glad i didn't send a package yet! That would have been really hard if they had new baby stuff and then had that happen today.

Whatever i include, i want to be very sensitive about it and make sure it's nothing that will upset her.

Any ideas? Also, if i do send food- how to i pack/ship it?

(When Savanna passed, my family set up a memorial fund with St. Jude and made a donation in her memory (we still do every anniversary).

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, this is a hard one. I did read your other thread but I didn't have a chance to respond, so first of all, I am so sorry.

This wasn't only your sister's loss, it was the whole family's loss (it was going to be BIL's first child right?) so first thing I would get would be a gift certificate for a local restaurant. No one in the family is in the mood to cook right now, so that would give them an opportunity to spend time together as a family.

Lush items would be great for your sister (anything to pamper herself right now), and chocolate or home baked cookies are something everyone can enjoy. I don't think you really need to worry about shipping them as long as they are packed well. My old boyfriend's mother used to send us cookies and homemade chocolates for Christmas and she would just put them in a tin and put a papertowel or wax paper between the layers. Some of the cookies were a little broken but still were delicious!

I don't know the other children's ages, but maybe throw in a special thing just for them.

Basically, what ever you send them, they will know you are thinking about them. I think it is so sweet you want to do this! You are a very special person.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What about a funny-type movie that would make them laugh? Like the Incredibles or something? A book for your cousin? Something light or romantic just to entertain?

Don't know about bath things - if she has to have a D&C she can't bathe for a bit, and might not want to think about that part of it...

I like the restaurant idea - send a game maybe that they don't have that they could all play and laugh together?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by calico2222

Oh, this is a hard one. I did read your other thread but I didn't have a chance to respond, so first of all, I am so sorry.

This wasn't only your sister's loss, it was the whole family's loss (it was going to be BIL's first child right?) so first thing I would get would be a gift certificate for a local restaurant. No one in the family is in the mood to cook right now, so that would give them an opportunity to spend time together as a family.

Lush items would be great for your sister (anything to pamper herself right now), and chocolate or home baked cookies are something everyone can enjoy. I don't think you really need to worry about shipping them as long as they are packed well. My old boyfriend's mother used to send us cookies and homemade chocolates for Christmas and she would just put them in a tin and put a papertowel or wax paper between the layers. Some of the cookies were a little broken but still were delicious!

I don't know the other children's ages, but maybe throw in a special thing just for them.

Basically, what ever you send them, they will know you are thinking about them. I think it is so sweet you want to do this! You are a very special person.
Thank you so much for some of those great ideas
I appreciate it! It's actually my cousin, not my sister though!

I like the idea of a resturant gift card, but to be honest they live out in the middle of nowhere and they're about a half hour away from the nearest resturants and all so i'm not sure that would be so good right now since i'm pretty sure they're gonna be staying home for a bit. I wish i could send her some Krystals cheeseburgers though (like the southern version of Whitecastles for you northern folks)- those are her absolute favorite and she can't get them in Oklahoma.

I almost want to get her a bunch of those and send them to her overnight- but since they have meat/dairy on them i'm afraid they won't keep well and also wouldn't know how to package or ship them.

(I think Zach is 12 and Breanna is 9 or 10 - i'm soo bad with ages though, there's tons of kids in our family- i've got 8 nieces and nephews, 2 great nieces, a great nephew on the way, and my second cousins (zach & bre). It's hard to keep up lol. I know Zach LOVES Nascar and anything to do with farming/being a cowboy (they live on a farm), and Breanna is really a girly girl, so maybe something they could both like
)

Originally Posted by kluchetta

What about a funny-type movie that would make them laugh? Like the Incredibles or something? A book for your cousin? Something light or romantic just to entertain?

Don't know about bath things - if she has to have a D&C she can't bathe for a bit, and might not want to think about that part of it...

I like the restaurant idea - send a game maybe that they don't have that they could all play and laugh together?
Now i like the movie idea! That could be something they might all enjoy.The only thing is i won't know if they already have it! I might could ask my aunt if i can get ahold of her later!

As far as the Lush stuff goes- i was planning to stay away from bubble bars and bath bombs for that very reason, just in case. I was thinking about doing a nice shower gel or massage bar instead maybe or some hand cream i think she might like.

Originally Posted by laureen227

Apples to Apples is a good one for multiple age players - we've played it often w/an adult-kid mix.
They might really like that! I'm going to ask my aunt if she knows if they have that game or not- i think it'd be fun for everyone.