Emergency with neighbor's cat

ninacaliente

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My neighbor has a young female cat who is obviously pregnant, but he doesn't think at term yet. This cat apparently started walking abnormally earlier today, and for the last few hours has been unable to stand for long. She's having what I think are seizures, where her body tenses and she rolls over, grabbing the furniture with her claws. In between these episodes she is very quiet. I tried feeling her belly, and I don't think she's having contractions. This neighbor has no money to take this cat to the vet, and I don't have any money to help him. (I just spent my vet fund on my dog last week.) Do any of you have any idea what might be causing this, or anything that could be done to help her? I know that what she really needs is to go to a vet, but I am not in a position to take her myself.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by NinaCaliente

My neighbor has a young female cat who is obviously pregnant, but he doesn't think at term yet. This cat apparently started walking abnormally earlier today, and for the last few hours has been unable to stand for long. She's having what I think are seizures, where her body tenses and she rolls over, grabbing the furniture with her claws. In between these episodes she is very quiet. I tried feeling her belly, and I don't think she's having contractions. This neighbor has no money to take this cat to the vet, and I don't have any money to help him. (I just spent my vet fund on my dog last week.) Do any of you have any idea what might be causing this, or anything that could be done to help her? I know that what she really needs is to go to a vet, but I am not in a position to take her myself.
Without being able to actually see the cat, nobody here could possibly diagnose what may or may not be wrong, and even then we would just be guessing. I realize you say neither of you can afford a vet, but this cat really does need to be seen by a vet and now. Possibly you could get hold of a vet and find out if they would let you pay in installments with post-dated cheques or something of that nature. Especially your own vet would probably help out since he knows you and you were just there last week. Please try to work something out with your vet and get this kitty seen now.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ninacaliente

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If this was one of my own animals I would certainly do whatever it took to get her to the vet. The thing is, I had wanted to take this cat in myself a couple of weeks ago (the neighbor wants to rehome her), but ultimately decided not to, partially because we cannot afford to pay for vet care for any more animals (particularly pregnant ones). There is no way my DH would go for us going into debt to take someone else's cat to the vet.

Thanks for your reply though. I know nobody can diagnose her over the internet, I just thought maybe someone might have seen something like this before and have some "it couldn't hurt to try" sort of ideas. I just feel awful about this whole situation.