TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › OMG, the heat is to much!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

OMG, the heat is to much!

post #1 of 10
Thread Starter 
I'm in NYC, work at a nursery/garden center and am outside all day from 8-6. Long story short, to many hours, to much sun! I don't know what exactly happened to me but I ended up hyper ventilating, couldn't breath! Lost my vision and limbs became tingly and numb, pouring sweat from all over my body...basically over heated and my body called it quits on me! Never felt any thing like it before, never want to again! We have mid 90's with high humidity right now, tomorrow is suppose to be worse, and I'm working and worried..........
Any one else experience this and how do you cope?
post #2 of 10
I live in Memphis.... I understand! We deal with horrible heat down here pretty often.

The key is to stay well hydrated! Drink before you think you're thirsty, eat small/healthy snacks before you think you're hungry. If you wait until you're hungry/thirsty you're gonna get sick! Make sure you avoid caffine too- it makes you dehydrate. Drink lots of fresh cold water! I carry a big purple water bottle everywhere with me when i go outside or run errands. I fill it up with tons of ice and fresh water and sip on it throughout the day- it really helps. Also- don't forget the sunscreen!!! When it gets really hot out- you might want to consider something with lots of electrolytes in it like a good sports drink.

Be sure that you also take frequent breaks- go inside in the AC and take a few "bathroom" breaks to cool off if you need to. Wearing a visor can and cool, lightweight cotton clothes can help too. Try and work in the shade as much as you can too.

(I had two heat strokes (different occassions) when i was little - they are not fun and can be very dangerous if they get out of hand- so definitely do what you need to do to responsibly take care of yourself in the heat!)
post #3 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheylink View Post
I'm in NYC, work at a nursery/garden center and am outside all day from 8-6. Long story short, to many hours, to much sun! I don't know what exactly happened to me but I ended up hyper ventilating, couldn't breath! Lost my vision and limbs became tingly and numb, pouring sweat from all over my body...basically over heated and my body called it quits on me! Never felt any thing like it before, never want to again! We have mid 90's with high humidity right now, tomorrow is suppose to be worse, and I'm working and worried..........
Any one else experience this and how do you cope?
I had this happen once as a kid. I was playing outside and not too close to the house. I was hyper ventilating like you and I kept feeling like I was going to faint. I had to walk home so I would sit and rest then get up and walk, then have to sit and rest again. It was like that all the way home. It's really hot here right now too. I find I can't smoke outside or I get short of breath.
post #4 of 10
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarryEyedTiGeR View Post
I live in Memphis.... I understand! We deal with horrible heat down here pretty often.

The key is to stay well hydrated! Drink before you think you're thirsty, eat small/healthy snacks before you think you're hungry. If you wait until you're hungry/thirsty you're gonna get sick! Make sure you avoid caffine too- it makes you dehydrate. Drink lots of fresh cold water! I carry a big purple water bottle everywhere with me when i go outside or run errands. I fill it up with tons of ice and fresh water and sip on it throughout the day- it really helps. Also- don't forget the sunscreen!!! When it gets really hot out- you might want to consider something with lots of electrolytes in it like a good sports drink.

Be sure that you also take frequent breaks- go inside in the AC and take a few "bathroom" breaks to cool off if you need to. Wearing a visor can and cool, lightweight cotton clothes can help too. Try and work in the shade as much as you can too.

(I had two heat strokes (different occassions) when i was little - they are not fun and can be very dangerous if they get out of hand- so definitely do what you need to do to responsibly take care of yourself in the heat!)
Somebody said it wasn't a heat stroke because I was sweating profusely and actually shrugged it off as if I was exaggerating......kinda pissed me off! I was in serious distress and didn't know what was happening to me!
I'm definitely going to pace myself more cautiously and take extra precautions, hydrating and cooling breaks. Thanks!
post #5 of 10
Well, on one hand he was right, if you're sweating that isn't heat stroke, it's heat exhaustion. (the next step down). Hyperventilation, though is a sign of the worse coming on... On the other hand, what a JERK.

Be Very, Very, VERY careful tomorrow. After suffering a heat episode you aren't supposed to do strenuous work in the heat for a few days!
post #6 of 10
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forensic View Post
Well, on one hand he was right, if you're sweating that isn't heat stroke, it's heat exhaustion. (the next step down). Hyperventilation, though is a sign of the worse coming on... On the other hand, what a JERK.

Be Very, Very, VERY careful tomorrow. After suffering a heat episode you aren't supposed to do strenuous work in the heat for a few days!
Yeah, to be honest I definitely am not feeling myself and am going to take extra precaution, but it is vital that I am there for the plants sake.............most other employees have the ability to turn off the "give a sh*t" switch better then I!
post #7 of 10
I've had heat exhaustion several times - not recently thank goodness. Definitely make sure to stay hydrated, and I would also consider eating salty foods to keep your water retention up (as long as you do not have high blood pressure or anything.) Force water and definitely cover up your head and face. I hope you're ok! It's supposed to be about 100 here on Sunday - icky!
post #8 of 10
I work outside doing gardening and landscape maintenance and have had heat exhaustion too.
Thankfully not yet this year.
I weigh myself every day before I leave and when I come back.-Wed for instance even though I was in the shade and drinking water I still lost 2 pounds.
I always have in my truck some electrolyte powder-Emergen-C has it in little packets.
I buy powedered gatorade and mix it about 2/3 strength.
I have two quasi ugly hats-not baseball caps that have wider brims to shield my head a bit. I don't like taking breaks at clients homes but I admit I may work a bit slower at times. I carry a towel with be on my belt to wipe the sweat off- when I do this I take a drink of water. If you can carry a dish towel soaked and wrung out in cold water and drape around neck-I do this when I'm driving home.
My 1st sign of heat exhaustion is that I stop sweating-so watch for that. try to stay in the shade whenever possible esp during the hours of about 11-4 which seem the worst times for me. If you can stay out of the sun for a few minutes every hour it seems to help. When its this type of weather I only work until noon -my health is more important than money and my clients all understand this.
Are you watering plants mainly?? Or helping clients??
post #9 of 10
It get extremely hot here during the summer. Just last week, a migrant worker died of the heat. They have cooling centers for people that do not have AC. When I get off work at 5pm, it is so hot I can barely standing it. By the time I get home, my face is red and sweaty.
post #10 of 10
3 farm workers have died so far this year here. Also a lady here died last week because her A/C broke. Then a man died in Turlock because he could not aford A/C/ One of the workers that died was Preg. I can not be out when its hot like this beacuse I get dizzy and Migraines.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: The Cat Lounge
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › OMG, the heat is to much!